Barry Bannan

villianusa

The pass was **** 18 inches sideways from a free kick which Morrison skyed. The shot was from in the box with time and space and was very wide.

Video of the shot is here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/22824428

The chance was created by Hutton(!? who actually played well) and starts at 3.40.

The 18 inch pass was such a non event that it didn't make a 5 minute highlight video. Unsurprisingly.

It's the idea more than the length of the pass. Morrison had a shot at goal. Griffth took a free-kick in the second half and wasted it, didn't clear the first man. Against a team like Croatia it was important to maximise opportunities. Morrison probably told him to knock it short, so he was doing his job. Hardly something to complain about.

The shot was a good idea but it was only a half-chance, aiming for the far corner, from this position. Snatched at it.

2qtl25g.png 

When the ball came to him for the shot he had way more space than in that picture, it's only because he chested it upwards that defender got within 5 yards. I'm not complaining about the pass, just pointing out that it was in no way whatsoever difficult, clever, notable or praiseworthy.

Why don't you focus on what he actually did well? He did a tackle on Srna in the first half and deflected a cross away as well. Much better than a tiny pass and loose control followed by a scuffed shot.

Edited by ArteSuave

The pass was **** 18 inches sideways from a free kick which Morrison skyed. The shot was from in the box with time and space and was very wide.

Video of the shot is here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/22824428

The chance was created by Hutton(!? who actually played well) and starts at 3.40.

The 18 inch pass was such a non event that it didn't make a 5 minute highlight video. Unsurprisingly.

It's the idea more than the length of the pass. Morrison had a shot at goal. Griffth took a free-kick in the second half and wasted it, didn't clear the first man. Against a team like Croatia it was important to maximise opportunities. Morrison probably told him to knock it short, so he was doing his job. Hardly something to complain about.

The shot was a good idea but it was only a half-chance, aiming for the far corner, from this position. Snatched at it.

So, Barry 'perfect percentage' cannot even hit the target from there?

I could :)

Con you originally said this:

"It's fair to say his passing was a bit off but he was missing first team football and he still managed 1 key pass and 1 shot at goal, which shows how involved he was in the action."

Suggesting that the 1 key pass (18" pass) and the 1 shot at goal (well wide) to say he was heavily involved, to try and back up your argument that Bannan played well. When infact when looking at the context of the stats you provided (which were 1 key pass and a shot at goal) we can see contextually the "key pass" wasn't even that good. and the "shot at goal" was well wide. 

Its all good you spouting statistics, but when you don't look at the context around those stats, they start to look a little warped to suit your argument. 

Edited by KjParton
  • Like 1

Werther or not the key pass was a good one or not. Isn't it quite poorly to only produce 1 key pass in a game when you're supposed to be a good playmaker?

Do you have any footage of the pass Con?

I can't find it anywhere.

swpthx.png

And people wonder why he hasn't managed more assists with all his key passes, statistical anomaly my bollox! 

Quite a lot on Google about Bannan to Palace

(Just google 'bannan crystal palace') I cannot seem to link to a google search.

Just get the feeling he will go there. I can't see him fitting in at Swansea, they have too many good quality players. Palace will be battling relegation and need squad players.

Edited by dodgyknees

Just reading the thoughts of Palace fans, many seem not keen, many think he would be an ok addition, then I found this:

Hello

I have seen that you are interested in signing Barry Bannan from my club Aston Villa.

First up the fans on the forum I use are gutted about him leaving, we see him as the best talent we have ever produced, unfortunately though because Bannan has been treated badly by the fans he has to move on.

There is no doubt his world class crossing ability, passing ability and win percentage will keep you up next season.

Bannan is a cross between David Beckham and Iniesta and the bad news for you is, as soon as he gets his fitness, he will move on for a lot of money, I think £20m.

Last night he was the key player as Scotland beat Croatia, being the attacking force through the game, with a massive pass and cross percentage against the 4th best team in the world, it was unrivaled.

The commentator called it the best performance from a Scottish player for 50 years.

This pass against Ipswich in the FA Cup is a typical Bannan play. This is where he likes to be and what he likes to do.

[Link]

Bannan also likes to attempt "hollywood balls" - like this one.

[Link]

Some statistics for last season.

Bannan started 18 games and, including substitute appearances, played 1705 minutes of football.

Of the games he started: we won 6, drew 4, and lost 8. We won 33.3% of games he started, while the team won 26.3% of 38 games played in the season.

His crossing accuracy finished the best in the Premier League, 52/114, which is 44.7%.

His passing accuracy is not great at 80.7%. This is the speed of the Premier League and his decision making. He tries too hard to make the hard pass.

Bannan finished the season with 34 key passes, the most of all our midfielders. He only gained 1 official assist over the season, though Fantasy Premier League count 3 for him on this score. I think he was simply unlucky not to get more assists, he created many good chances that weren't taken.

Nobody wants him to go, but it is for the best of his career.

Good luck Barry!

Personal opinion but, that's what opinion is anyway isn't it. Anyhow mine is that BB will eventually be as effective, if not more so, than any other midfielder we have had in a very long time and on a very consistant basis.

• Like 1

Just reading the thoughts of Palace fans, many seem not keen, many think he would be an ok addition, then I found this:

Hello

I have seen that you are interested in signing Barry Bannan from my club Aston Villa.

First up the fans on the forum I use are gutted about him leaving, we see him as the best talent we have ever produced, unfortunately though because Bannan has been treated badly by the fans he has to move on.

There is no doubt his world class crossing ability, passing ability and win percentage will keep you up next season.

Bannan is a cross between David Beckham and Iniesta and the bad news for you is, as soon as he gets his fitness, he will move on for a lot of money, I think £20m.

Last night he was the key player as Scotland beat Croatia, being the attacking force through the game, with a massive pass and cross percentage against the 4th best team in the world, it was unrivaled.

The commentator called it the best performance from a Scottish player for 50 years.

This pass against Ipswich in the FA Cup is a typical Bannan play. This is where he likes to be and what he likes to do.

[Link]

Bannan also likes to attempt "hollywood balls" - like this one.

[Link]

Some statistics for last season.

Bannan started 18 games and, including substitute appearances, played 1705 minutes of football.

Of the games he started: we won 6, drew 4, and lost 8. We won 33.3% of games he started, while the team won 26.3% of 38 games played in the season.

His crossing accuracy finished the best in the Premier League, 52/114, which is 44.7%.

His passing accuracy is not great at 80.7%. This is the speed of the Premier League and his decision making. He tries too hard to make the hard pass.

Bannan finished the season with 34 key passes, the most of all our midfielders. He only gained 1 official assist over the season, though Fantasy Premier League count 3 for him on this score. I think he was simply unlucky not to get more assists, he created many good chances that weren't taken.

Nobody wants him to go, but it is for the best of his career.

Good luck Barry!

I don't need to point out that this is supposed to be a parody which incorporates some text I actually wrote for the Swansea forum.

Far braver than me in getting the point across that Bannan would be worth having.

Edited by Con