Barry Bannan

villianusa

It just seems like everybody is happy that he played poorly and got subbed off tonight.

Ease up on him. He's not the best player, but he's still a Villa player.

I agree. He wasn't even that bad as far as his work rate and tracking back goes. Not exactly the stand out con was expecting though... Edited by ArteSuave

Co-commentator "Bannan's been excellent. Good communication with Whittaker down the left hand side."

Why was he taken off then?

They said fresh legs. Not played first team football for 3 months so would be assumed to be tired, especially with all that defending.

Very disciplined, hard-working performance. Got a shot away at the other end as well.

As the commentator said: excellent.

Bannan has booked his place in the squad for the England game in August. Might even start. Scotland look good with this passing game.

I only saw the second half so can't comment on his first half performance. Second half he touched the ball 6 times. Two 10 yard passes under no pressure that went straight to the opposition. One 20 yard pass under pressure straight to the opposition. One interception. One successful 1 yard pass. One shot from the corner of the box which went out about midway between the corner flag and the goal.

Scotland are looking more solid since he has come off... just as Villa looked more solid since he was dropped from the team.

As a Villa fan every time he wears the shirt I want him to perform brilliantly. Unfortunately his best ever performance has been average and his average performance is very bad. the sooner he leaves the club the better and if we can get anyone to part with £2m for him then someone had better call the police because a mugging would have taken place.

Co-commentator "Bannan's been excellent. Good communication with Whittaker down the left hand side."

Why was he taken off then?

They said fresh legs. Not played first team football for 3 months so would be assumed to be tired, especially with all that defending.

Very disciplined, hard-working performance. Got a shot away at the other end as well.

As the commentator said: excellent.

Bannan has booked his place in the squad for the England game in August. Might even start. Scotland look good with this passing game.

The Scottish commentator by any chance? The commentator who's job description involves being optimistic about everything so as not to come across and represent their channel as negative? The same job that Gary Neville has to do in which he has to praise Liverpool to the tilt?

And this person praises nothing about his footballing performance just his COMMUNICATION. His COMMUNICATION. :lol:  This does not mean he was excellent Con so don't spin it - it was an awful performance. Again.

So Scotland win a game in which they were battered in. Croatia's attacking force was absolutely diabolical. 18 shots for Croatia yet they didn't seriously test the goalkeeper. One shot on target for Scotland which was incredibly fortunate (a deflection).

However, even though Bannan was largely anonymous and when he did have the ball he lost possession let's all brace ourselves for the points per game argument and how this proves that Bannan is the best Scottish player since Billy Bremner.

God help us.

Edited by AstonMartin82

Bannan wasn't the best player on the pitch. He was the joint best player.

Everyone out there deserves credit for beating the 4th best team in the world rankings.

Great defensive effort - tackles, interceptions, defensive positioning - and a shot at the other end.

Couldn't ask anything more from him, and he probably wasn't asked to do anything more. Everyone were predicting Scotland would get thrashed. Scotland came away with the win.

It's unfair on the central defenders and Maloney to use the term "Bannan Effect" but you can only have so many games like this before you have to grudgingly give him some credit for his influence.

Everyone out there deserves credit for beating the 4th best team in the world rankings.

Great defensive effort - tackles, interceptions, defensive positioning - and a shot at the other end.

Couldn't ask anything more from him, and he probably wasn't asked to do anything more. Everyone were predicting Scotland would get thrashed. Scotland came away with the win.

It's unfair on the central defenders and Maloney to use the term "Bannan Effect" but you can only have so many games like this before you have to grudgingly give him some credit for his influence.

Fair enough. Can't say I watched the game but if you say he played well, thats a good thing for Villa.

Fair enough. Can't say I watched the game but if you say he played well, thats a good thing for Villa.

I didn't.

As he went off subbed the co-commentator for the BBC said he had been "excellent" and said his communication with Whittaker (left fullback) had been good. 

Scotland were defending in their own half almost the entire game so, as I said before the match, there won't be many highlights at the other end.

Bannan did take up a good position in the Croatian penalty area and tried a nifty volley at goal. Went wide.

Strachan said in an interview after the match him and Naismith need to be starting every game. It's hard for them to just come in cold and play the 4th best international team in the world, and beat them.

Edited by Con

Posts from Scottish posters with no bearing either way (Aberdeen and Hearts fans) on another forum I frequent:

Bannan was Scotland's worst player

Yep, was abysmal.

Source: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=31542085#post100243

Are they wrong too?

Edited by StefanAVFC

I didn't.

As he went off subbed the co-commentator for the BBC said he had been "excellent" and said his communication with Whittaker (left fullback) had been good. 

Scotland were defending in their own half almost the entire game so, as I said before the match, there won't be many highlights at the other end.

Bannan did take up a good position in the Croatian penalty area and tried a nifty volley at goal. Went wide.

Strachan said in an interview after the match him and Naismith need to be starting every game. It's hard for them to just come in cold and play the 4th best international team in the world, and beat them.

Fair enough, bodes well for the future then. Lets hope he can kick on from his performances for Scotland and play more of a role for us next season. Unfortunately I think Westwood is too similar to him and also a better player so it will be tough for him.