Barry Bannan

villianusa

If he doesn't tackle and doesn't get assists, what does he do? What is his value to the team or squad?

What is the value of Leon Britton to the Swansea team?

I do think Bannan is an assist getter. He would get them if the finishing was better. That's been more obvious over the last two games when our finishing has been very poor.

I'm not saying really weird trollish comments from Mars. He was complimented in the Guardian for his crossing against Bradford. I posted the quote to this thread. Bannan has real talent that is noticeable to neutral observer. Why are we wasting it?

What is the value of Leon Britton to the Swansea team?

I do think Bannan is an assist getter. He would get them if the finishing was better. That's been more obvious over the last two games when our finishing has been very poor.

I'm not saying really weird trollish comments from Mars. He was complimented in the Guardian for his crossing against Bradford. I posted the quote to this thread. Bannan has real talent that is noticeable to neutral observer. Why are we wasting it?

"Assist Getter"

Lmao 4 assists in 54 appearances?

Who needs Pirlo when you've got Barry Bannan

Bannan is not the answer

Depends on the question. If I asked which 5' 7" Scottish midfielder currently plying his trade in the Premier League should in fact be plying his trade in league one then I'd be confident you'd answer correctly.

Bannan is not the answer

what is the question?

If the question is: how do we create more chances, get accurate set piece delivery, retain ball possession? Bannan is the answer (out of the selection of CMs we have on offer).

If the question is: how do we break down opposition attacks, steal the ball, boss the midfield with strong physical play? Bannan is not the answer.

To be fair Bannan is the best we have at the moment. Is it a coincidence that when he came on we looked more dangerous and better? No, it isn't because its happened before. His crossing is excellent, its a shock when he over hits one and he is certainly streaks ahead of anyone else at Villa. This proves my point, when Villa are not playing well, despite being a good player for us, despite performing well, people are calling for Bannan's head. All because of the same reason boring reasons. When will people realize he's technically our best footballer? Why don't we blame the injuries? Our defense? Benteke's inability to put in the back of the net? Why is Bannan to blame? People seem to criticize him for the sake of it. It seems to me everything Bannan does well is ignored because he made an insignificant mistake in the games he's played. For example, he gave the ball away against Reading which almost led to the goal, so he got branded as shit despite setting up 3 golden opportunities from corners. As for the assists and goals ratio, how many times has Bannan put it on a plate for some of our strikers and they've missed? Also it goes deeper then that, how many of our moves starts off with Bannan? Really need a big midfield presence for Bannan to thrive. At the moment Bannan is the key to our success we improve so much when he is on the pitch, needs to start games!

• Like 1

To be fair Bannan is the best we have at the moment. Is it a coincidence that when he came on we looked more dangerous and better? No, it isn't because its happened before. His crossing is excellent, its a shock when he over hits one and he is certainly streaks ahead of anyone else at Villa. This proves my point, when Villa are not playing well, despite being a good player for us, despite performing well, people are calling for Bannan's head. All because of the same reason boring reasons. When will people realize he's technically our best footballer? Why don't we blame the injuries? Our defense? Benteke's inability to put in the back of the net? Why is Bannan to blame? People seem to criticize him for the sake of it. It seems to me everything Bannan does well is ignored because he made an insignificant mistake in the games he's played. For example, he gave the ball away against Reading which almost led to the goal, so he got branded as shit despite setting up 3 golden opportunities from corners. As for the assists and goals ratio, how many times has Bannan put it on a plate for some of our strikers and they've missed? Also it goes deeper then that, how many of our moves starts off with Bannan? Really need a big midfield presence for Bannan to thrive. At the moment Bannan is the key to our success we improve so much when he is on the pitch, needs to start games!

Excellent post Cambridge-AVFC! Agree with all of that.

Could I make a small suggestion though? You are writing in large paragraphs which I find difficult to read on screen.

Could you put more spaces between the sentences?

Accurate set piece delivery - how many set pieces have we scored from in the last 2 seasons in the league out of interest?

N'Zogbia was taking a lot of our corners and free kicks last season, and Albrighton also takes corners.

Bannan needs to be a permanent fixture in our midfield and nobody else should be allowed to take set pieces when he's on the pitch (r u listening N'Zogbia?)

He makes crazy passes that are never going to get there and then throws his hands up and has a strop. Hardly ever see him run to get the ball back. Yesterday he could've had a shot from a decent position, but passed it to Benteke who was surrounded by half the Southampton players. His decision making is terrible.

I just can't see what he offers. The stats might look good (we won more games with him in our team) or whatever the stat was that someone posted, but when i'm at Villa Park watching the game live i just don't see what he does. Most of his passes are sideways or backwards and when he does pass forward it some crazy ball from the half way line. When he has to defend he never really puts the tackle in, he just contains and that's about it. He might be the best we have, but he should be nowhere near any Premier league side.

Edited by Daniel

I dont know how people can moan that he only has a few assists. He pretty much sets up more than 50% of our chances per game when he is playing, for him to have an assist the striker has to score, which he can have no control over.

Holman has two assists vs Liverpool for Benteke's goals. One the ball hit him after trying to win it back and another was a simple 3 yard pass to Benteke who had a shot and scored from about 20 yards.

These are games where if the player had scored Bannan would have a direct assist.

45 mins v Southampton

Jason Puncheon concedes a free kick for a foul on Enda Stevens. Centre by Barry Bannan, Christian Benteke takes a shot. Save by Artur Boruc

Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Christian Benteke by Maya Yoshida. A cross is delivered by Barry Bannan, Christian Benteke takes a shot. Artur Boruc makes a comfortable save.

Inswinging corner taken by Barry Bannan, Nathan Baker takes a shot.

90 mins v Bradford

Corner taken left-footed by Barry Bannan from the right by-line, Header from deep inside the area by Christian Benteke goes over the bar.

Shot by Charles N'Zogbia from 20 yards. Blocked by Carl McHugh. Barry Bannan takes a inswinging corner to the near post, Christian Benteke has a headed effort from close in and clears the bar.

Outswinging corner taken by Barry Bannan, Headed effort from deep inside the penalty area by Christian Benteke goes harmlessly over the crossbar.

Barry Bannan sends in a cross, Christian Benteke takes a shot. Brilliant save by Matt Duke.

Barry Bannan sends in a cross, Gabriel Agbonlahor has an effort at goal. Save made by Matt Duke. Barry Bannan takes a inswinging corner. Christian Benteke is penalised for handball and concedes a free kick. Matt Duke takes the indirect free kick

8 mins v Swansea

Outswinging corner taken left-footed by Barry Bannan, Christian Benteke takes a shot. Nathan Dyer gets a block in. Penalty awarded for a foul by Nathan Dyer on Andreas Weimann

So wank that Benteke should have easily scored from one v Bradford and had one cleared off the line v Swansea which lead to the penalty. Clark had one off the line v Ipswich IIRC and Baker hit the bar yesterday.

Lets have Nzogbia take them, the two he took yesterday were all cleared first man.

But if he didn't take the corners what does he create? If we had a game with 1-2 corners he's pretty much going to be doing **** all then? His Creativity from open play is non-existent.