Barry Bannan

villianusa

So when is he coming back to the first team?
Quite soon by the look of things
Aston Villa: Alex McLeish to assess Barry Bannan's mental state before clash with Norwich

by Mathew Kendrick

Nov 2 2011

ALEX McLeish will assess Barry Bannan’s physical and mental state before deciding whether to pick him for Villa’s clash with Norwich at Villa Park this weekend.

Bannan was allowed back at training yesterday after the club lifted the week-long suspension imposed following his arrest for alleged drink-driving on October 23.

The Scottish playmaker’s return to Bodymoor Heath coincided with former Wolves midfielder and reformed alcoholic Alex Rae’s visit to the training ground yesterday.

Rae now talks to young footballers about the dangers of alcohol and importance of professionalism and was invited along by Villa to address their academy players.

McLeish revealed Bannan was understandably not his usual bubbly self upon his return, but was welcomed back into the fold by his team-mates.

“He’s back in the fold, we’ve brought him back up and the suspension has been lifted,” said McLeish.

“Listen, how would you be if that happened to you? You can’t expect somebody to come in singing and dancing and laughing as if nothing’s happened.

“He’s feeling it a bit and he wouldn’t be human if he wasn’t. But he’s back in and the lads I’m sure will be as friendly and hospitable to Barry as they normally are.’’

The 21-year-old trained with fitness coach Adrian Lamb, but is expected to resume full training with his team-mates tomorrow to prepare for Saturday’s match.

“He came back yesterday and trained with Adrian Lamb,” said McLeish.

“We didn’t put him into our session because it was too intense for him having missed a week’s training, so he did a separate session with Lamby.

“But we’ll maybe have him back in the fold with the group on Thursday.

“We didn’t put him into our session because it was too intense for him having missed a week’s training, so he did a separate session with Lamby."

Translation: we wanted to make the little **** hurt like he's never hurt before in order to make him seriously consider doing such a stupid thing ever again, so our fitness coach tortured the crap out of him...

Agree Mantis.

Eventually, I see this as being our best option.

That midfield last season, or even at the beginning of the season, would've looked really weak but the fact is both Herd and Bannan are coming on immensely this season. Even Petrov is looking great now that he's going forward more.

Agree Mantis.

Eventually, I see this as being our best option.

That midfield last season, or even at the beginning of the season, would've looked really week but the fact is both Herd and Bannan are coming on immensely this season. Even Petrov is looking great now that he's going forward more.

Agree. Herd and Bannan set themselves apart with their ability to stick to the role which they've been assigned. Whilst Delph has potential, it's not quite so clear what he actually does.

I was just pointing out he is poor in the air and poor defensively.

Therefore IMO for him to get in the team he needs to be a regular goalscorer and offer a lot more going forward.

Average player - get him back in the reserves please.

He's an attacking midfielder, he's not supposed to be good defensively. Being good at heading the ball isn't really that necessary for his role anyway.

So tell me then, who would you play in his position?