Barry Bannan

villianusa

I only referenced Houllier because they were talking about whether MON held back his career or told him he wasn't big enough to play. The article confirms that whilst MON did play him on occasion it was Houllier who really bought him into the team and told him that height wasn't an issue.

So those who were saying MON was dismissive of him were probably right to an extent.

He was 19 in MON's last season 20 in Houllier's season and Houllier only ever played him when he had injuries, as soon as the fitness thing was solved Bannan was nowhere to be seen. If anyone deserves praise for bringing Bannan through its McLeish, he has had other more experienced options. Bannan of course has matured in those 2 years and if we're really honest wasn't at all ready under Houllier or MON. Those two years are big years in the development of players. For me it's McLeish who deserves the plaudits.

I agree Bicks. The massive strides Bannan's taken this year are evidence of that.

Bannan says Houllier, that's enough for me :D

Mcleish was playing Heskey ahead of him until the lump got injured :lol:

I'd actually like to see Heskey and Bannan in the same team. Bannan would have a great time picking out Heskey with his clever passes. Heskey in turn thrives on getting well placed balls played up for him to hold up and offload. They'd compliment each other superbly in the right system.

Bannan says Houllier, that's enough for me :D

I'd actually like to see Heskey and Bannan in the same team. Bannan would have a great time picking out Heskey with his clever passes. Heskey in turn thrives on getting well placed balls played up for him to hold up and offload. They'd compliment each other superbly in the right system.

I tend to agree they would compliment each other. But Heskey should never be in to replace Bannan. Plus Heskey getting old now and injured a lot, we need to move on...

If you actually think Heskey and Bannan are playing the same position then you have problems with tactical perception. Gabby replaced Heskey, just because one player came in when another came out, does not mean they were direct replacements for each other.

Ha typical Houllier called BB into his office and Holloway actually did one on one training sessions?? Mmmmm what has more influence on BB career a fat frenchman sat in his office watching DVD's of Asterix the Gaul or a West Country Bumkin actually out on the training pitch working with a young player??

Under McLeish BB looks a completely different player compared to the lost soul from last year called upon in desparation last year and then dropped like a stone when other players returned from injury.

Houllier told BB if your good enough your tall enough, bet he never heard that one before??

Flippin' Heck. I never thought I'd read something like this.

Another major influence on his career has been Ian Holloway, who was Bannan's manager when he was on loan at Blackpool in their famous promotion season from the Championship. So much so that when Villa played Blackpool last season, Bannan sought out Holloway afterwards to thank him for what he had done.

"Holloway has played a big part in my career," Bannan says. "He was so good on one-to-one talks. He really brought different things into my game. When we played them last season I spoke to him and thanked him. He said, 'No, it's all your hard work, you don't have to thank me'. He was brilliant."

Holloway not a complete tosser then? :shock:

But Heskey should never be in to replace Bannan.

What? The point is he shouldn't start instead of Bannan. I think you have problems with interpretation.

I don't think there's much wrong with my interpretation of your words, there may be a problem with your use of English but the implication you've made is fairly obvious. Heskey replacing Bannan would mean a like for like swap or a change of tactic, as you've not mentioned any change of tactic it is safe to assume there isn't one.

Flippin' Heck. I never thought I'd read something like this.
Another major influence on his career has been Ian Holloway, who was Bannan's manager when he was on loan at Blackpool in their famous promotion season from the Championship. So much so that when Villa played Blackpool last season, Bannan sought out Holloway afterwards to thank him for what he had done.

"Holloway has played a big part in my career," Bannan says. "He was so good on one-to-one talks. He really brought different things into my game. When we played them last season I spoke to him and thanked him. He said, 'No, it's all your hard work, you don't have to thank me'. He was brilliant."

Holloway not a complete tosser then? :shock:

A likeable, decent bloke with a low opinion of Aston Villa. i.e. a complete tosser. :)

Another thought that crossed my mind was whether Bannan would have made it with us under MON.

Bannan would never have made it with MoN here. Just not a very good judge of a players ability/potential was he. In fact, id say he was one of the worst ive seen at VP in years. All of MoNs managerial talent was solely his man management and motivational qualities. His team selections and transfer dealings were truly shocking.

So glad MoN didnt 'do a Cahill' and flog Bannan off for peanuts. Prat.

Didn’t see anything in Gabby did he? Didn’t buy Young, Milner or Downing?

He was prat about certain things, but lets not make up stuff? If iirc Bannan’s first senior appearance and goal was under MON?

Yes....MoN did give Bannan a few games here and there, but despite him doing well he then dropped him to the bench. Thats gonna do more harm than good. He did the same to Delph as well. The fact that Delphs confidence has been shot to pieces since he joined us says alot. Hes a shadow of the player he was at Leeds. Criminally underused and his game has suffered because of it.

It was only since Houllier came in and now McCleish that the kids are getting propper runs of games in the team. And they are benefitting greatly from that. Under MoN, they would have gotten a few more games and then eventually been sold off for peanuts, simply because of the fact that MoN was a **** awful judge of potential. See Gary Cahill also.

Like i said, the blokes a prat.

Btw, good article about wee Barry there. Im sure hes gonna be a big player for us.

Not suggesting MON wasn't good at developing youngsters, but I don't think Bannan would have made it under MON. Have the same doubt that Albrighton wouldn't have made it either.

However I do think MON made great players out of Gabby, Milner, Young & even help Barry progress.

Yes....MoN did give Bannan a few games here and there, but despite him doing well he then dropped him to the bench. Thats gonna do more harm than good. He did the same to Delph as well. The fact that Delphs confidence has been shot to pieces since he joined us says alot. Hes a shadow of the player he was at Leeds. Criminally underused and his game has suffered because of it.

It was only since Houllier came in and now McCleish that the kids are getting propper runs of games in the team. And they are benefitting greatly from that. Under MoN, they would have gotten a few more games and then eventually been sold off for peanuts, simply because of the fact that MoN was a **** awful judge of potential. See Gary Cahill also.

Like i said, the blokes a prat.

MON’s a prat in many ways, but frankly you have a strange way of making him out to be one. How old was Bannan when he made his first team debut; 18? And then he was ‘dropped’? He was better than say Barry and Petrov? or Milner and Young? I don’t think Bannan would have expected to have been in front of them. Was it MON’s fault that Delph got injured, which seems to have limited his first team appearances? Or maybe Delph isn’t quite as good as some would make out?

The only player I think you can genuinely say we sold off who we shouldn’t is Cahill; other youngsters like Davis, Moore & Ridgwell seemed to be have been sold and we haven’t missed them. He bought some crap youngsters, Davies for example, and others like Young were brilliant buys. Some from the youth development like Delfouenso he championed haven’t been great, some like Gabby have been great.

MON is like most managers; he does well with some players, rubbish with others. Few managers are perfect with judging players and MON is the usual mixed bag

Whether you like the guy or not MoN did give Bannan, Clark and Albrighton chances, none of us know how many games they would have got under MoN last season given the injuries we had or what would have happened when those regular first teamers came back, so it's unfair to say they wouldn't have got games under MoN.

As a few people have commented the players were 2 years younger when Mon was last in charge of the first team and they could (and in my opinion have) improved significantly during that time.

Even still we've still see inconsistency in their performances and if we were getting beat regularly many of you would be questioning their involvement over the more experienced players.

As for Cahill I'm probably one of the few who do not hold MoN responsible. I am in no doubt that MoN and many others at the club realised what a talent Cahill was going to turn into. But at the time he was rightly (imo) being kept out of the team by players who were performing well, he wasn't happy to wait for his chance and moved to the then lower placed club of Bolton in order to get his first team opportunities quicker. I'm fairly sure the majority of managers and clubs would have handled the situation in the same way.