Barry Bannan

villianusa

This is one of the reasons I am happy to see how things go. I would rather us finish 6th with a team full of 'our own' than see a Man Cittee spunkfest leading to nothing!

Bannan, Clark, Delfonso and Albrighton on Saturday was a joy for me.

entirely this.

Top post. I think Bannan is going to be something very special indeed. I have seen some things in games and I just think wow.

I would put him on a 5 year tomorrow, he will be that good.

It's funny, he is so small that his balance is so far ahead of other taller players I think he will be a diamond.

I know it's not something you can judge a player on, but did you see some of his practice shots in front of us before the game at Craven Cottage?! Firing them literally into the very top corner of the net......Guzan just stood and applauded him!

Come on Barry lad.....14/1 first goalscorer with Ladbrokes....

i feel like putting that bet on as first goalscorer at 14/1 especially with him having played on loan at blackpool last season. you know how things work in football lol. i will either put it on and he will miss a few sitters or i wont put it on and he'll score first lol. dont get much luck with first goalscorers.

Barry Bannan has seen his excellent form rewarded with a first call-up to the senior Scotland squad.

The 20-year-old has been named in Craig Levein's squad for Tuesday's friendly against the Faroe Islands at Pittodrie.

It caps a terrific week for Bannan, who started his first Premier League game at Fulham last Saturday and set up Marc Albrighton's goal with a sublime cross-field pass.

He has represented Scotland's U21 side 10 times and featured prominently in the Tartan Army's Euro 2011 qualification campaign in which they narrowly missed out on a place in the finals after a play-off defeat to Iceland.

But this call-up to the senior international side is a boyhood dream for Bannan.

"I have been aiming towards that since I was younger and to get it this early is a big achievement for me," he said.

"I am really happy to be able to represent my country at first team level because after the U21s got knocked out I thought that could be me for a while not playing for my country.

"But to get this call-up this quickly has been unbelievable."

Bannan has made massive strides for Villa this season.

He made his top-flight debut as a substitute on the opening day of the campaign against West Ham.

A few days later, he scored his first goal for the club at the Gerhard Hanappi Stadium in the Europa League qualifier against Rapid Vienna.

But the Scotsman has kicked on even further since the arrival of new manager Gerard Houllier.

The Frenchman named him in starting line-ups for the Carling Cup games against Blackburn and Burnley and introduced him from the bench in the league against Tottenham and Birmingham City.

"That is how you get there in the first place - by putting in performances for your club," added Bannan.

"I have had a good run in the team recently and long may it continue."

http://tinyurl.com/2word83

The 'who needs Barry when you've got Barry Bannan' song tried to start today, failed abit unfortunately. I happily would of joined in but no one around me did...I ain't got the balls to do it by myself.

Do you sit in the lower holte by any chance?

I group of people near to where I sit starting to sing this a couple of times, but there was maybe only 7 or 8 of them.

The 'who needs Barry when you've got Barry Bannan' song tried to start today, failed abit unfortunately. I happily would of joined in but no one around me did...I ain't got the balls to do it by myself.

Do you sit in the lower holte by any chance?

I group of people near to where I sit starting to sing this a couple of times, but there was maybe only 7 or 8 of them.

Noope, K4, row 31.

This is one of the reasons I am happy to see how things go. I would rather us finish 6th with a team full of 'our own' than see a Man Cittee spunkfest leading to nothing!

Bannan, Clark, Delfonso and Albrighton on Saturday was a joy for me.

If you're saying that 6th is a 'consolation' for bringing through the younger talent then you may be in for a bit of a shock this season. 6th is realistically the best we can hope for with our full strength team this year. Your post is a good one but it would make more sense if you were to say you'd rather see us finish 12th or 13th with the homegrown talent.. Finishing 6th with homegrown talent is rather like 'I want us to have our cake and eat it..' Apart from my pickiness though, top post.

If we're not gonna challenge the top 4 this season we may as well develop for the future and get them ready for a serious contention next season. It's painful to write off a season in terms of actual achievement, but if we can do something like that, it'll at least give us something to be pleased with this season.

Its a crap song though

Why hasnt the muppets one taken off yet ? far more fun

BARRYBANNAN dur dur dur dur

BARRY-BANNAN dur dur dur dur

BARRYBANNAN dur dur dur dur, dur du dur du dur etc etc

In which case, there's atleast a couple of groups of people singing his song throughout the stadium

A lot of VT'ers around then. :lol:

Too many empty seats around me unfortunately.

Have you tried deodorant? :winkold:

Pocket-sized Barry Bannan has revealed the inspiration behind his Aston Villa breakthrough – Lionel Messi.

Villa’s mini-midfielder is just 5ft 5in tall but reckons size isn’t everything after seeing Barcelona superstar Messi in action.

Bannan, 21, said: “I’ve always been small – tops didn’t fit me at younger ages! But it has never affected me when I have stepped out on to the pitch and I don’t see why it does now.

“Look at the best players in the world. The world champions and Euro champions are Spain. All the midfielder players are 5ft 8ins maximum.

“The best players in the world are Xavi, Iniesta, Messi. They are all small. I’ve heard a lot of people say ‘your height this, your height that’. But when you look at players like that it boosts your confidence. You think if he can do it then why can’t I?”

Bannan, who moved from Glasgow at 14, hopes that boss Gerard Houllier will give the kids a chance.

He added: “We’ve had a great youth system over the years and hopefully a few of us can kick on."

http://tinyurl.com/37dcke8

"Pocket Sized" .. word removed journo.