Barry Bannan

villianusa

Con, I am so bored of your trolling nonsense. It has been proven time and time again that all of the stats which you have ever produced are flawed.

I'm not prepared to go down that road again, but enough said that he has never consistently done anything which has ever had me, and the vast majority of Villa fans, thinking this chap is a Premier League footballer. Kicking a ball from 6 yards out into an open net does not do anything to change that opinion. By all accounts he still didn't play well yesterday.

If stats meant as much as you think they did then Bannan would be playing in one of the top teams in the world. Fact is, that they aren't and he was even Palace's last resort option having been signed on deadline day.

He won't be coming back to Villa Con. He was never good enough and never will be good enough. Get over it.

Fact is, compared to the rest of the squad, he did have a good season, because when he played generally the team did well. Don't sound surprised all over again as I've posted the stats again and again.

He was also noted in media for his astonishing crossing accuracy.

These are the stats that showed we should have kept him.

Thats not entirely true though, is it? When he was banished from the squad for one cock up too many, it actually lead to us going on the best run of the season and a dramatic upturn in fortunes.

• Like 1

If stats meant as much as you think they did then Bannan would be playing in one of the top teams in the world. Fact is, that they aren't and he was even Palace's last resort option having been signed on deadline day.

I think someone on here sussed out the stats Con used, which if applied in their strict sense would mean that Steve Sidwell was the most valuable player in the league.

He won't be returning here, he's destined for the lower leagues where he belongs.

The best thing we can hope for if Bannan does a Ramsey on the back of much higher confidence levels is Palace get relegated we offer to buy him back, and Bannan still would like to come back.

:crylaugh:

I think someone on here sussed out the stats Con used, which if applied in their strict sense would mean that Steve Sidwell was the most valuable player in the league.

He won't be returning here, he's destined for the lower leagues where he belongs.

No they didn't. They didn't use starts.

Sidwell was repeatedly used as a defensive substitution when we were already winning games. He only had to close out the game.

My stat was based on starts. Completely different and I did not say Bannan was the most valuable player in the league.

These exaggerations are straw men.

Stats mean absolutely **** all in football!

The only thing that matters is if the team scores more goals than the other team, and just because a player played in that game doesn't mean he affected it.

Fair play to Bannan, he did well to score, he did something Darren Bent has made a career out of, be in the right place at the right time, doesn't mean he's good though. I'm still going to judge him on what he was like when I used to go to games and when I've watched live games on TV, a player who had the potential to be good but squandered it by never learning when to make the right pass and not making up for it off of the ball. No amount of pointless stats can change that.

I hope he ends up at a Championship side where he can be the main player in the team, he's not good enough for the Premier League and needs to drop down a division a la Whittingham and Hogg.

If Con wasn't posting a load of nonsense about how good he is, I wouldn't be posting about how awful he is. Simples.

Only one of us can be right? Either he is "awful" or he's as good as I've said.

It's your opinion that my observations based on last season's statistics are nonsense.

Fact is, compared to the rest of the squad, he did have a good season, because when he played generally the team did well. Don't sound surprised all over again as I've posted the stats again and again.

He was also noted in media for his astonishing crossing accuracy.

These are the stats that showed we should have kept him.

What happened was, Lambert bought in Westwood over the previous summer and decided to stick with where he spent his money and sell Bannan.

The best thing we can hope for if Bannan does a Ramsey on the back of much higher confidence levels is Palace get relegated we offer to buy him back, and Bannan still would like to come back.

At first, I just thought Con was just stubborn and didn't want to go back on what he had said about Bannan. Statements like this ^ however, make it clear that Con is just spouting nonsense in the hope someone will try to disagree with him and he will presumably get some sort of small kick out of it.

congrats-on-a-job-well-done-glitter.gif

Highlights again prove Bannan to be hopeless. (Did he actually score or was it an own goal?!)

Definitely an own goal

Nah it was his goal

and he was also man of the match

• Man of the Match: Barry Bannan. At his live-wire best as Crystal Palace continually pressurised the Hull City defence and made no mistakes when presented with the match winning opportunity. Had plenty of ground to make before tapping in from close range.
Edited by PaulC

Nah it was his goal

• Man of the Match: Barry Bannan. At his live-wire best as Crystal Palace continually pressurised the Hull City defence and made no mistakes when presented with the match winning opportunity. Had plenty of ground to make before tapping in from close range.

In all honesty that's a lazy assessment, probably written by some lazy hack who didnt watch the game (a bloody awful game by all accounts)! They give him MOTM for being just as good as his team-mates for pressurizing the opposition and then making up ground to tap an easy goal. Hardly Beckenbauer territory there.... 

I reckon this thread should be locked anyway.

Nah it was his goal

In all honesty that's a lazy assessment, probably written by some lazy hack who didnt watch the game (a bloody awful game by all accounts)! They give him MOTM for being just as good as his team-mates for pressurizing the opposition and then making up ground to tap an easy goal. Hardly Beckenbauer territory there.... 

Sometimes even if you don't like a player (Not saying you personally) its bigger of you to be humble enough to give a player some credit when he does well, not to keep saying he's crap or its an own goal or whatever. Barry Bannan wasn't the best player to play for Villa but it wasn't the worst either.

Edited by PaulC

Why? It is in the 'Other Football' section and Bannan is still a footballer the last time I checked...

Ever since the heat maps and dodgy stats started getting wheeled out its become a massive trolling mission.

I'm pretty indifferent to Bannan really, I never thought he was going to make it with us (too small, too weak, never took his opportunities) and I'm not surprised he's ended up at a club like Palace. To take £1.75m off them is pretty shrewd business on our part, when he showed last season he was massively error-prone, took terrible set pieces and offered nothing going forward.

He's bound to score against us though....they always do!

Edited by R.I.C.O.

Do we really need to be so patronising to Peter Whittingham as well?

Brilliant result for Cardiff today against Man Utd. Fantastic inswinging freekick by Whittingham got a 90' minute assist. He is Premier League class and so is Bannan. Only just 29 this September and will be top class for a number of years yet.

Do we really need to be so patronising to Peter Whittingham as well?

Brilliant result for Cardiff today against Man Utd. Fantastic inswinging freekick by Whittingham got a 90' minute assist. He is Premier League class and so is Bannan. Only just 29 this September and will be top class for a number of years yet.

How is saying Whittingham needed to drop down a division patronising him? It's true isn't it?

Or is it patronising to compare him to Bannan? :P

Edit: Somehow misread patronise as ridicule  :huh:

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla

Maybe I misread but I thought someone was saying Whittingham's level was a division lower than the Premier League, when clearly it is not. 

Who knows when Whittingham became good enough for the Premier League. Last year, year before? Earlier?

Whittingham had about 50 games for Villa, similar to Bannan. Both players are creative, passing types rather than athletes. Same destiny?

There is reason to believe Bannan won't have to spend time in the Championship, other than it looks like he is good enough already for this league... that is, modern football is less physical.

Whittingham and Bannan both now benefit from the rule you can't fly in with both feet, or challenge with your studs up, without getting a straight red card. 

If this were 15 years ago I would agree that Bannan would have to down a division, but this is the now, not 10-15 years ago. Football has changed and more players similar to Bannan is the future. 

That's just another of the reasons why I've always been confident the trend with Bannan is up up up... for those of you who still question where to put your money he is still cheap to buy in at this stage.

Edited by Con