Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

My take on the Downing saga and the impending transfer request:

1. We have lost our three best players over the course of the last three seasons. We have been very "nice" to the players, setting no warnings or tough lines. Sure we kept Barry for a season, but that was only down to Liverpool's failure to caugh up a few more millions. Letting Downing go "just like that" would be detrimental to our club, players, fans and everyone who has faith in our plan.

2. Steward Downing is not that much in demand. He isn't THAT good, he hasn't been a revelation for many seasons like Young and Barry. One very good season last year, but he was not even close to the best midfielders in the country. Not in terms of displays, not in terms of goals or assists. He doesn't really have a huge force to his game, like incredible amounts of assists like Young had a few seasons ago - or total involvements in goals. 15-16 midfielders scored more than him - 5 midfielders had more assists than him, and a ton had equal or one less. He is not Ronaldo, he will not cause a riot if he HAS to stay. To me he looks like the model professional, laid-back English footballer. Ambitions sure, but he is under contract. We do not have to sell; somewhere down the line we have to make a stand.

So what I mean is that the signaling effect will be more detrimental than the mere fact of losing Downing as a player. Slippery slope and all that, we have not been a selling club before, easily because we didn't really have any good players before the latter years. We sold occasionally like Yorke, but every club does that. Selling Downing now would in fact make us a selling club, not just to make money of course (which is the basic factor for being a selling club) but because our players have absolutely no faith in our future plans.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And Downing would be on a new contract

Maybe, not 100% convinced myself, I think if someone like Liverpool comes knocking, he was always going to want to leave in reality.

Yeah well I disagree with Liverpool being all that better than Villa..If they finish this next season in the top 4 you can laugh at me.. But as things stood over the last couple of seasons, we have had as much chance as them at getting into the top 4. And I seriously think had Houllier stayed we would have over-taken them and become a team alongside Spurs looking to chase Arsenal for that final 4th spot.

Maybe Downing seen that too? And maybe like me with the new appointment he dosnt feel as optimistic anymore.

So what I mean is that the signaling effect will be more detrimental than the mere fact of losing Downing as a player. Slippery slope and all that, we have not been a selling club before, easily because we didn't really have any good players before the latter years. We sold occasionally like Yorke, but every club does that. Selling Downing now would in fact make us a selling club, not just to make money of course (which is the basic factor for being a selling club) but because our players have absolutely no faith in our future plans.

This is absolutely spot on - our stance with SD will indeed signal our intent to everyone. Unless we sell for an ridiculously large fee and by that I mean over £20 million then we had all better fasten our seat belts because I think we will be in for a very bumpy ride

And Downing would be on a new contract

Maybe, not 100% convinced myself, I think if someone like Liverpool comes knocking, he was always going to want to leave in reality.

Yeah well I disagree with Liverpool being all that better than Villa..If they finish this next season in the top 4 you can laugh at me.. But as things stood over the last couple of seasons, we have had as much chance as them at getting into the top 4. And I seriously think had Houllier stayed we would have over-taken them and become a team alongside Spurs looking to chase Arsenal for that final 4th spot.

Maybe Downing seen that too? And maybe like me with the new appointment he dosnt feel as optimistic anymore.

Downing would have been off anyway, just like Young. He made his comments before Houllier had even left the club. He'd of sign a new contract? **** laughable. I'd rather Houllier be here now, I liked him but there is no way none of this would have changed. Downing made his comments a month ago while Houllier was still in charge.

He plays for ASTON VILLA. Houllier may have been good for Downing but he certainly didn't get results that would make players think "if he left, I want to go" .....ESPECIALLY before hiring a new manager. He made comments 26th may, Houllier left June 1st.....do you not think he was going to make comments about his future, he'd do it after we had sacked a manager and then appointed a new one, rather than before any of it happened! We could have appointed Ancelotti or a real big game for all he knew. In fact, I doubt he even **** knew Houllier was going.

If I was playing for a club and I loved the manager and by the off chance (which IMO wouldnt of happened, heard he was leaving) ....then you wouldn't quickly jump in and change your mind about staying, you'd see who came in first. The fact that Downing new neither says to me this is absolute bullshit.

Or maybe you rate Downing so highly you believe he is a psychic.

Also on Liverpool, it's true they are not the force they were HOWEVER they are still a far more attractive prospect than Villa. Players love Liverpool and the history, Anfield (not the worlds best stadium by any means, but it's iconic) and just generally the club Liverpool is as big as anything else and also pays alot bigger wages.

They have signed players for bigger money and I'd be pretty surprised if they don't finish top 5 next year IMO.

Which even more justifies us playing hard ball over the transfer fee. We want to keep him but he wants to go to Liverpool allegedly. They paid £20m for the relatively unproven Henderson who has had one good season at Sunderland.

And yet Liverpool expect to pay substantially less than £20m and Downing expects us to accept it when he is an experienced international proven in the PL. Wake up and smell the coffee Stewie.

On thing RL and PF do expectionally well is drive the best price for our star players. My guess would be its well above the £20m being quoted in the media. Well if Liverpool want him that much, which I doubt, King Kenny and Comoli (or whatever his name is) had better crack open the piggy bank.

Im not so sure they want him this year.

It could be that they have just expressed an interest to stop him signing a new contract, so they can pick him up cheap next year.

Sell him. I dont want a half arsed Stewart Downing playing for us next season. If he doesnt go this summer he will go in January (which would be a nightmare) or next summer.

Sell him now and reinvest the money. FWIW I think N'Zog is the better player anyway.

Liverpool remind me of us a few years back. Spending way of over the ends on good English players and building for the future. If they don't make champions league in the next few seasons the money will dry up in my opinion. American owners are business men, they are not going to spend like crazy year after year.

Liverpool remind me of us a few years back. Spending way of over the ends on good English players and building for the future. If they don't make champions league in the next few seasons the money will dry up in my opinion. American owners are business men, they are not going to spend like crazy year after year.

This is very true, though they also have a slightly better starting point plus a considerably higher income stream

Liverpool remind me of us a few years back. Spending way of over the ends on good English players and building for the future. If they don't make champions league in the next few seasons the money will dry up in my opinion. American owners are business men, they are not going to spend like crazy year after year

Ahh the days of being media darlings...

Seems like an eternity ago!

Sell him. I dont want a half arsed Stewart Downing playing for us next season. If he doesnt go this summer he will go in January (which would be a nightmare) or next summer.

Sell him now and reinvest the money. FWIW I think N'Zog is the better player anyway.

He wont be half arsed, he will be playing for his England place for a start, plus he is still a proffessional.

A front line with Albrighton, Downing and Bent looks very exciting. All we need to do is replace Ashley Young in the middle..Maybe Delph can step in alongside Makoun?

Its the full back area that needs investment, maybe Olsson from Blackburn in a straight swap with Warnock? Or a 15m bid for Cissokho from Lyon(best mates with Makoun)? New keeper in Kusczkak would be a good choice to cut the costs allowing this bid to take place?

I just knew u were gonna quote my post mate! :lol:

I maintain that N'Zog is the better player. Not to mention he would be more commited. Downing out and N'Zogbia in would improve us. And we would have some money left over.

And no way will cissokho be coming here

Who remembers when the Holte End finally sang Stewie's name at the last game of the season against Liverpool?

(8) One Stewart Downing, There's Only One Stewart Downing (8)

This after voting him fan's Player of the Season.

Nice way to repay the fans Stewie :|

Ironic that potentially his last ever Villa game was against his potential future employers and he actually scored the winning goal...

I'm just starting to feel like i completely couldnt care less who comes and goes now. I'm getting sick of footballers and im getting sick of hearing about the champions league.

Wish they'd just make a European Super League so everyone can just **** off to that and give us football back. Where winning a trophy is more important then finishing 4th, and building a squad is more attractive then jumping ship at the first opportunity, and a bit of loyalty would be nice but think thats gone for good.

I'm just starting to feel like i completely couldnt care less who comes and goes now. I'm getting sick of footballers and im getting sick of hearing about the champions league.

Wish they'd just make a European Super League so everyone can just **** off to that and give us football back. Where winning a trophy is more important then finishing 4th, and building a squad is more attractive then jumping ship at the first opportunity, and a bit of loyalty would be nice but think thats gone for good.

Halleljah!

Totally agree

If a super league did start up all it would do is effectivly change the name; All the players would then want to play in that.

Unfortunately football has become all about the money, the words 'champions league' just make it more palatable!

Â