• England
    • USA
    • Algeria
    • Slovenia

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of stories of mutiny, player revolt & a fight between Rooney and Terry.

Lovely

Have read that myself. The rumours are that they have been getting all French on each others asses. Better than all Greek, I suppose. The rumours are widespread and strong and not just Rooney and Terry. If some of it is true it sounds like Terry may have been somewhat prescient when he talked about people being sent home.

Daily Mail are reporting that john terry is trying to lead a revolt against capello. how reliable is this paper, is it closer to the telegraph or in the same bracket as the daily star. they also report other players are angry with terry for dragging them into his attempted revolt. This is going to get worse. France mark II

Daily Mail are reporting that john terry is trying to lead a revolt against capello. how reliable is this paper, is it closer to the telegraph or in the same bracket as the daily star.

I may be across the ocean, but I believe that the Daily Mail are not generally held to be an entirely reliable source for accurate reportage of the events of the world.

Sports Illustrated, though...

Around the England camp, a mood of intrigue swirls as the players try to come to terms with the full abjectness of their performance against Algeria on Friday. Two draws in its opening two games mean England must beat Slovenia on Wednesday to be sure of avoiding the ignominy of being the first England side eliminated in the group stage of a World Cup for which it has qualified since 1958.

The repercussions and the pressure left something mutinous in the air with John Terry, speaking "on behalf of all the players" -- as he pointedly reiterated -- revealing there will be clear-the-air talks between players and management on Sunday evening. "If we feel something has to change," he said, "We owe it to the country, to ourselves and the manager to say it in the meeting. If it upsets him or any other player, then so what?" In both 1986 and 1990 England won its third group game to progress following a tactical rethink, but this is something different, a more serious and more overt attack on the coach by a player who claims to be speaking for the majority.

Numerous England players have spoken about the boredom they feel in a daily routine that gives them six or seven free hours in the afternoon, with essentially nothing to fill them beyond darts and snooker. The implication is that Capello's disciplinarian approach is beginning to grate on players exposed to it over a protracted period for the first time. The former Scotland striker Steve Archibald once commented that team spirit was an illusion glimpsed fleetingly in the moment of victory, and the sense is that managerial approaches have much the same currency; Eriksson was initially praised for his management by consensus, only for it later to be deemed he had given the players too much freedom. Opinion now seems to be turning against the iron fist.

Perhaps realising how confrontational he sounded, Terry offered token support for Capello, the coach who stripped him of the England captaincy after allegations that he had had an affair with Vanessa Peroncell, the former partner of his former teammate Wayne Bridge and the mother of the full-back's child. "He has his ways and philosophies and they worked in the [qualifying] campaign," he said. "We should not be looking for excuses or criticizing the manager. We are just staying united and trying to get the win. I'm not going to sit here and question the manager. We are all fully behind the manager." The implication, though, is that they are lined up behind him with daggers in hand.

Certainly Terry gave the impression the meeting will be stormy, drawing parallels -- albeit in apparent jest - with the situation of his Chelsea teammate Nicolas Anelka, who was expelled from the France squad after a row with coach Raymond Domenech. "I see Nico was sent home for voicing his opinion," he said, before adding, with a smile, "and maybe a few of us be sent home after this evening." Chelsea players were widely reported to have effectively enacted coups to remove both Avram Grant and Luiz Felipe Scolari as manager; sedition perhaps comes naturally to them.

There have been rumours of dissent for some time, but it only erupted on Friday, first in Joe Cole's body language as each substitute, and then in David James' sarcastic dismissal of Capello's suggestion that England were playing with fear. "I'm surprised, because I remember the pressure when I started," Capello said, claiming the atmosphere in the squad changed for the better after the 4-1 win over Croatian in Zagreb. "I remember the first game against Switzerland at Wembley, but after the performance against Croatia we started to play differently, and I hope here it will be the same here. I can change, do different things, we have time to prepare for this really important game.

"Really we have to play like we do in training: passes, passes, passes, really well, really good. But the problem is not just when we have the ball, we have to win back the ball very quickly, this is one of the big problems we have now. We have to press the opponent more to win back the ball."

There is also the fact that England, although using the 11 players who would have seemed the first choice after the qualifiers (given the injury to Rio Ferdinand), is operating in a different shape, 4-4-2 as opposed to 4-2-3-1. It is not clear whether that has come about because Wayne Rooney, having become more of an out-and-out striker with Manchester United, has found it difficult to revert to a deeper role, or whether perhaps Capello, troubled by the fact England kept only four clean sheets in 10 qualifiers, two of them against Andorra, sees 4-4-2 as a more defensively secure system.

Either way, the result was stodginess. Given the atmosphere around the Bafokeng Sports Palace, it's hard to avoid the feeling that the problems go deeper than Rooney's positioning. There has been all the talk that usually follows England disappointments of the lack of technical quality, and it is certainly true that Algeria looked more comfortable on the ball on Friday. But the likes of Frank Lampard and Rooney are technically accomplished in the Premier League; there' s nothing that can explain Lampard's inability to hit a shot in an England shirt other than a lack of confidence.

It's a point even Algeria's Hassan Yebda felt moved to make. "Everyone knows Lampard is not the same player in Chelsea and with England," he said. "I felt that in the match, I agree. Maybe it's because Gerrard and Lampard have the same style, so they can't play together, I don't know. But they play at a very different level."

How Capello must wish restoring confidence were his only concern. Before he can even begin to address that, or how tactically to get the best out of the available players, he must first deal with Terry and the challenge he has lain down. Whether he meant to or not, the Chelsea captain has questioned Capello's whole approach, and it is hard to see how the Sunday night meeting will not bloody. The question then is whether the storm leaves England's campaign in tatters, or whether the sense of crisis pulls the team together with a renewed focus on at least making it out of the group.

Teh Grauniad"]

Fabio Capello moved to reassert complete control over the England set-up last night after successfully deflecting a proposed challenge to his authority by disgruntled players at a scheduled team meeting.

The former captain John Terry suggested the time had come for the players to speak their mind after a stuttering start to the side's World Cup campaign but ended up in danger of being left isolated within the England camp after senior team-mates reacted with dismay to him going public with their desire for a clear-the-air meeting with the manager.

Terry was eventually persuaded against speaking at the meeting by a member of Capello's coaching staff and with no guarantee that other players would fall in line behind him, even though they had agreed in principle with the need to air their opinions. The manager nevertheless made some nominal concessions to appease his squad. There were suggestions last night those could include abandoning his controversial policy of informing the players of his line-up only two hours before kick-off, though that would represent a radical change of policy.

Capello also expressed a willingness to enter into more dialogue with his squad but, while player power appears to have been largely nullified, Terry's earlier comments had served to expose the tension within the England set-up. Frustration has mounted after successive draws left them needing to beat Slovenia on Wednesday to avoid elimination at the group stage of the World Cup for the first time since 1958.

The 29-year-old had faced the media yesterday "on behalf of the team" and suggested he would head a group of players in expressing their concerns to the manager in the evening's get-together at the side's hotel at Royal Bafokeng. "The players can say how they feel and, if it upsets him, then I'm on the verge of just saying: 'You know what? So what?'" said Terry. "If we can't be honest with each other, then there's no point us being here."

The centre-half made no mention of David Beckham, whose role at present is that of a liaison between players and management, but had named a group that included the current captain, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard and Wayne Rooney, who had all stayed up in the wake of Friday's dismal draw with Algeria to discuss the team's shortcomings and their frustrations with the World Cup campaign to date. The players had been keen to let Capello know their grievances but an uneasiness surfaced within the squad that Terry's outburst had gone too far.

The defender had clearly felt he had a mandate to speak for the squad at the time. There had been murmurings of discontent from some within the set-up at a perceived lack of preparatory work – most notably a lack of planning on how to break down Algeria's three-man defence – and a desire to switch to a 4-5-1 formation that would include the as yet unused substitute, Joe Cole.

There was dissatisfaction, too, in the manner in which the staff dealt with the goalkeeping situation after Rob Green's error against the USA, with matters not helped by the team being closeted away in their training camp for long periods.The build-up of tension appeared to be showing on the pitch, with Rooney reacting furiously to the chorus of boos that greeted the goalless stalemate at Green Point stadium on Friday.

Terry had hoped a meeting would have a similar effect to that in 1990 when a delegation of senior players including Bryan Robson, Gary Lineker and Peter Shilton had urged Bobby Robson to switch from 4-4-2 to 3-5-2 after the opening draw against the Republic of Ireland. "We owe it to ourselves and to everyone in the country that, if we feel there's a problem, there's no point in keeping it in," Terry had said. "If I say something tonight, and I probably will and a few others will, then I'm doing the best for England.

"With previous managers, I've stood up and others have done the same. It's not one of those things where the manager calls the shots and that's it. People have got this picture of him where you can't say stuff in meetings. We have a responsibility to ourselves, to the manager and everyone else to voice an opinion and hope he takes it on board."

Capello himself has appeared at a loss as to why a team that breezed impressively through qualification are now struggling to impose their quality at the finals proper. The England manager has already had to field questions over his future should the team fail to progress out of the group, with the Football Association moving to reaffirm its support last night in the wake of suggestions that the manager may consider resigning should Slovenia not be beaten on Wednesday.

Asked whether he felt the side's current travails made the last two years of hard work count for nothing, the Italian replied: "Yes, it does. I don't know why or how the players have arrived at this point. The training is good, so I can't understand why they don't transfer that form on to the pitch. It is simply the fear that stops the legs, that stops the mind, that stops everything. I'm not criticising them for that. I know the problem, it happens sometimes in important matches, this pressure. This is a big challenge, and a big pressure for me and the team."

Terry had rejected Capello's notion that the side was gripped by anxiety. "That's a little bit insulting, because we are not," he said. Yet he admitted they had needed to relax in the wake of Friday's draw. "I don't want to say it was me but I went to see [the general manager] Franco Baldini after the game and said: 'Look, let everyone have a beer and speak to the manager. Flippin' hell, let's just switch off.'

"We did. The manager was sitting there with a bottle of red wine and his staff. It was more relaxed from him and us. For the first time since the manager has taken over we sat there and he let us have a beer. Seven or eight players sat there talking about the game. It was good to get things off our chest and express how we felt. The discussions between the players will stay private, but it was really nice to unwind. That togetherness has been missing maybe at times.."

The suggestion of a weight of support behind Cole within the squad was fuelled by Terry's assertion that "only he and Wayne can open up defences" in the current set-up, though Capello has made it clear he will not concede ground to player power.

"It's the manager's decision," added Terry. "Listen, Joe is one of the best players in our country. He has come back from an injury and showed great form for Chelsea. It still amazes me how the club have come to the conclusion of letting Joe go. That is another story but he can surely do things whether he starts or comes on for England."

Maybe it is Terry but I feel that when they say 'an insider has stated or 'an unnamed source', they are just chatting **** , sometimes nobody has actually said anything but they don't want to name names for libellous reasons.

All the papers are talking about a player revolt today, not just the daily mail. Apparently there are two camps, Terry is the head of one, and it is unclear who is the leader of the other, but there is clear divisions in the squad. This is not what I expect from England.

This is not what I expect from England.

Lol, this world cup has been exactly what I expect from England! We're always shit at tournaments. Even when we reached the semis in 1990 we were shit for the first two games.

Overpaid, overrated, over-inflated egos, picking the glamour players rather than the best TEAM... same old story frankly.

Geez Duck, maybe you should try AFL?

England are struggling for cohesion, but that is always going to happen with all the superstars. Capello got you through, give him some credit to get the job done for you guys.

Geez Duck, maybe you should try AFL?

England are struggling for cohesion, but that is always going to happen with all the superstars. Capello got you through, give him some credit to get the job done for you guys.

But we ARE always shit at tournaments. Practically every time. It's like Groundhog day. .

I think Capello did a bloody excellent job in qualifying, FWIW. But now he's fallen into the trap that got Eriksson and McLaren in trouble - trying to squeeze the best players into the team by playing them out of position. Never has worked, never will work.

So, you play two games and you're dogshit in both, someone comes along and says "Are you shit or is this all the managers fault?" What do you say?

I think this talk of an unhappy camp is an excuse rather than a reason for our poor form.

The players have grabbed the opportunity to blame something else with both hands - in a way, I guess this is another example of the mental weakness that seems to run through the side - still, at least they'll all be able to go home believing they're world class players and it's all down to the mood in the camp, rather than having to face up to the fact that they let themselves down on the pitch.

picking the glamour players rather than the best TEAM....

Eh?

I'm afraid that's nonsense mate.

How is Heskey a "Glamour" player.

Or Lennon. Or Barry.

Fabio may not be getting the best out of the team in this tournament, but he isn't simply picking "glamour players", let's be honest.

he's playing to the structure that worked so well in qualifying, but it seems no longer to be working that well

James - Johnson,Terry,Dawson,A.Cole - Milner,Lumpard (the fat ****), Gerrard, Barry, J.Cole - Rooney............. 4-5-1

Yep, I would go with that. :thumb: