The New Condem Government

bickster

Gove: Hey

Free School Owners: Sup

Gove: I'm **** shit up in state schools for you guys. I hope I get that nice retirement you promised.

FSO: Lol

if we ever needed proof that our schools are failing , then that paragraph sums it up nicely :P

• Like 1

This whole idea of GCSEs being too easy is nonsense. And unless anything has changed in the past 7 years they do have to read novels, plays and poetry, I did.

No it isn't.  There has been a steady erosion of standards since GCSEs were introduced.  I see nothing wrong whatsoever in teaching a subject properly then testing people via an exam at the end.  It's what happens in a lot of professional exams in later life, which is what school should be preparing people for.

• Like 1

This whole idea of GCSEs being too easy is nonsense. And unless anything has changed in the past 7 years they do have to read novels, plays and poetry, I did.

No it isn't.  There has been a steady erosion of standards since GCSEs were introduced.  I see nothing wrong whatsoever in teaching a subject properly then testing people via an exam at the end.  It's what happens in a lot of professional exams in later life, which is what school should be preparing people for.

well yes and No for me

I'd rather school equipped people for the real world  and not just how to pass an exam  .. back in my IT days I worked with countless bods that had an MCSE that got them a job in IT and they didn't have a clue  , all they'd done was find crib sheets on the web and learn how to pass the exam

Edited by tonyh29

Certainly schools should prepare children for adulthood & work but it needs to be balanced out with education for educations sake.

Otherwise we'll end up with a society full of bloody accountants.

Being an old fogey, I agree. Certainly, my education was far more "academic" than anything my kids did. In English, I was surprised how little reading they were expected to do - e.g. usually only part of a novel or play.

As part of my English Lit. A-Level, we did Graham Greene's "The Power and the Glory". We had to read it at least twice - once straight through, and again chapter by chapter as we studied it. But that wasn't all. We had to "read around" it, with as many other GG novels as we could fit in (I remember reading A Burnt Out Case, The End of the Affair, The Heart of the Matter and several others).

And that was just part of the course - there were also two Shakespeare plays (Hamlet and Measure for Measure), Webster's "The White Devil", Chaucer's Canterbury Tales (only two of those, TBF) and an anthology of poetry of the 1930s (my favourite bit, along with Hamlet).

Margaret Hodge really is the worst kind of politician there is, an unabridged hypocrite.  Quite happy to play to the gallery when questioning companies like Starbucks about tax avoidance, less happy or able to answer questions about her own family's activities.

http://order-order.com/tag/hodge/

using shares to avoid tax  ... now where have we seen that before :detect:

Watch the clip of her being interviewed by Guru-Murthy.  Her lack of understaing is hilarious and all she keeps repeating regarding Stemcor is "to my knowledge", which doesn't appear to be much.  I'd love to get her in front of her own committee in Parliament and ask her why she doesn't have the first understanding about inheritance tax, and why Stemcor has subsidiaries in places like Guernsey and other low tax jurisdictions.  The hypocritical old cow.

I had to read a whole Shakespeare play, a novel and a non-Shakespeare play for my English Lit GCSE so I can't know what nonsense Gove is chatting.

And Coursework was in controlled conditions, which was practically an exam so I don't understand why putting all the pressure on 1 exam is thought of as a good idea. Some children are terrible at exams and could have their future ruined (because obviously Gove is scrapping resits)

Gove is determined to leave his mark. Life is not about passing exams, but producing deliverables constructively. Axing coursework & a modular system will not improve rigour. All it will do is produce a two-tier system, remembering facts.

Says it well for me. Is a history exam just going to be about fact rememberance? What learning is that? And at primary level, year 3's will be expected to know how to divide fractions (as an example). Mr Gove, just because you're starting harder work at a younger age doesn't mean they will be automatically good at it by the time they're older. By that logic, lets start reception children on nuclear physics. By the time they're 15, we will have solved the holy grail of nuclear fusion. Right?

Right?

Edited by StefanAVFC

I had to read a whole Shakespeare play, a novel and a non-Shakespeare play for my English Lit GCSE so I can't know what nonsense Gove is chatting.

And Coursework was in controlled conditions, which was practically an exam so I don't understand why putting all the pressure on 1 exam is thought of as a good idea. Some children are terrible at exams and could have their future ruined (because obviously Gove is scrapping resits)

I got an O Level in English Lit and didn't read any of the books fully  , just a random selection of chapters from each book the night before the exam  .. throw in a few quotes make it look like you read the book and bingo .. Job done  , even if it was only a grade C that was still a pass :)

thinking back on it I did pretty much that for all my O levels ... I've got an O level in Sociology and I walked out the class after about 2 lessons cause the teacher was preaching labour Political broadcasts non stop

so I guess I'm proof that a dumb monkey can pass exams   ... coursework at least would show a longer term understanding of the subject , or at least would have made me blag a bit harder :)

I will say that the current education system rewards sponges. Soak all the info up, squeeze it back out and you are 90% there.

I don't think it produces many great thinkers. Probably why we haven't had an original idea from a government in decades.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner
  • Like 1

How does taking away coursework and having just an exam at the end improve things? It is the more challenging part of GCSEs. Coursework is where you essentially put in to practice hat you are being taught. In my English GCSE, one of the plays we had to study was MacBeth and the coursework involved writing essays and written analysis of the play and the characters. We had to do that with other plays and novels.

Exams are the easy part of GCSEs.

I expect that in a few years after this joke is implemented we'll have people complaining that so many kids are getting good grades in their exams because the system is too easy. Only this time they'll actually have something to back those statements up with.

Well, I've quizzed the kids and they've had to read whole books and plays.

Just like Tony, I skip read sections and blagged it back in the O Level days (The Long, The Short, The Tall  / Merchant of Venice / Kes / Ozymandias), grade C, good enough for a fluffer.

One thing I'm already confused about, the current system is A*, through to G grade. This is being changed to 1 through to 8 in order to give more clarity and properly differentiate standards. Forgive me if I've got this wrong but don't both systems have 8 points of differentiation?

Â