The New Condem Government

bickster

There's also another aspect to controversial comments by some UKIP politicians which gets overlooked - not only do they hold extreme views, they're also stupid enough to put those views out onto the internet.

Well you say stupid.. but they keep winning more votes, truth is it doesn't seem to be doing them any harm.

There's also another aspect to controversial comments by some UKIP politicians which gets overlooked - not only do they hold extreme views, they're also stupid enough to put those views out onto the internet.

Well you say stupid.. but they keep winning more votes, truth is it doesn't seem to be doing them any harm.

I dunno, I think they'd do even better if they didn't keep on having people coming out with stupid comments in public. Certainly their reputation for having nutters is one of the reasons why I didn't vote for them in the European elections (I've never considered voting for them in UK elections though).

Edited by Mantis

On HIGNFY they made the correlation between UKIP being called racist and their poll rating. Not sure if they were joking as there seems to be something to that...

Its the politics of fear, it always works. Tap into people's inbuilt fears. It's easier to do that than try to explain complex issues and humane policies. 'You know who's to blame? It's them lot. Them poor people, comin' over 'ere, taking your jobs. It's them people with even less than you, trying to take what little you've got'.

It's a brilliant slight of hand magicians trick, because it takes the heat of the real people who are to blame for the problems we have. The BBC have pushed and pushed and pushed that agenda for years through their news and political output.

Edited by Kingfisher

On HIGNFY they made the correlation between UKIP being called racist and their poll rating. Not sure if they were joking as there seems to be something to that...

Its the politics of fear, it always works. Tap into people's inbuilt fears. It's easier to do that than try to explain complex issues and humane policies. 'You know who's to blame? It's them lot. Them poor people, comin' over 'ere, taking your jobs. It's them people with even less than you, trying to take what little you've got'.

It's a brilliant slight of hand magicians trick, because it takes the heat of the real people who are to blame for the problems we have. The BBC have pushed and pushed and pushed that agenda for years through their news and political output.

I don't think its anything to do with that its more of the issue of being overpopulated and stresses on the NHS, jobs and schools, houses etc... BTW I think the BBC were totally out of order in making their first question on QT "Does all the votes for UKIP show that we have an underlying racist problem in this country" something like that....

I honestly don't think the BBC are biased in favour of UKIP. It's funny because most UKIP supporters seem convinced that there's a media campaign against them, whereas others think the media are trying to promote them and portray them in a positive light. Which is it? Probably somewhere in between. The media just like to hype things that's all.

fleetstreetfox ‏@fleetstreetfox May 23

UKIP have 145 of 3,263 council seats so far counted - 4.4% of total. BNP managed 6.2% in 2009.

This kind of unreliable reporting doesn't really help matters.

BNP got 6.2% of the vote in the European election in 2009, not the council election.

If the thing above were to be accurate, UKIP is currently on 163 council seats compared to the BNP's 3 from 2009. I daresay that their percentage when the European election results are announced will be a great deal higher than 6.2%

But if that was the case then you would have to dismiss Marx's concept of a 'reserve army of labour' and his explanation as to how it is an essential part of the function capitalism.

You have to somehow explain why the law of supply and demand does not apply to the commodity of Labour, and explain why an oversupply of Labour has not contributed to falling wages, growing inequality and the necessity of the minimum wage.

Surely the very existence of the minimum wage is an indication that the Labour market has been rigged against low-skilled workers, by ensuring an oversupply, and the minimum wage is there to mitigate the market's negative effect?

But if that was the case then you would have to dismiss Marx's concept of a 'reserve army of labour' and his explanation as to how it is an essential part of the function capitalism.

You have to somehow explain why the law of supply and demand does not apply to the commodity of Labour, and explain why an oversupply of Labour has not contributed to falling wages, growing inequality and the necessity of the minimum wage.

Surely the very existence of the minimum wage is an indication that the Labour market has been rigged against low-skilled workers, by ensuring an oversupply, and the minimum wage is there to mitigate the market's negative effect?

No point boring the shit out of people by getting deep into economic theory either. That would turn people off politics even more.

Politics can't be made inaccessible to the average person to engage with, policies and viewpoints have to be 'sold'. But it surely has to be done without constantly laying blame at the doorstep of people with no presence or voice in the media to defend themselves.

Edited by Kingfisher

Right, but hyping a minor party like that is inherently favoring them by giving extra attention.

Maybe, but at the same time the more unsavoury elements of UKIP are also getting heavily publicised. I've never been a UKIP supporter but my opinion on them has got progressively worse the more coverage they've got and I doubt I'm the only one either.

Edited by Mantis

Gove. What a turd.

Gove is indeed a turd.

But don't you worry about that, look at these funny tweets and facebook comments from UKIP nobodies that think we should kill monkeys and bark at the moon.

Edited by chrisp65

Â