Summer 2010 Transfer Talk / Unfounded Speculation

bickster

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same shit, different year.

People never seem to learn and get ridiculously wound up by something that is written in the Daily Bastard.

Just like they did with Heskey,Harewood etc?

It's only when they write about real quality players they fail

Ledley, Zamora, Beckford...

watch out Man City here we come :/

Shit we've signed them? What have I missed... ;)

Heh, I know not to trust papers at all.

However, how often have we signed players that we have not been linked to?

I don't expect any of those three to join, but I'm surprised people seem to willing to discuss them as prospective realistic targets. Who we're linked to in the last couple of weeks of August will be more indicative.

People never seem to learn and get ridiculously wound up by something that is written in the Daily Bastard.

Well as we get linked to every player under the sun, they are bound to get one right...if I was a journo, I would be embarrassed about how much I get wrong.

I think the majority of people thought Heskey was going to be a good signing - that speculation lasted for weeks and weeks.

Harewood - From what I recall, there was little written speculation up to that signing and came out of nowhere.

I think its fair enough to get wound up when we officially bid for a player that you don't like, but until then just read it all in jest....because otherwise you are going to spend the whole Summer pissed off that we are signing Jermain Beckford.

Well as we get linked to every player under the sun, they are bound to get one right...if I was a journo, I would be embarrassed about how much I get wrong.

I think the majority of people thought Heskey was going to be a good signing - that speculation lasted for weeks and weeks.

Harewood - From what I recall, there was little written speculation up to that signing and came out of nowhere.

I think its fair enough to get wound up when we officially bid for a player that you don't like, but until then just read it all in jest....because otherwise you are going to spend the whole Summer pissed off that we are signing Jermain Beckford.

Harewood was on his way to Wigan until Mon made an 11th hour bid!

just a gut feeling! :lol:

I reckon we will go for Keane and also sign Kris Boyd on a free!!

Keane and Boyd up front, Keane doing all the running and chasing and feeding ball to Boyd and Boyd not doing a lot else but hopefully sticking ball in net! ie a new type partnership to mix and match with the others !!!

just a gut feeling! :lol:

I reckon we will go for Keane and also sign Kris Boyd on a free!!

Keane and Boyd up front, Keane doing all the running and chasing and feeding ball to Boyd and Boyd not doing a lot else but hopefully sticking ball in net! ie a new type partnership to mix and match with the others !!!

Potentially not a bad bit of business!

While we definitely could and should have bought Keane a lot younger than this, he is still only 30 and he does have 2 or 3 good years left in him. I'd pay no more than £5m or £6m but I think at that price he might be a very astute bit of business. He is a proven goalscorer after all.

Put it this way, if we could somehow sell Davies our 5th choice centreback and bring in Keane for a similar amount then surely that would be massive net gain for the squad. I think so anyway.

While we definitely could and should have bought Keane a lot younger than this, he is still only 30 and he does have 2 or 3 good years left in him. I'd pay no more than £5m or £6m but I think at that price he might be a very astute bit of business. He is a proven goalscorer after all.

Put it this way, if we could somehow sell Davies our 5th choice centreback and bring in Keane for a similar amount then surely that would be massive net gain for the squad. I think so anyway.

I agree with this Brian. Good goalscorer in the best league in the world. I think it would fill a gap for us. The priority as far as I'm concerned is the midfield. We need to keep the ball better and force the pace of the game a bit more. A quality ball winner is a must for me. Forwards are important sure, but I'd hope that the Fonz gets his chance next season.