Jez

well he wont have a season like last year and he did fade off in last 2 or 3 months. selling would probably be better option but unless Giroud starts like a house on fire it could be long season

@piersmorgan: If you go to Manchester City @Persie_Official - you'll be dead to me. DEAD.

A bit much isn't it.

I think of all the people in the world, all 7,000,000,000 people, Piers Morgan is the one who's opinion I care the least about. The man is an arsehole. The fact that he was still considered Arsenal's most embarrassing fan when Osama Bin Laden was still alive speaks volumes.

Bin Laden was an Arsenal fan? :shock:

@piersmorgan: If you go to Manchester City @Persie_Official - you'll be dead to me. DEAD.

A bit much isn't it.

Thats not harsh compare to his comments about Nasri

What did that dickhead say about Nasri?

With Giroud and Podolski coming in, they must have been expecting it.
I'd go further than that.

I wouldn't rule out that this was all a carefully choreographed façade. Things happen behind closed doors in football all the time. It wouldn't surprise me if he told them this ages ago but that he and they agreed that they would buy a new strikeforce and then time his public announcement so that it would have the least impact that an announcement of this nature is possible to have.

I can see Giroud being a flop in the PL

Podolski less so unless he's similar to Arshavin and only performs when he's "in the mood"

RVP will be a big loss to them especially with the competition atm for those top 4 spots

I think Arsenal will still nick top 4, at the Emirates selling important players seems to have the habit of getting more out of the other players in the squad, and it's been that way for a while now.

After Henry and Vieira left, Fabregas stepped up to the plate.

After he left, RVP took up the role of talisman with aplomb.

Wouldn't surprise me if someone like Walcott, Wilshere or Ramsey does the same next season and single-handedly fires Arsenal into the CL spots. They are imo not good enough to win the league though, and that would be a problem for whichever player overachieves next season.

The players left behind this time aren't to the level of Fabregas or RVP. Yes it has worked in the past for them but they've been going slowly down hill. Their model has failed on the pitch; if not in the bank. Top echelon players won't go there now. They'd better hope Giroud & Podolski hit the ground running if RVP leaves because the likes of Spurs & Chelsea were not far behind them last season and the loss of RVP would surely push Arsenal behind those 2 at the very least. I also expect Everton to be seriously strong from the first week next season and they're well able to mix it with the top 4 if they can turn their post-Christmas form into a year-long thing.

The question has always been how long can you keep doing that for though? Wenger does have a habit of selling players at the right time, that was certainly the case with Viera & Henry (you might argue Arsenal could have held onto Henry for one more year, but they would have got much less money for him) but Arsenal went from a team who were winning silverware regularly to a side who aren't.

I think RVP was class before Fabregas left, it was just a matter of keeping him fit. Arteta worked out better than Arsenal had dare hope and they didn't miss Nasri one bit because of how well Arteta played last year, but sooner or later their luck will run out. You cant keep selling your best players and replacing them with ones who aren't as good. Chelsea will be back with a vengeance next season and Arsenal's spot in the top four is under threat again. That was unthinkable a few years ago.

But you could argue that it's more than luck - perhaps it's Wenger's ability with developing young players along with the fact that some players (like Rooney) require themselves to be the fulcrums of their teams in order to play at their best.

But you could argue that it's more than luck - perhaps it's Wenger's ability with developing young players

It definitely is or was more than luck. No-one is doubting Wenger's ability to pluck youth and develop it. The point is that in the early days the gaping flaws in his vision were not as apparent as they are now, nor were the gaping flaws in the board's approach to expenditure. Time changes things. And in this case, the model of the past decade & a half that has got Arsenal to where they are now will have to change if they are to move forwards again. They've badly stagnated over the past few years and this is the first significant slide in the opposite direction.

As The_Rev says, each time they let someone go, they had someone to step in. They knew what they were doing. They were in control of what happened to the squad. They're not in control now. They said they would not sell both of Nasri and Fabregas. They sold both Nasri and Fabregas. They said it was vital they held on to van Persie. He now wants to leave. Even Arsenal fans can see that the cracks have appeared and it's beginning to fall apart. If they don't fix it very quickly then they'll be down with Liverpool trying to rebuild former glories.

Is that odious prick struggling for attention or something?

And BOF, I agree, it would certainly have helped Arsenal's transfer dealings to have kept the announcement about van Persie under wraps until now.

Interesting. Doesn't really make sense given their needs elsewhere. They finally find a decent keeper then replace him. Oh well, everything's going swimmingly for them at the moment so they must know what they're doing taz.gif

Okay you've convinced me. I dismissed it as nonsene when I read it in the press, but now some random guy on an internet forum has made it very clear that it's a "fact" there isn't much left to say. Given internet ITKs accuracy when it comes to more general predictions, such as transfers, there is no reason for me to doubt that they'd not know the very private details of contract offers. I bet just after your financial guys put together the package to offer Syg, they made sure a few photo copies were distributed to guys who may or may not decide to share it on internet forums. And i definitely woulnd't dispute the numbers you've out forward for our offer, as I'm sure you put your best effort in to your "guess," which is good enough for me.

Do you believe it now? Or is it coming straight from Brendan Rodgers mouth (and confirming everything I posted as to why we didn't sign Siggy above btw) still not enough proof?

http://www.liverpool-kop.com/2012/07/its-his-loss-lfcs-brendan-rodgers.html

The interview this came from will be put on YouTube soon if you want to watch it to make sure it happened and deluded LFC fans aren't inventing it.

Secondly, I am not some 'wannabee' ITK. I don't go on Twitter or any LFC forums and lawd attention. If I hear the odd bit that is of interest to another club (like when LFC where after Downing last Summer) I pass it on to their fans in good faith and will, as if it was the other way around and an opposition fan got info of interest to LFC fans I would appeciate them passing it on.

Trent one of the bosses on this site can back up the credibility of my source as I passed on everything regarding the Downing deal last summer to him which was proven.

If you go back in this thread to about the end of May there will be a post from Trent attesting to this.

You don't have to believe it as it goes against your agenda, but that still doesn't mean it isn't true, because it is.

He done the right thing. If a player you are close to and personally owes a lot to you agrees a deal with you, and then at the last minute asks for more money, why should Rodgers have give him that money? If he did that to me I'd be highly offended!