Jez

Drogba will be 34 in March! :shock:

Just read on his wiki page, which also tells of his fantastic charity work - upmost respect.

Gave up his Pepsi deal of £3million to build a hospital in Ivory Coast, among other work. Top guy.

surely most footballers have to be realistic and see that any club in their right mind (not villa then) will offer them a long term contract, its a huge gamble, they would be lucky to get 1 yr

Drogba is also (in part, though some consider it a pretty large part) considered to have stopped a conflict.

Just read his wiki page. Slightly changed my opinion of him! Also didn't realise how late he came into the game.

Yeah, I read that on his wiki. It was the Ivory Coast civil war :lol:.

I begged for a cease fire so they could play an international game in a run down area, 5 days after his plea, both parties agreed to down weapons.

From this I have looked at a few other players' good deeds.

Mentions go to (so far):

De la Cruz (37) - still playing and won a world title last year!

Messi (24) - Goodwill ambassador for UNICEF and set up the Messi Foundation which pays for the treatment of kids' growth disorders which he suffered with before he joined Barca. (they paid for treatment as part of the deal).

Drogba (33) - Goodwill ambassador for UNICEF, paid for a hostpital in Ivory Coast, various other things.

Zidane (39) - Goodwill ambassador for UNICEF since 2001, sets up and plays in various charity football matches. Toured across Canada with other professionals to promote local football players.

Figo (39) - Goodwill ambassador for UNICEF, plays in charity football matches. Is the ambassador for TB and the head of 'Inter Campus' a inter milan charity.

Carew (32) - Contributes to organizations like Soccer Against Crime, MOT and Ungdom mot Vold (Youth Against Violence)

He used to (maybe still does) donate half his wages to wherever he comes from in south america to help the local community, IIRC

He used to (maybe still does) donate half his wages to wherever he comes from in south america to help the local community, IIRC

thats just what he used to tell HMRC ;-)

Do we have any more reasonably good British Premiership players that we could flog them at an inflated price?

maybe Collins or Heskey

Sorry Zatman, you appear to have misread 'reasonably good' as 'utterly useless'.