Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

It looks like Peter Moores is on his bike with the pending appt of Strauss as managing director of the ecb. I never thought he was the right man anyway, but this is bonkers, he hasn't been given a fair chance. 

It looks like Peter Moores is on his bike with the pending appt of Strauss as managing director of the ecb. I never thought he was the right man anyway, but this is bonkers, he hasn't been given a fair chance

Come on, he has had a year in the job and we have been humiliated plenty of times along the way. I personally didn't think it could get much worse after the final game of the Giles era when we were destroyed by the Netherlands at the World Cup but it has.

This is completing discounting the fact that he was a shocking coach first time round who managed to fall out with three captains in 18 months! (Vaughan, Collingwood and KP) and alienated senior players (Strauss, Bell and a few more) as well as having a shocking record against any half decent test side.

A couple of highlights of his second term in charge:

-  Failure to win any of his 4 ODI series in charge.

- Knocked out of the World Cup by Bangladesh in the group stages.

- Losing to a average Sri Lanka side at home.

- The defeat to India at Lords, it was a real low point in English cricket.

- The continued defence of Alistair Cook's abysmal record in ODI cricket before Whittaker finally pulled the plug on his captaincy.

- Picking an unfit Prior for the first four tests of the summer as he had considerable presence in the dressing room ahead of Buttler.

- Drawing to a very poor West Indies side missing their best batsman throughout the whole series and a number of good players due to the IPL whilst we had a full team to pick from. Just shocking.

All that within a year. As a comparison, Flower in his first year in charge took over an England side that was a complete mess after Moores' first departure and what did he achieve?

An Ashes series victory, a series draw against a very good SA side away from home and winning our first and only World Cup trophy! 

Moores is a county coach, nothing more. I think the moment that really summed up the Moores' tenure was when Bangladesh knocked us out of the World Cup. They had outplayed us, shown more hunger, shown more desire and fight and completley deserve the victory.

What was Moores' reply? We will have to take a look at the data. 

Just shocking and should never have been re-appointed in the first place. Coach of his generation my arse.

• Like 3

He's  had three test series won one lost one and drew one. Yes we were crap in the world cup and he's lost every odi series but why appoint him in the first place if you are not going to give him a fair chance. 

He's  had three test series won one lost one and drew one. Yes we were crap in the world cup and he's lost every odi series but why appoint him in the first place if you are not going to give him a fair chance. 

It's not like we've faced the top test sides is it?

We lost against an average Sri Lanka side containing 2 greats at the end of their careers and not much else.

We won against India, probably the worst touring side in recent times. Infact, when they trounced us at Lords it was their first overseas test victory in 4 years.

We drew against a West Indies side, missing their most destructive batsman, an inexpieranced captain and bits and pieces players throughout their side with a few ok seam bowlers.

That for me is an appalling record.

• Like 1

I know but I think the guy needs more than a year. The people that selected him should be sacked as well then for making such a cock up,

That last line is the key.

The ECB have a similar issue to the FA. Too safe in their thinking, too old fashioned and afraid of anyone who appears different or outspoken.

Just like our football team, we have continually tried to play the same brand of cricket, while other countries have moved on, adapted and moved their games forward. Unless we get lucky with talent coming through at county level, we will be playing catch up for years in all formats.

Strauss will compound the problem imo, not become part of the solution. Another yes man.

The only hope we have for the ashes this summer is plenty of rain.

very much this and  England will probably have New Zealand 12-3 on 1st day or bowl them out for about 180 and then the ECB will forget the problems and continue with the same players

Strauss is also too close with current squad unlike say Vaughan

I know but I think the guy needs more than a year. The people that selected him should be sacked as well then for making such a cock up,

Thankfully they have also got the boot. They shot themselves in the foot in the way they sacked KP, imagine trying to explain that one in an interview with a top coach like Gary Kirsten, he'd have laughed you out of the building. It left them in a position where they had to pick an old failed coach and no-hopers as selectors in order to not rock the boat. Moores has had plenty of time and the results are shocking, but it's not just that, it's the expectation that we are going to be awful even against the minnows that is embarrassing. Cook needs to go too, I hope Strauss has the balls to make that call as well but it's unlikely. I'm actually quite refreshed by Graves and Harrison coming in and weeding out the failures straight away.

• Like 1

Strauss ...Another yes man.

I don't think he is. Yes he's a shiny faced posho, who is good at kind of working with people, but he's an absolute determined winner, IMO. I think he won't accept laxness, complacency, just doing the comfortable thing, or the easy thing in any aspect of the job.

Moores had to go, and straight away he's potted him. A yes man could have kept him on for the NZ series "to see how things go and give him a chance" but no - he (rightly) decided Moores should be toast, and immediately got rid. I expect more of the same ruthlessness, frankly - with sections and with people he doesn't think good enough.

It's the type of unsentimental, hard nosed approach that the Aussies follow, and it's spot on.

I just think he's been treated very badly. If you are going to appoint a man give him time or don't appoint him in the first place.  I don't think Strauss is a yes man but he's too close to Cook in my opinion and I would have preferred Vaughan to him. 

Oh and Moores is a good coach who did a great job with Sussex and Lancashire but because he hasn't played at the highest level it seems he hasn't got the respect of the players. 

Edited by PaulC

I just think he's been treated very badly...

The way his sacking was leaked was dreadful, but him being sacked, sorry, no. He's had 2 goes at it and shown nothing at all to say he should keep his job.
  • Like 2

one year is not long enough  and he wasn't given much longer the first time. 

we shall see if its the right decision. If we get thrashed by the Aussies this summer then maybe people will think differently about him. 

Its not quite like football where a new man can have an instant impact. You're only as good as the players you have and we don't have left arm seamers who can bowl 95mph like Aussies do. 

Edited by PaulC

One year is over 40 matches in which England lost half, and a lot of the players have regressed in that time. I couldn't see us do anything other than go from defeat to defeat in the next year under Moores and Cook.

• Like 1

Â