Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

We might win the world cup. Anyone else see the redditch villa flag?

I think you have a great chance. Especially in home conditions. Not seen the highlights yet (if I even bother watching them at all), but not surprised by Tim Southee's spell. Been keeping an eye on him, since New Zealand were last over in England, and he's proving to be a real talent.

• Like 1

Agreed re. above. One of the Sky commentators - might have been Warne- credited Shane Bond with increasing his pace since taking over as bowling coach. Warks had Shane Bond for a season I think but, sadly, he was quite injury prone. Still a damn good bowler though. Surely Moores can't survive much longer - England should go on bended knees to Jason Gillespie (IMO).  

At least they made it past the interval. There are normally a couple of World Cup games that are lost before lunch, I just wasn't expecting England to be one of those threatening to do it. Having a failed international coach in Moores and a failed international batsman in Ramprakash in charge, what do they expect? Gillespie is a good shout to take over.

I hope they're ashamed of their performance.

I stayed up and watched the 'batting' bit. I should have given it another half an hour and I'd have eventually seen something worthy of the name.

On what I did see:

Credit to Southee who bowled really well but England were woeful.

Moeen's footwork seems to go to pieces as soon as anyone drops anything short against him (though that was a very good yorker that castled him);

Ballance looked very out of sorts and could well find himself getting a lot of lbw decisions given against him when going so far back in his crease to play every ball;

Morgan is obviously shockingly out of form;

Tayor's dismissal looked like he was bowled by a (swinging) half volley (feet stuck mostly on the crease) and not the 'jaffa yorker' that the commentators kept claiming;

England can't play one day internationals (nor test matches, come to that) with three number 11s (and that's being very generous to Stuart Broad who looks scared shitless out there).

Moores is out of his depth. Why bring in Ballance at the 25th hour and drop Taylor down the order.

I saw the dismisalls of Bell, Moeen and Morgan

Bell got a good ball but he should have been able to deal with a little bit of movement]

Moeen looked good but because of his high bat lift its a problem when you get a yorker and are not prepared. He doesn't have a problem with the short ball. In fact the one he got he put away convincingly and ther other he ducked out of the way of. 

Morgan well I just don't know the value in that shot. 

I'm not sure New Zealand are that good, they are well drilled but no real stars. England were just very poor. 

but he thing is this isnt a once off at World Cup. England were dreadful in 2007 and 2011 and just like the football team they dont seem to learn anything from it and play same players over and over again. Surely they need to stop being arrogant at the ECB and get an independent guy in to oversee the mess and advise the board on where to go

I'm not sure New Zealand are that good, they are well drilled but no real stars. England were just very poor. 

Let's revisit that statement in a month or so

Please don't get me wrong I do think you are a good team and have a decent chances of winning the tournament but Southee is no Steyn or Johnson. He's a medium quick bowler who swings it a bit, something that we should be used to facing regularly over here. Right now I think we'll have problems against the Scottish seamers. 

but he thing is this isnt a once off at World Cup. England were dreadful in 2007 and 2011 and just like the football team they dont seem to learn anything from it and play same players over and over again. Surely they need to stop being arrogant at the ECB and get an independent guy in to oversee the mess and advise the board on where to go

In fairness they have brought in several new players but unfortunately the results are the same. What bugs me is this over-emphasis on the ashes, at the expense of one day cricket. In 2011 we retained the ashes in Australia and then turned up at thw world cup and nobody was bothered, not even cricket fans in this country. " I don't care we won the ashes attitude". For a country that has so much revenue coming in from sky etc, we should be doing better than this. New Zealand murder us and they don't have our resources. 

I'm not sure I agree entirely Paul C. If I could pick one overseas player for Warks this season it would be B. McCullum  - fabulous player. Danny (the Librarian) Vettori is still a World class spinner and Ross Taylor ,on his day is also excellent. As you say, they are well drilled. You wouldn't bank on us beating Scotland would you :angry:

• Like 1

How long till Moores gets sacked? He was **** useless first time round and has been bloody awful second time round. 'Coach of his generation'? **** off Downton.

i hope Scotland beat us.

I'm not sure what serious international-standard coach would be interested in a job where they'd be dictated to as to who they cannot pick. I think we are stuck with Moores for a while longer and we will have to put up with it. It's a bit like the shambles at Villa, except that England have all the money they could want and so much talent to pick from which makes it worse.

• Like 1

He isnt a great wicket taking spinner but in ODI has economy rate it usually very very good. They might not have a team full of stars but they have great spirit and good attitude with a few top batsmen to put them in the game

• Like 3

Moores is out of his depth. Why bring in Ballance at the 25th hour and drop Taylor down the order.

Bell got a good ball but he should have been able to deal with a little bit of movement]

Moeen looked good but because of his high bat lift its a problem when you get a yorker and are not prepared. He doesn't have a problem with the short ball. In fact the one he got he put away convincingly and ther other he ducked out of the way of. 

I agree with most of that, but New ealand (IMO) are prett damn good, and their Captain is brilliant as both a player and in his captaincy.

• Like 1

I agree with most of that, but New ealand (IMO) are prett damn good, and their Captain is brilliant as both a player and in his captaincy.

Yes but would you say they have better players than we do? Its a bit like Villa under Lambert. Decent squad but unable to get the best out of them. 

Â