Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

They've just wasted an opportunity to give Hales the whole series to get a score and a bit of confidence going. At least finally they've got there in the end, I just hope Cook gives up the Test captaincy too.

Exactly my sentiments on the matter, they wasted Hales at three out of position just so Cook for the hundredth time could show the selectors he is not even remotely a good one day player never mind captain.

England squad: Eoin Morgan (Middlesex), Moeen Ali (Worcestershire), James Anderson (Lancashire), Gary Ballance (Yorkshire), Ian Bell (Warwickshire), Ravi Bopara (Essex), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Jos Buttler (Lancashire), Steven Finn (Middlesex), Alex Hales (Nottinghamshire), Chris Jordan (Sussex), Joe Root (Yorkshire), James Taylor (Nottinghamshire), James Tredwell (Kent), Chris Woakes (Warwickshire).

Morgan has done well when captain and when he's on form he's a match winner. This decision should have been made before this Sri Lanka series. Now we go into the world cup blind, when we have had 4 years to prepare for it. 

Morgan has done well when captain and when he's on form he's a match winner. This decision should have been made before this Sri Lanka series. Now we go into the world cup blind, when we have had 4 years to prepare for it. 

It's remarkable how much England **** up in preperation for World Cup's. For the past two World Cup's and this one, they always make major changes just before whether it be captaincy, top order, wicket keeper anything. 

He's done well with the bat as England captain previously but his win percentage as England captain (37.5%) is lower than Cook (52%) although I accept he has only captained 8 times so far, so a small sample. 

I think the treatment of Cook has been awful in this. 

He's done well with the bat as England captain previously but his win percentage as England captain (37.5%) is lower than Cook (52%) although I accept he has only captained 8 times so far, so a small sample. 

I think the treatment of Cook has been awful in this. 

Sorry I don't understand that! The ecb have been over generous with Cook, more so than any other England captain in my memory. He survived the ashes debacle! I don't know anybody else that could survive a 5-0 drubbing. 

In my view Cook's stubborness of carrying on regardless has hurt England. 

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

It's been a bit shabby, the treatment, rather than awful.

He's had more backing than perhaps he deserved, especially in the one day stuff, but then to have it leak out via the press that he was being potted was poor.

They should have done it after the Aussie tour 10 months ago.

I don't hold Cook reponsible for carrying on - it's up to selectors to decide who's Captain.

• Like 3

I think ECB has left Cook out to dry, his form wasnt great yet they never had the courage to remove him as captain or from the team in both ODI and Test. With all the chaos and trouble in the background it was always Cook out to talk to the press not any other player, manager or official

Its a surprise he hasnt snapped by now

Its part of the captains job isn't it to handle the press interviews. I don't know about him being left out to dry, the ecb just dug themselves into a bigger and bigger hole. I'm not saying they are not blameless but neither is Cook as captains have resigned before. He was advised by many people, media, ex colleagues like Swann to resign the odi captaincy but was too stubborn to do so. To be fair to the ecb they have backed Cook more than any other previous captain. 

• Like 1

What has happened to Steve Smith? About 18 months ago he was a walking wicket and now he looks like an absolute top quality batsman and a decent captain so far

Reminds me a bit of Amla, I remember seeing him against England in his first series and thought he was a joke player brought in because of the quota, now I can barely think of a batsman I'd rather watch. Smith isn't quite so elegant but it's been a similar transformation.

• 3 weeks later...

I see (Sir) Ian Bell has broken a record by hitting 187 for England in a 50 over match. I realise that this wasn't great opposition but still a brilliant effort and this despite Nasser Hussain and that cheating Northern  monkey Atherton proclaiming that he wasn't a 50 over player and they wouldn't have in in their squads !

With that and Jonathon Trott's excellent knock ... a good week for Warks players.

• Like 3

yeah terrific for both players. Bell and Moeen look like a smart opening partnership and nice to see Taylor in there scoring runs too. 

As for Trott, really please for him, and intriguing to see how things shape up next summer. Ballance has the spot on merit so any potential England re-call would have to wait, but it'll be nice to have him as a potential option again. 

^^^^^ Agreed entirely but .... I'd rather have JT at Warks  so we can push for County Championship !

Anyone hear Ricky Ponting's comments on the 'egos' in the England team ? Very interesting.

Do you like mallards Rodders ?

Swann, Prior, Broad and Anderson as bigger egos?

Not entirely surprised really, it's fairly consistent with what's been said over the past 18 months I think. That said, really wish KP would shut up and let's move on. A return to the side is not happening. 

And mallards? Not particularly, I was just bored of having no avatar and so grabbed a random photo from a folder and added a monocle and top hat. Obviously. 

• Like 1

Swann, Prior, Broad and Anderson as bigger egos?

Not entirely surprised really, it's fairly consistent with what's been said over the past 18 months I think. That said, really wish KP would shut up and let's move on. A return to the side is not happening. 

And mallards? Not particularly, I was just bored of having no avatar and so grabbed a random photo from a folder and added a monocle and top hat. Obviously.

Classy.

yeah terrific for both players. Bell and Moeen look like a smart opening partnership and nice to see Taylor in there scoring runs too. 

As for Trott, really please for him, and intriguing to see how things shape up next summer. Ballance has the spot on merit so any potential England re-call would have to wait, but it'll be nice to have him as a potential option again. 

I've heard wispers of trying Trott as an opener. It's a job I'm sure he could do, if he's feeling up to it.

Â