Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Of course his dad's inclusion in the England tour party in the late 60s of South Africa ended up with South africa being excluded from test cricket for quite a few years...From what people tell me Damien was a terrific person and a great coach. We now have a third generation Doliveria playing for Worcester. I think he's in the 2nds at the moment....RIP

Any views on what Andrew Strauss was heard calling Kevin Pieterson? Sackable offence or not?

I personally think it's a sackable offence. Yes he is paid to have and give his opinion, but this comment was obviously personal against kp. There is no reason to bring personal vendettas to the table.

I don't think sky will actually sack Strauss though. would be interesting to hear his reasons behind the comment and what made him say it at that point..

• Like 1

Any views on what Andrew Strauss was heard calling Kevin Pieterson? Sackable offence or not?

A bit of a schoolboy error to say it in the commentary box, though, even if he thought they were off air everywhere.

Sackable offence? That's up to Sky, I suppose. Would I sack him? Not as long as he apologized for swearing on air - I'd prefer that he didn't apologize for insulting Pietersen, though, as he obviously believes he is an absolute word removed.

The Strauss / KP thing is an odd one. It was obvious they didn't get along as players, so there's no surprise about the comments. It seems to me that it's just very hard luck that his comments got broadcast, as I think we all knew there was no love lost.    

What was said?

Strauss called KP a clearing in the woods. 

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 1

England have progressivly got worse since Cook took over the captaincy from Strauss. You have to wonder how much longer the selectors will stick with him? Cook says he won't resign, so you would think the selectors would make the decision for him. England are slipping back to the bad old days again.

I've got no words for today. That wicket is an absolute road, and anyone going out to bat, should have been getting a big score. The talent is there, but they seem to be lacking the mental strength. I don't want to sound like a broken record, but at this point in time, they need the captain to be leading from the front and setting the example. He's not doing it though, and for that reason needs to be dropped. Not just for the team, but for the player. Go back to basics, regain form, and get back to being one of the best opening bats in the world, without the added pressure of the captaincy. 

A draw is still possible. Hopefully we'll start to see some more "English" wickets in the next few tests. I've seen enough from most of the young lads, to be optimistic they can make up the nucleus of a good side. A series win will do their confidence the world of good.   

I've got no words for today. That wicket is an absolute road, and anyone going out to bat, should have been getting a big score. The talent is there, but they seem to be lacking the mental strength. I don't want to sound like a broken record, but at this point in time, they need the captain to be leading from the front and setting the example. He's not doing it though, and for that reason needs to be dropped. Not just for the team, but for the player. Go back to basics, regain form, and get back to being one of the best opening bats in the world, without the added pressure of the captaincy.

I think I go back to what I said before on this, though. I don't see that as the best way to sort it out (and as you say get one of the best opening batsmen in the world back to being that) - he 'found form' early in the season playing a couple of games for his county but that didn't seem to work.

Perhaps it's one of two options: give the captaincy to someone else (maybe Jimmy as Rodders suggested) and let him have a couple of games to open the innings and see whether it just 'clicks' or he puts cricket to one side for a certain amount of time (perhaps he takes a leave of absence until the final test - depending upon the state of the series). It was interesting because Ganguly's suggestion on TMS yesterday was that he stops trying too much (so doesn't go and net for a few days, for instance).

As for the wickets that went down, Moeen's was poor but I think he can be allowed that for the promise he has shown; Prior was as far away from the ball as I was in Worcestershire; Stokes got a very good ball no matter how much of a road the track is; Bell made an error and would be the first to admit it, I guess. Also, I think India bowled much better than we did (see the 'third man' stats about bowling at the stumps). That isn't to say that our performance wasn't sub standard - it was - but it isn't quite the calamitous collapse that people were making out (though again the 'stats' suggest collapsing is something that really needs to be addressed and sorted out).

Yeah, I think the "collapsing" comes back to the mental strength. I'm not suggesting they all start playing like Boycott, but they need to lean how not to give their wicket away, and just occupy the crease, when under the cosh from the opposition bowling attack. Sometimes easier said that done, I understand.

I think India bowled much better than we did (see the 'third man' stats about bowling at the stumps). That isn't to say that our performance wasn't sub standard - it was - but it isn't quite the calamitous collapse that people were making out (though again the 'stats' suggest collapsing is something that really needs to be addressed and sorted out).

Poor coaching. Moores is not the man for the job. Bad appointment.

Sure the problem of collapses and iffy bowling started before his time, but it really needed someone with more test experience to re-set the mentality and introduce rigour to the players and the plans. He's just not cut out for international coaching IMO. Yet another gobbledegook merchant.

Apart from Bell and Moeen, I don't think they can be accused of giving their wicket away and even then it wasn't as though they were out driving at wide ones - Bell was trying to withdraw (that's always a tricky maneouvre ;) ).

I think it's quite interesting that India lost 4 wickets in the space of virtually no time in the middle of their innings and England also had a similar problem (albeit a couple more wickets over a longer period).

Â