Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

The Trott thing is interesting, and draws obvious comparisons to Marcus Trescothick. Having read Trescothick's book, if Trott is suffering with mental health problems, then it's for the best he's left the tour. Although I question what he was doing there in the first place? Hope he gets well again, and comes back the same player he was 12 months or so ago.

• Like 2

To be fair to Warner, he'd have had no idea as to the state of Trott's mental health. It was a silly comment, and I'm sure he feels bad about it now, given what's come to light.

Getting back to how we'll line up without him, I think we have a few options. Bell moving to 3 seems like the most obvious move. Then it's between Ballance & Bairstow for 6, with Root moving to 5. Although I think I'd like to see Stokes given a go, as he'd beef up the bowling too.

Agree with Paul, asking someone like Ballance to come in and replace Trott (when healthy and in form) is a massive ask. I'd love to see him come in and score big runs straight away, but in the pressure environment of the Ashes, it seems unlikely.

Well on the basis that whoever bats at 3 will more than likely be facing a very new ball, I think I would prefer to see Root bat at 3. He has shown a willingness to open so coming in (no doubt) after less than 2 overs won't be a problem for him. Bell has struggled at 3 before and we should think hard before unsettling our classiest batsman.

Well on the basis that whoever bats at 3 will more than likely be facing a very new ball, I think I would prefer to see Root bat at 3. He has shown a willingness to open so coming in (no doubt) after less than 2 overs won't be a problem for him. Bell has struggled at 3 before and we should think hard before unsettling our classiest batsman.

I'm torn on this, the obvious thing to do is Bell at 3, Root at 5. But as WATF correctly points out, Bell was the only (consistent) batsman in the summer and unsettling what is clearly working for him could be a mistake.

Also agree with paul above, ballance is a no no imo, has to be Bairstow. Just not sure about the order.

I was interested to read an interview with Stuart Broad the other day where he days that alk the England played had undergone stringent psychological testing to ensure they were mentally fit.

Seems to me this is something that should have picked up Trott's issues. It's quite obvious that out the middle of an Ashes Test is not the best place to be if you are not 100% emotionally or mentally.

Still, good luck to the bloke. Hope he has a swift and full recovery.

To be fair to Warner, he'd have had no idea as to the state of Trott's mental health. It was a silly comment, and I'm sure he feels bad about it now, given what's come to light.

You didn't see the interview that was played on SSN yesterday then. The Aussie press asked him about it and although he admitted he may have overstepped the mark a bit, he didn't apologise and reiterated that Trott had played shit.

He comes across as a right bellend. I'm down for a bit of friendly rivalry and ribbing, but the Aussie team really do seem to be pretty classless. Like Clarke and his 'broken f******* arm' comment to Cook. Clearing in the woods.

Edited by Ginko

You didn't see the interview that was played on SSN yesterday then. The Aussie press asked him about it and although he admitted he may have overstepped the mark a bit, he didn't apologise and reiterated that Trott had played shit.

He comes across as a right bellend. I'm down for a bit of friendly rivalry and ribbing, but the Aussie team really do seem to be pretty classless. Like Clarke and his 'broken f******* arm' comment to Cook. Clearing in the woods.

Australian sporting team in classless shocker  :D

Warner is a dick, of course, but I don't think he's a particularly malicious one. As for Clarke, he was just unlucky to be picked up on the mic - by all accounts Anderson gives as good as he gets in this department.

I made that statement before Warner had been asked his views. I figured he may have a shred of decency, but it appears not. I've not seen the footage, but if what you say is true, then that's pretty crass.

Sledging is part of the game, but I think the issue is keeping it on the pitch. In the heat of the game, it's all well and good, but when you start calling people out in the press, it just reflects very badly on you.

Â