Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

My own views on the networks:

Orange: The worst of the lot, decent GSM coverage but very poor 3G and terrible (apparently) customer service.

Vodafone: Mainly business network but not very good 3G coverage.

O2: Utterly awful data coverage. My mate didn't realise the G on his iPhone meant GPRS, he thought it meant 3G because he'd never seen 3G on O2.

T-Mobile: Superb. Get very strong HSPDA almost everywhere I go. No data cap (fair use only) and great online portal. Now they're merged with Orange you can use Orange networks too.

I was with Orange for years and went onto T-Mobile 2 years ago. I've been nothing but impressed. Many times I've used my phone as a wifi hotspot with 4 people connecting over my 3G heavily using data and it's been brilliant. Our work has changed from Vodafone to T-Mobile for dongles because of the difference in 3G performance. I always found it quite funny that whenever I'm sat on the train outside the O2 HQ in Slough, I have to let O2 users tether through my phone over T-Mobile 3G to get data.

I'd agree on this. I'm with T-Mobile P&G, get great data coverage and I pay £5 for a month of unlimited fair use web. Or I can pay £20 for 6 months.

The sharing Orange network thing is only for calls atm, which can be problematic if you're browsing and your phone switches - you lose data connectivity. This will change at some point.

I'd say the consensus was to wait.

Oddly my opinion had changed on the galaxy tab. I use my phone more for mobile internet than an actual phone so see the point of a tablet that size. Still think price is too high though and no amoled screen.

Defo wait until the new year. Get whatever HTC release would be my advice.

I'd agree on this. I'm with T-Mobile P&G, get great data coverage and I pay £5 for a month of unlimited fair use web. Or I can pay £20 for 6 months.

The sharing Orange network thing is only for calls atm, which can be problematic if you're browsing and your phone switches - you lose data connectivity. This will change at some point.

You do get Orange data too. When you sign up on the T-Mobile site they tell you to enable data roaming in your phone's APN settings. I've done that and get Orange data but it's pants compared to T-Mobile.

You plain gotta love HTC. Desire, Desire HD and Desire Z. Three top notch phones. Do they ever make a bad one?

The HTC Magic (Vodafone Exclusive) I had was utter shite

the HTC touch HD was also completely shit.

To be fair, the hardware on the Touch HD was fantastic (my dad had one) it was let down by being on Windows Mobile 6.

Ok, have HTC released a phone this year that isn't excellent? No I don't think they have. They are really in their stride. All we need now is for samsung to sell their super amoled screens to others instead of keeping them all for themselves.

Super Amoled is like quilted toilet paper, once you try it you can't go back.

Deed done then.

I had a choice of the Galaxy S and Desire. I wanted the Desire but they hadnt got one unlocked or on O2 that was decent but they did have a brand new Galaxy S on O2 which they showed me............Sorry Conor but it just feels to light as nice as it looks. The guys were also strongly urging me not to have the Galaxy but to have Desire instead as it is a much better phone. Went for a Desire locked to 3 which was the cheapest they had and will be unlocked tomorrow.

Still in the box at the moment but hopefully will have a play tonight.

Nobody who buys a Desire has ever been disappointed. Going from an iphone 4, I'm glad you got the Desire. The galaxy s is tens and sixes, the desire is all eights.

I do understand that people who have owned a smartphone already will notice the lightness if the galaxy s and can say it is too light. I still hope samsung stick to the super light phone for the galaxy s2.

I think I'm pretty much settled on getting the Desire HD now. With some sensible settings/apps management plus the fact I won't be using it while working, the battery life shouldn't cause issues.

T-Mobile seem the best bet - £90 upfront for the phone plus £30 a month for 600 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited internet and then a free month on top of that. Seems like a good deal to me. I spoke to an advisor earlier and they have them in stock online but I had no luck in their stores so I'm probably going to be buying it blind without having a play with one first. Having said that, a mate of mine has a regular Desire and its a very impressive bit of kit so I'm sure I'll be happy with the HD.

Nobody who buys a Desire has ever been disappointed. Going from an iphone 4, I'm glad you got the Desire. The galaxy s is tens and sixes, the desire is all eights.

I do understand that people who have owned a smartphone already will notice the lightness if the galaxy s and can say it is too light. I still hope samsung stick to the super light phone for the galaxy s2.

I don't see why the lightness is an issue to people? I love the fact that its so light. The iphone seems like carrying a brick around compared to it.

A couple of the people at work are quite disappointed with their Desires. One is due to some network bug with Vodafone that HTC can't fix and it's been back for numerous repairs and the other is just not impressed with Android and has gone back to an iPhone 3G due to the simplicity.

Takes all sorts I suppose ;)

But the 2 others around me who have Desires absolutely love them.

I don't see why the lightness is an issue to people? I love the fact that its so light. The iphone seems like carrying a brick around compared to it.

Galaxy S - 119 grams

Desire - 135 grams

iPhone 3gs - 135 grams

iPhone 4 - 137 grams

Desire HD - 164 grams

The difference in weight between a Galaxy S and an iPhone is hardly noticeable, no?

Galaxy S - 119 grams

Desire - 135 grams

iPhone 3gs - 135 grams

iPhone 4 - 137 grams

Desire HD - 164 grams

The difference in weight between a Galaxy S and an iPhone is hardly noticeable, no?

You'd think that by just looking at the numbers, but it seems so light in my hand it's one of the first things you notice when you pick the phone up. I had an X10 as my first smartphone and it was big and heavy, then when i got the Galaxy S it felt so light. I love it for that and do find it rather baffling and hart to understand why people actually criticise it for that.

Â