Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Anyone got a decent alternative to Airdroid for transferring files wirelessly from computer to phone, its now telling me that it wont transfer files over 10mb unless I subscribe whihc it never used to :/ maybe my trial period finished or something?

From the thread above:

----------------------------------------------

NEWFlash player android 4.4

>Dolphin Browser| Download PlayStore

>Dolphin Jetpack| Download PlayStore

>Flash Player amended| Dowload (remove any previous installations of Flash)

>All enabled and Flash installed in Dolphin (Click Menu> Settings> Web Content> Flash Player) and it should work.

>Credits to Surviveland for apk 4.4

Edited by Tegis
  • Like 1

Anyone got a decent alternative to Airdroid for transferring files wirelessly from computer to phone, its now telling me that it wont transfer files over 10mb unless I subscribe whihc it never used to :/ maybe my trial period finished or something?

I use es file Explorer and is brilliant. It can also connect to cloud storage, has a built in media player. I love it.

• Like 2

Anyone got a decent alternative to Airdroid for transferring files wirelessly from computer to phone, its now telling me that it wont transfer files over 10mb unless I subscribe whihc it never used to :/ maybe my trial period finished or something?

I use es file Explorer and is brilliant. It can also connect to cloud storage, has a built in media player. I love it.

Cheers, will give it a go tomorrow :)

I don't follow this thread religiously so I may have missed it, but we might be due another chat on 'must have' apps?  Anthony's E3 file manager has made me wonder what the hell else I'm missing.  Stuff that has come out since the last chat we had ages back.

My recommendation is an obvious one, but I've only just downloaded it.

Google translate.

It's incredible. You can take a photo of something in a different language and it tells you what it says. And does the whole voice thing, so I can say what I want in english and it'll spit it out in whatever language you want.

Plus you can download languages onto your phone to use offline.

Impressive, especially for a free app

The footy scores app is ace; not massively sexy, but it gives you live scores from pretty much every game on the planet. You can filter out stuff you don't wan though...

Other stuff that I use all the time:

London centric stuff: 

Journey pro for Tube/train maps/times/status/journey planning

London Bus Checker - same but for buses

Oyster Balance app - even tells you when you haven't tapped out properly

Other bits and bobs:

Shush - When you put your phone on silent turns your ringer back on after a set period of time

Swiftkey - Ace keyboard that speeds up your typing. Also does Swype style.

Battery Guru - only if you have a snapdragon processor in your phone

MX Video Player - plays anything & combines well with ES File Explorer streaming video over the network

Wifi Analyser - troubleshoot wifi issues

Fing Network Tool - bloody handy if you have to deal with networks - shows connected clients & can ping etc

Plus pretty much all the Google apps.

I'd disagree with Swiftkey, at least if anyone has a Galaxy S3.

Great keyboard, but slows down your phone to a crawl at certain times. Not worth it. The stock google keyboard from the playstore is better, imo.

Great keyboard, but slows down your phone to a crawl at certain times. Not worth it. The stock google keyboard from the playstore is better, imo.

Have you tried it since a factory reset after 4.3?

The wife's S3 is now very quick with everything including swiftkey after doing that.

As someone with 250Mb per month data allowance*, 3G Watchdog is essential for making sure I don't go over my limit.

For soccer scores I use livescore

For American Sport (read - NFL, but it does everything, incl European soccer) I think Yahoo! Sports (formerly 'Sportacular') is superb.

This FIFA app is fairly new and looks to be impressively comprehensive too.

ClockSync keeps the pedant in me happy with accurate time.

DoubleTwist is my music player of choice.

Essential fantasy football manager for the Premier League game.

Fast notepad for jotting down any old shit. Stops you creating loads of 'saved as draft' text messages.

Hootsuite is one of the (probably many) twitter alternatives, which makes it easier to view your lists and also incorporates your facebook timeline too.

SkyScanner is a great way to search for cheap flights.

For anyone into planes/flights this is the free verion of Flightradar24 which only gives a 2d map with little graphics on it. But I've seen the paid version in action and it's amazing. You point your phone at a plane in the sky like you're looking at it now through the camera and, using GPS, the app knows what the plane is, where it's coming from and where it's going and puts a pop-up box beside the plane in the screen with all relevant info about it.

* Work phone. Doesn't need any more than that tbh.

• Like 1

Been planning on it for a while.

Mom got herself a Nexus 4 at the end of last year and I love it. So can't wait to get my hand on a N5

My nexus 4 is a million times better than the sgs3 it relaxed.

(Just wish the battery life was a bit better)

Mom got herself a Nexus 4 at the end of last year and I love it. So can't wait to get my hand on a N5

My nexus 4 is a million times better than the sgs3 it relaxed.

Try an app called Battery Guru.

Agree, swiftkey gave me so much trouble. The Google keyboard is miles ahead.

My nexus 4 is a million times better than the sgs3 it replaced

Try an app called Battery Guru.

Cheers, just installed. Looks like a decent app. First 72 hours it monitors my usage of the handset before rolling out battery saving changes... I'll report back later!

Â