Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

This is what worries me about when the nexus 5 comes out.

It's also why phones are selling for more on ebay than they cost new direct from Google.

Yeah I did notice that.

I'm ready for a change of phone now, would like the s4 but don't think its enough of an upgrade from the s3 to justify the price.

Im pinning my hopes on the nexus 5.

I'm not sure I'd be interested in a slide out keyboard anymore. They're not big enough to type on properly, and touchscreen Swype-like keyboards have improved enough that I no longer miss having a physical keyboard for short amounts of typing, and for anything more, I'd use a bigger bluetooth keyboard. I don't think there's any scenario in which I'd want a Qwerty keyboard of that size.

LTE = Long Term Evolution aka "4G"... should be anywhere from 5 to 20 times faster than 3G.

I have AT&T Faux-G (HSPA+ rated at 21 Mbps, aka 3.9G) and I've seen 13 Mbps.

6q0e.png

Just reading about  4G on the Beeb website so decided to do a Speed test on my non-LTE SGS3. 

H+ connection on O2 in Kent. 

Ping 80ms

Download 9133kbps

Upload 694kbps

Can't see how 4G would affect me in any way shape or form tbh. 

It's also why phones are selling for more on ebay than they cost new direct from Google.

or they were listed before the price reduction from Google.

Who is going to buy a used N4 from ebay for more than it costs to buy new direct from the Play store?

Who is going to buy a used N4 from ebay for more than it costs to buy new direct from the Play store?

Ignorance is a renewable resource.  It's retail 101. 

People on eBay.

There's new listing with bids more than you buy them new from Google.

The codename for the new Android release is 'KitKat'.

Interesting advertising choice. The anti-Nestle brigade are of course out in force (on the internet). The whole 'Don't be evil' thing is very much in the past, I guess.

Edited by Davkaus

People who live in countries where the Nexus isn't sold. Like Ireland  :rolleyes:

So I am looking at how to stream from my phone and nexus 10 to my TV, I have seen the chromecast, but are there any alternatives? Has anyone else tried doing it? If so what have you found to be the best solution?

Nexus 4 has a miracast chip in it. It can stream to any miracast receiver. I have one, but not to hand. It works well. What do you want to know?

So I am looking at how to stream from my phone and nexus 10 to my TV, I have seen the chromecast, but are there any alternatives? Has anyone else tried doing it? If so what have you found to be the best solution?

Nexus 4 has a miracast chip in it. It can stream to any miracast receiver. I have one, but not to hand. It works well. What do you want to know?

Just what other peoples experiences and preferences were to help me look into it. I have only just noticed that the chromecast is not even out in the UK yet however :)

Is the Miracast easy to use? plug and play type thing?

Yes really simple. The quality is limited by how good your wifi is and therefore how far from the router you are. The picture and sound quality aren't as good as when connected locally (as you'd expect).

Had a play with the new Nexus 7 today.  It's a lot nicer than the old one isn't it?  And I really like the old one so consider that high praise indeed.  Still not sure whether to buy one though, the wife has a 2012 Nexus 7 so I don't feel any great need to get one of my own. 

But the new one is very shiny...

Â