Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Google need to know when they got something wrong. On screen buttons on phones are a terrible idea.

But they didn't get it wrong. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it wrong.

It's not a particularly strong preference, but I prefer on-screen buttons and I use both the N4 and S3 almost every day.

• Like 1

Nothing Luddite about it. Onscreen keyboards do not mix with ssh.

Were I presented with a Galaxy Note 2-sized slider, I would jump that faster than Rob would jump the cast of "Backdoor Beauties 27".

• Like 1

Nothing Luddite about it. Onscreen keyboards do not mix with ssh.

Were I presented with a Galaxy Note 2-sized slider, I would jump that faster than Rob would jump the cast of "Backdoor Beauties 27".

About the best compromise is a Nexus 7/10 with VX Connectbot and Hacker's Keyboard with cursors turned on.

Google need to know when they got something wrong. On screen buttons on phones are a terrible idea.

But they didn't get it wrong. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it wrong.

It's not a particularly strong preference, but I prefer on-screen buttons and I use both the N4 and S3 almost every day.

Well no, the onscreen buttons are badly places below the keyboard, so you hit them by accident when typing. You have to hit over the home key to hit the space bar. 

I understand the idea behind it for tablets, that the home key can move in landscape. I get it. But as for phones it is a bad decision by google and persevering with it is a bad idea. Nobody gets everything right, to think you do is wrong. 

It's good that Samsung and HTC have as yet not gone the onscreen button route. 

I tell you what I don't like, the S3's soft buttons. I'd happily move them to on screen, although I think I'm with conor on this one and would prefer physical ones.

Can't say I'm overly bothered though, all I know is the soft ones suck

Edited by Stevo985

About the best compromise is a Nexus 7/10 with VX Connectbot and Hacker's Keyboard with cursors turned on.

That still uses up screen real estate that could be used for the console. A professional grade device needs a physical keyboard.

Well no, the onscreen buttons are badly places below the keyboard, so you hit them by accident when typing. You have to hit over the home key to hit the space bar. 

Please don't tell me what I do. What you describe has never happened to me, possibly because I only use the space key very rarely. The stock keyboard swiping inserts pretty much all the spaces I need, but on the rare occasions I type one, I have 100% successfully typed a space, not hit some other part of the screen.

I tell you what I don't like, the S3's soft buttons. I'd happily move them to on screen, although I think I'm with donor on this one and would prefer physical ones.

I ain't donating anything  :ph34r:

Please don't tell me what I do. What you describe has never happened to me, possibly because I only use the space key very rarely. The stock keyboard swiping inserts pretty much all the spaces I need, but on the rare occasions I type one, I have 100% successfully typed a space, not hit some other part of the screen.

You are 1 person. Google designed the OS for the masses and this is a very very common problem and annoyance with the onscreen buttons. Whether you hit them by accident or not. 

You are 1 person. Google designed the OS for the masses and this is a very very common problem and annoyance with the onscreen buttons. Whether you hit them by accident or not. 

100% honest I've never done it either. I've hit the stupid voice typing button on numerous occasions and raged until I could be bothered to see if I could disable it. But I've never, ever hit the the on-screen buttons by accident.

I tell you what I don't like, the S3's soft buttons. I'd happily move them to on screen, although I think I'm with donor on this one and would prefer physical ones.

I ain't donating anything  :ph34r:

Haha my phone corrected it. On topic: Bloody stock android keyboard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I'm kidding, the android keyboard is awesome. Wipes the floor with the shitty samsung one. And swiftkey (aka the make your phone go mega slow keyboard)

Firstly the multitasking button is the main culprit and home button on Nexus 4 is what we're talking about. Has Meath_Villan and Anthony got Nexus 4's?

Secondly TWO podcasts I listen to have mentioned it as an annoyance. So despite your amazing sample size here Limpid (you don't even type you swipe) it's not indicative of the actual population of Android users.

So just imagine the number of non Android enthusiasts who are not using their smartphones as much as we do who will never use a pointless button like the multitasking button yet hit it by accident.

The argument for unused bezel and taking up of screen is still there along with poor button choices (multitasking instead of menu) and accidental button presses.

Onscreen buttons are a bad design choice.

Â