Is there intelligent life out there ?

tonyh29

Is there other intelligent life out there ?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Is there other intelligent life out there ?

• Yes - All Hail our new insect overlords
    • No - We are all alone

You obviously weren't paying enough attention if you still believe in fairy stories.

:|

So you were told in School that God doesnt exist were you? Must have missed that.

I'm pretty sure I was told to make up my own mind.

No, I wasn't.

However in making up my own mind I realised like most right thinking people that hey, this stuff is evidenced... and this stuff isn't.

I honestly believe anyone who couldn't make that same judgement, is either stupid, gullible, or wasn't paying enough attention.

Sorry if that's harsh or offensive.

It's harsh, not offensive. What do I care if you think im stupid gullible and lazy, I know I'm not.

When I look at the Wonders of the Universe and on planet Earth - I see the hand of an intelligent designer and an architect.

Like on those amazing photographs released from the Hubble telescope by NASA this week.

I just cannot reconcile with it all happening by some chance of nature.

If that makes me uneducated and a beleiver in fairy stories in some people's minds...then so be it!

I'd disagree with Gullible. Reading something out of a book and therefore real without ever hearing, seeing what it does, noone has ever seen what he does yet you believe it. What's the difference between people reading comics and thinking action heroes are real?

If the person reading the comic had millions of people worldwide telling him it was real. World leaders who believed it was real. Buildings around the world dedicated to action heroes that all said it was real. then there'd be no difference.

That there are loads of people who's occupation is to spread the idea that religion is real makes gullible pretty valid.

It's deeply sad that people are happy to accept ignorance in something so important and vital to the nature of our world.

You don't see an intelligent designer or an architect, you see the wonders of physics and chemistry and time. It doesn't stop being any less wonderous. Indeed you might even say it's more wonderous and enticing and interesting and fulfilling.

This all ties back into the idea of more life in the universe... is it not amazing that we know that there is so much out there that we don't know, there has to be other life forms somewhere?

That's simply awe-inspiring.

You don't see an intelligent designer or an architect, you see the wonders of physics and chemistry and time. It doesn't stop being any less wonderous. Indeed you might even say it's more wonderous and enticing and interesting and fulfilling.

What is wrong with seeing it all and thinking it's been designed though?

It's the major thing thats kept me in my faith all these years. There are two pissible options, either it was all done by chance, or it wasnt. I cant get my head around how it could all just fall into place, therefore I take the other option. That combined with personal experiences ofcourse.

When I look at the Wonders of the Universe and on planet Earth - I see the hand of an intelligent designer and an architect.

Like on those amazing photographs released from the Hubble telescope by NASA this week.

If that makes me uneducated and a beleiver in fairy stories in some people's minds...then so be it!

I don't get this argument at all.

Things are FAR more fascinating when you don't believe they are created. The universe is so much more awe inspiring when you see it through the eyes of science and reject the notion of a creator.

You're cheating yourself of the true beauty by just attributing everything to God.

As Douglas Adams said, Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?

As Douglas Adams said, Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?

But to be a "garden" someone had to take the time to plant that garden...it had a maker, a designer. It didn't JUST happen!

But to be a "garden" someone had to take the time to plant that garden...it had a maker, a designer. It didn't JUST happen!

You haven't seen my garden.

What is wrong with seeing it all and thinking it's been designed though?

It's the major thing thats kept me in my faith all these years. There are two pissible options, either it was all done by chance, or it wasnt. I cant get my head around how it could all just fall into place, therefore I take the other option. That combined with personal experiences ofcourse.

Everything is wrong about it, from the basis of the idea (it wasn't created, I'm not sorry to tell you), to the lack of understanding it shows, to the sheer ignorance of it.

Aa theDon has said above, is it not enough to see the beauty of the world without thinking there is something higher behind it? We live in a complex machine effectively, interacting and moving and creating and changing. It doesn't need an engineer.

It absolutely astounds me people don't accept this and don't get the appreciate the wonders of nature properly.

It absolutely astounds me people don't accept this and don't get the appreciate the wonders of nature properly.

Indeed.

I blew my nose the other day, opened out the tissue and it looked just like a butterfly. Amazingly nice of God to draw a butterfly in my snot.

That isn't the point. You could replace 'garden' with anything. Field, ocean, cliff-face... whatever. It happened, on it's own. the only designers involved were chemistry, physics, and time.

It does I'm afraid. It really is no different from the ancient Greeks thinking the sun was being driven across the sky by a chariot. It's just trying to fill the void in understanding with an easy and non-proveable solution. If that works for you, then great, but I'm glad that as we develop, there are more and more scientists trying to work on understanding, and less religious nutjobs trying desperately to cling to primitive superstitious drivel.

Assuming we do eventually discover new lifeforms, what might the impact of that be?

If it was far enough off, very primitive, and not contactable I suppose it'd amount to 'ooh thats interesting...' (being flippant of course). But if we could contact it and it had a modicum of intelligence, can you imagine the immense change that could lead to in the scale of things?

If you're offended you should probably stop having such stupid views.

Science allows you to live your life. If you wish to chuck away parts of it hook line and sinker I'd almost advocate, like a friend of mine does, you get everything it's given taken away from you. I believe that'd put you somewhere back in the stone age, animal hides and sticks ahoy. The big beard in the sky might gift you fire at some point.

Â