Is there intelligent life out there ?

tonyh29

Is there other intelligent life out there ?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Is there other intelligent life out there ?

• Yes - All Hail our new insect overlords
    • No - We are all alone

The argument from design is pointless. It is complete hypocrisy to say that everything must have a designer......EXCEPT the designer. If "God" was always here, then why can't the universe have always been around ? Occams razor. People believe in God not because of any compelling evidence but purely from a deep rooted NEED to believe . People are scared in general and the idea that they have some magic big daddy looking after them, comforts them.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm feeling. Dude I feel like you're in my head!

The argument from design is pointless. It is complete hypocrisy to say that everything must have a designer......EXCEPT the designer. If "God" was always here, then why can't the universe have always been around ? Occams razor. People believe in God not because of any compelling evidence but purely from a deep rooted NEED to believe . People are scared in general and the idea that they have some magic big daddy looking after them, comforts them.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm feeling. Dude I feel like you're in my head!

Well it is spacious... :)

It simply means the absence of belief. Lots of people are atheistic agnostics, it means they don't believe but don't claim to know if a higher being exists or not.

TheDon was simply saying that lots of atheists are also agnostic.

I'm not one of them, I'll happily say theres no God. But then I'm an antitheist.

It simply means the absence of belief. Lots of people are atheistic agnostics, it means they don't believe but don't claim to know if a higher being exists or not.

I'm not one of them, I'll happily say theres no God. But then I'm an antitheist.

Well it depends what soruce you get the meaning of atheism from does it not? Ive been doing a bit of looking, and the term "belief that there is no god" keeps popping up. It's a bit of silly nit picking imo.

Well it depends what soruce you get the meaning of atheism from does it not? Ive been doing a bit of looking, and the term "belief that there is no god" keeps popping up. It's a bit of silly nit picking imo.

No it isn't silly nit-picking, it fundamentally changes the nature of what it describes.

Anyone that says it's the belief that there is no god is wrong, plain and simple. It's an absence of belief in a God. Theres an enormous difference.

It's not nit picky at all. A lack of belief in something has naught to do with considering something as a remote possibility.

That right there is a very definite distinction being made and the use of the word "belief" is key and not interchangeable.

Surely if you believe in something not to exist, you could aswel be ruling out the possibility of it existing? Therefore would it not mean both types of people, the people who rule out the possibility and the people that dont?

If I go back and edit the post with "some atheists (the ones that rule out a possibility of there being a God) are idiots", would that suffice?

Surely if you believe in something not to exist, you could aswel be ruling out the possibility of it existing? Therefore would it not mean both types of people, the people who rule out the possibility and the people that dont?

If I go back and edit the post with "some atheists (the ones that rule out a possibility of there being a God) are idiots", would that suffice?

Nope, if doesn't mean that.

And as for your proposed edits, sure, go for it.

Athiesm is against the belief of god, or more broadly religion, not god.

How can one be against something that doesn't exist?

C'mon son.

And yes there is life out there, no doubt abou it. Hope we find them soon and hopefully they disprove all this religous bollocks once and for all and the world can move all and leave the cretins behind.

Athiesm is against the belief of god, or more broadly religion, not god.

It's actually very specifically the rejection of a belief in a God. Religion doesn't come into the definition and is just a by product that most atheists also happen to reject (not all atheists reject religion and there are atheist religions in the world).

athiest religion?

sounds like an anarchist group.

Yup. Raëlianism is one example. The religion believes life on earth was created by......

ALIENS.

The thread has come fill circle.

Â