Is there intelligent life out there ?

tonyh29

Is there other intelligent life out there ?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Is there other intelligent life out there ?

• Yes - All Hail our new insect overlords
    • No - We are all alone

I.m sorry, but i don't believe on anything there is written in the bible :-)

Fair enough....

However I was actually pointing out what is NOT written in the Bible. ie the Earth being the centre of the Universe...

What is written is entirely in agreement with our latest observations of our vast Universe

(Genesis 22:17) . . .like the stars of the heavens and like the grains of sand that are on the seashore. . .

I.m sorry, but i don't believe on anything there is written in the bible :-)

Fair enough....

However I was actually pointing out what is NOT written in the Bible. ie the Earth being the centre of the Universe...

What is written is entirely in agreement with our latest observations of our vast Universe

(Genesis 22:17) . . .like the stars of the heavens and like the grains of sand that are on the seashore. . .

Our latest observations? Don't you mean our ancient observations that pre-date the bible?

There has to be. However, I would imagine the chances of us encountering them are slim, given the difficulties of space travel, such as the immense distances required.

You'd think the Bible would mention aliens.

This poll could really also ask the question are you christian or not?

because i don't think many christian people would believe there would be intelligent life anywhere else than on the earth

I may be wrong in this, but this is what i believe till someone disprove me in it :-)

Our latest observations? Don't you mean our ancient observations that pre-date the bible?

Are you referring to Mesopotamian and Egyptian astrology & astronomers? ....Exactly who?

If you are then as Moses who wrote the book of Genesis was bought up as a son of Pharoah, as an Egyptian, then he would have been fully versed in the Astronomical observances of the Ancient world. (Acts 7:22) . . ."Consequently Moses was instructed in all the wisdom of the Egyptians. In fact, he was powerful in his words and deeds"

It was not until sometime afterwards that Grecian astronomers & subsequently Plato that their astronomers mused about the origins of the Universe surely?

It is also only since modern day telescopes had the ability to see the vastness of space & the innumerable stars in the Universe that grains of sand on the beach like The Rev mentioned is entirely appropriate.

because i don't think many christian people would believe there would be intelligent life anywhere else than on the earth

I would think that all who beleive in a Creator & his heavenly organisation beleive there is intelligent life elsewhere in the Universe.

However as that life is in a different dimension then I put No because I thought you would be talking about Aliens in the ET sense of the word.

It's odd that people of science now appear to be arguing for the existence of something they can neither touch or see and there is absolutely no evidence to support it's existence....

Yet they scoff at someone who apply that same set of criteria to the existence of intelligent life in the Universe in the form of a Creator &

his organisation...

Presumably alien abduction tales hold far more weight that the writings of 40 men in 66 books through thousands of years??!!

Thought so!

There is a logical end to saying it though Julie.

Our understanding of the universe is that is so absolutely enormously vast, far far more vast that we can even see from where we are, that purely on the logic of chance, there has to be other life out there. The universe's nature as infinite means that everything that is possible, exists.

The rest of what you put is claptrap, sorry.

Are you referring to Mesopotamian and Egyptian astrology & astronomers? ....Exactly who?

If you are then as Moses who wrote the book of Genesis was bought up as a son of Pharoah, as an Egyptian, then he would have been fully versed in the Astronomical observances of the Ancient world. (Acts 7:22) . . ."Consequently Moses was instructed in all the wisdom of the Egyptians. In fact, he was powerful in his words and deeds"

It was not until sometime afterwards that Grecian astronomers & subsequently Plato that their astronomers mused about the origins of the Universe surely?

It is also only since modern day telescopes had the ability to see the vastness of space & the innumerable stars in the Universe that grains of sand on the beach like The Rev mentioned is entirely appropriate.

Despite rejecting the various premises in your questions here (such as assuming some guy called Moses wrote Genesis and that he was fully versed in anything - [citation needed] I think), I'll entertain them in order to provide an answer.

Agreed dates of Moses vary but 13th century BC (1400/1300/1200BC - that sort of era) is considered to be when he was kicking around.

Mesopotamian Civilisation - 5300 BC

Egyptian Civilisation - 3000 BC

Ancient people who have eyes and can say "**** me, that's a lot of twinkly thing" when they look up at night - since well before all of the above.

And who said anything about the origins of the universe? We're talking about the bible not being the first time the observation that there's lots of stars was made....because it wasn't. The reason it's in the bible is because the people who wrote that particular piece of popular literature already held that idea.

It's odd that people of science now appear to be arguing for the existence of something they can neither touch or see and there is absolutely no evidence to support it's existence.... Yet they scoff at someone who apply that same set of criteria to the existence of intelligent life in the Universe in the form of a Creator &

his organisation...

That's because they're not applying the same set of criteria. That you think they are is the problem.

Anyway, I don't want to derail this thread so please consider this my short response and let us allow the thread to continue without becoming another tiresome religious debate where no one changes their minds about anything.

well as 'wonders of the solar system' pointed out, ancient civilisation thought the earth was in the centre of the universe and that everything orbited around it. But that was disproved upon the discover of Mars and the orbital changes we see in the sky.

I think the fact that Mars was very similar to Earth a few billion years ago proves that other planets in our own solar system had the right initial climate etc to habour potential life.

thinking that we are the only intelligent physical beings in the entire universe is pretty remote.

I would think that all who beleive in a Creator & his heavenly organisation beleive there is intelligent life elsewhere in the Universe.

However as that life is in a different dimension then I put No because I thought you would be talking about Aliens in the ET sense of the word.

It's odd that people of science now appear to be arguing for the existence of something they can neither touch or see and there is absolutely no evidence to support it's existence....

Yet they scoff at someone who apply that same set of criteria to the existence of intelligent life in the Universe in the form of a Creator &

his organisation...

Presumably alien abduction tales hold far more weight that the writings of 40 men in 66 books through thousands of years??!!

Thought so!

Given that there are billions of galaxies, with billions of stars in each one, the chances of life developing elsewhere other than earth are quite high. If you have the right conditions for life, then it could well exist elsewhere, that's just common sense. The idea that there's some benevolent/malevolent magic sky fairy who created it all is nothing to do with science whatsoever. If you want to believe such errant nonsense, that's your choice, but don't mix it up with proper science, because it's got bugger all to with it.

Frankly I also think that it is totally madness that we send probes out with our address on

based on a completely mindless assumption that if there is life out there, it is naturally hostile towards us.

those who have done it, can in theory be the cause of humanity's downfall. bloody fools :-)

But i wonder if we have taken the lives of ourselves before it happens

Â