1. 1. Which party gets your X

• Labour
    • Conservative (and UUP alliance)
    • Liberal Democrat
    • Green
    • SNP
    • Plaid Cymru
    • UKIP
    • Jury Team (Coallition of Independents)
    • BNP
    • Spoil Ballot
    • Not voting

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder what he said?

Labour Party suspends South East Cambridgeshire hopeful

The Labour Party has suspended its candidate for South East Cambridgeshire over allegations of inappropriate comments on an online forum.

A party spokesman described the actions of John Cowan as "totally unacceptable and well below what the party expects of its candidates".

A decision will now be made whether to expel him from the party.

It had been reported that Mr Cowan had made a number of offensive comments on online forums.

Mr Cowan's suspension comes too late for him to be replaced on the ballot paper.

He was unavailable for comment on Monday morning.

The declared candidates for the South East Cambridgeshire seat are: Christian Peoples Alliance: Daniel Bell; Liberal Democrat: Jonathan Chatfield; Labour: John Cowan; UKIP: Andy Monk; Conservative: James Paice; Green: Simon Sedgwick-Jell; Independent: Geoffrey Woollard.

How many candidates have we lost through posting on the internet and tweeting

Torygraph"]During Labour's candidate selection process Mr Cowan was asked whether anything in his past could embarrass the Labour party. He replied "No" because, he said, he did not consider his actions embarrassing.

After his departure from the Lib Dems, he considered joining the Tories before choosing Labour. He added: "Even though I've been a Liberal Democrat and discussed joining the Conservatives, I believe I'm a Labour man through and through."

Ed Milly said they are fair when it comes to the environment. Does that mean they are going to change their policy on Air Passenger Duty and not double it like they are doing at the end of this year?

Seems like Portillo (on This Week last Thursday) might have been on to something (or Clegg was listening to him :winkold:):

Nick Clegg names price for Labour: no Gordon Brown

The Liberal Democrat leader Nick Clegg made clear today that he would be prepared to support a Labour Party that had slumped to third in the share of the vote — but not if Gordon Brown remained in No 10.

With opinion polls pointing to a hung Parliament, Mr Clegg said it would be “inexplicable” for Mr Brown to remain as Prime Minister if his party finished with fewer votes than the Tories or Lib Dems, even if Labour had the most seats.

But he said he would be prepared to work with anyone else within Labour or any other party that was prepared to deliver his aims — including electoral reform, which is an “absolute pre-condition” for renewing British politics.

...more on link

Seems like Portillo (on This Week last Thursday) might have been on to something (or Clegg was listening to him :winkold:):

Nick Clegg names price for Labour: no Gordon Brown

The Liberal Democrat leader Nick Clegg made clear today that he would be prepared to support a Labour Party that had slumped to third in the share of the vote — but not if Gordon Brown remained in No 10.

With opinion polls pointing to a hung Parliament, Mr Clegg said it would be “inexplicable” for Mr Brown to remain as Prime Minister if his party finished with fewer votes than the Tories or Lib Dems, even if Labour had the most seats.

But he said he would be prepared to work with anyone else within Labour or any other party that was prepared to deliver his aims — including electoral reform, which is an “absolute pre-condition” for renewing British politics.

...more on link

oh dear, that just killed my option of a lib dem vote then.

Just had some shiny leaflets through from the Torys! The council candidate starts off by saying she dislikes football and is dreading the World Cup (thats a vote winner I'm sure)

Whilst the CV of PPC says he advises firms with taxs issues (ahem...) more like dodging tax I'm sure..

Why?

I didn't have you down as one of Gordo's fans. :P

does it not mean though that Lib Dems would side with Labour in a hung parliament?

therefore Clegg also basically removing himself as this being a truly 3 horse race.

it also means people like myself who were actually taking more notice of the lib dems and actually read a bit of their manifesto, isn't really going to vote for them now.

To be fair though glad because the Lib Dem candidate for Cov North West isn't exactly my kind of MP anyway. and the alternative Labour candidate is geoffry robinson.

Why?

I didn't have you down as one of Gordo's fans. :P

does it not mean though that Lib Dems would side with Labour in a hung parliament?

therefore Clegg also basically removing himself as this being a truly 3 horse race.

it also means people like myself who were actually taking more notice of the lib dems and actually read a bit of their manifesto, isn't really going to vote for them now.

To be fair though glad because the Lib Dem candidate for Cov North West isn't exactly my kind of MP anyway. and the alternative Labour candidate is geoffry robinson.

I think you've read that the wrong way.

I think the important part was that if he chose to work with Labour in a hung parliament then it would likely be with no Gordo (though that perhaps depends upon Labour coming third).

Further down the article, he says:

“As for who I’d work with, I’ve been very clear — much clearer than David Cameron and Gordon Brown — that I will work with anyone, I will work with a man from the Moon, I don’t care, with anyone who can deliver the greater fairness that I think people want.”

Susan is basically getting carried away with his importance ( must be a party thing as didn't Saint Vince invite himself to the treasury and then tell all the papers he was asked to attend !!) and seems to be taking it for granted that they will be coming second (maybe even first)

He seems to forget that 2 weeks ago the country didn't appear to want Lib Dem policies , and possibly they still don't ? unless someone is going to tell me the recent surge is down to Lib Dem Policies and not the recent performance on the TV debates ?