What would you do?  

468 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• £30m or more to Citeh
    • £30m or more to Chelsea
    • £30m or more to Man United
    • No sale under any realistic circumstances
    • £30m or more to whoever wants him

If we can sell a player for £30m, then why can't we buy one for the same ?

over to you Randy

Because players worth that much will want to play for bigger clubs or be wanted by bigger clubs.

kind of what i alluded to in my post BJ.

Simply not going to happen, at this point.

And don't forget the wages the players that cost that much wants. It's not about having the money to buy the player. So much more than that.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It'd be a waste of an opportunity to replace Milner with a £30m player.

IF we do sell him for £30m then I'd like MON to buy a replacement for about 10-15m. Centre midfield isn't the biggest problem for us at the moment.

If we get £30m for Milner then we should use that, on top of the money from selling fringe players, to really boost the quality of the whole squad.

- A striker

- A midfielder or two

- A fullback

If we can sell a player for £30m, then why can't we buy one for the same ?

over to you Randy

Because players worth that much will want to play for bigger clubs or be wanted by bigger clubs.

kind of what i alluded to in my post BJ.

Simply not going to happen, at this point.

Well it could do (with the potential money) but it would probably be on a player not worth that.

A City insider said: “It’s been a frustrating time, but the owner, chairman and chief executive are adamant that they will not pay over-inflated prices.”

Looks like they won't be signing many players then because paying over inflated prices & wages is how they have signed most of their team and why else would players want to sign for them?

I think the World Cup might make or break this deal. James has a good one becomes a bigger target but realises he can hit the heights playing for Villa or he may play only off the bench and other clubs may look elsewhere as his profile will have faded.

We should stick with £30m and no less in any negotiations and I for one would be happy if we told them they can keep their money.

We can't buy another James Milner at any price because there is not another one out there for a team in Villa's position. 30 MILLION pounds will not alter that fact.

Man City can afford to make an offer for any world class midfielder anywhere in the world, and they can also offer unbelievable wages. Just one problem, they are not yet a top club and are not playing in the champions league, hence their approach for the very talented and fast improving JM.

Milner is the best prospect that the richest club in the world can realistically chase at the moment, their only other option is to target a classy over the hill has been from RM or Barca.

If JM goes he will be a massive loss to Villa.

Oh no but talk of "we can't offer that" and "you have to take wages into account as well" and the infamous "spend within our means" are all phrases that would have been pounced upon in the Ellis era, but are now readily and widely available and used.

Spend within our means is a classic. I would actually argue that we haven't done that to date in The Randy era. Yet people use the phrase as if it is common place for us, and in fact other clubs generally, to do that.

Ellisian indeed

Our means is considerably higher than it was under HDE. Just because the term is being used doesn't mean we're under the same restrictions. You'll probably find that Chelsea spend 'within their means' too.

two things

s) The comment above about Ellis is absolutely spot on !!!.

For 30 yrs we slagged off Ellis for coming out with the same crap the fans are now....

30m is too good to turn down , we cannot attract those sort of players (just remember a bottom of the league Blue Teenwolf signed bloody Dugarry !) , six place is a fantastic season for a team like us , we cannot achieve top 4 , a team like Villa will never attract stars.

blah de blah

This goes to show how much bloody pain Ellis caused us. The fans have had it drummed into them for so many years, they now believe it.

B) Onto Milner - he ain't THAT good, I keep saying it. Couldn't get another player of his quality, even if we spent 30m.

Tell you this. Milner is 24 1/2 - he ain't that young, and he will probably only get better now out of being bled into the centre role and getting used to it - he won't improve his actual ability.

Stephen Ireland is just as good, potentially better at what, 8m

And I tell you what - there is a kid 5 years younger, showing just as much potential as Milner and will cost nowt come December - his name is Fabian Delph.

Milner is back up to Barry and SWP or Joe Cole

Now that my friends, says it all on how good he is.

He is an England squad member at 24. Good , but nowhere near this hype he is being made up to be.

Have to laugh at the Man City insider saying the chairman, owner and manager are adamant they won't pay inflated prices. The words removed have been going about flashing their cash, acting like smug clearings in the woods who think they some what now have the right to the holy grail.

Our means is considerably higher than it was under HDE. Just because the term is being used doesn't mean we're under the same restrictions. You'll probably find that Chelsea spend 'within their means' too.

Exactly what i was going to say.

If Solihull Moors spend within their means it's pennies. if Man City spend within their means it's hundreds of millions of pounds.

The term is relative.

"within our means" now stands for a lot more money than it did under Doug.

And I tell you what - there is a kid 5 years younger, showing just as much potential as Milner and will cost nowt come December - his name is Fabian Delph.

i wish you was right but sadly i havent seen anything to suggest delph will be anywhere near as good as milner. hopefully in due course he might but at present not convinced

i wish you was right but sadly i havent seen anything to suggest delph will be anywhere near as good as milner. hopefully in due course he might but at present not convinced

Delph is a different type of player to Milner, but I think he'll be just as good - if not better!

Delph is so comfortable on the ball, he has a lot more skill and technical ability than Milner.

He dribbles around players with the ball almost stuck to his foot. All he needs is a bit of Premiership experience and he'll be a major player for us and, I believe in time, England.

Delph was our best player on the pitch against Blackburn in the FA Cup - even if he only played half a game. It was his vision for a crossfield pass to Young who then set up our first goal IIRC.

Milner is currently one of the England teams better players according to Capello and also according to what I've just seen on sky sports in the friendly that's just finished 3-0 to England.

Delph is a young man with real potential but to say he is better than Milner is just plain wrong. When he comes back fully fit after his severe knee injury he will still have a lot to learn and he will also need to play a lot of matches if he is to fulfil his undoubted potential.

Interestingly the 'take it or leave offer' by Man City was reported as £25m in the Sunday Mirror and is now £27m according to the Star. Meanwhile Mancini is on the beach in Sardinia (pic in the Sunday Times). I love these in depth stoies!!

Did he have the scarf on in the beach?

Zatman, I do so wish I could say yes to that! :lol:

Interestingly the 'take it or leave offer' by Man City was reported as £25m in the Sunday Mirror and is now £27m according to the Star. Meanwhile Mancini is on the beach in Sardinia (pic in the Sunday Times). I love these in depth stoies!!

Scarf or no scarf Man City don't need Mancini around to sign a player. Their CEO Garry Cook is in charge of player recruitment.

Scarf or no scarf Man City don't need Mancini around to sign a player. Their CEO Garry Cook is in charge of player recruitment.

Maybe not but my point was that there are very mixed messages from the media.