The Wrestling Topic

Vandrell

10 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Ill be up for it gareth

I am not going now (baby on the way!) but may pop down for the experience and to meet some of you awesome people. Just nobody from Basingstoke, it’s such a weird place, best keep away from residents…. 😉

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Dodgyknees said:

I am not going now (baby on the way!) but may pop down for the experience and to meet some of you awesome people. Just nobody from Basingstoke, it’s such a weird place, best keep away from residents…. 😉

Thats a shame! Congrats on the naby news mate 😃

• Thanks 1

Tickets sorted this morning, very easy process, although limited choice at this stage of course. I'll be up in the gods. 

Once someone decides where and when a meet up is happening, I'll try and work it in to my travel plans. I intend to avoid the train at all costs, probably drive to Watford and tube it. 

• Like 1

AEW have now opened up the whole stadium, so they're going for 90k or as close to it as they can get. 

They had sold over 60k before they opened up the rest of the seats and the number of tickets allocated before opening up the whole stadium was 66,000, so I can only assume they hit that allocation, or got close enough to require opening up more seats.

Over 60k sold without a single match announced is insane. I mean, WWE did the UK last year and sold 62,296 tickets for Clash of the Castle at a venue that can hold over 78,000 when set up for wrestling/boxing. 

I know WWE claim they sold 80,355 tickets to Summerslam '92 (the last wrestling event to do Wembley), but from what I've heard it was closer to 76,000 sold. AEW might not sell out Wembley, but they might beat Summerslam '92.

Not too bad for a company that isn't WWE.

3 minutes ago, Daweii said:

AEW have now opened up the whole stadium, so they're going for 90k or as close to it as they can get. 

They had sold over 60k before they opened up the rest of the seats and the number of tickets allocated before opening up the whole stadium was 66,000, so I can only assume they hit that allocation, or got close enough to require opening up more seats.

Over 60k sold without a single match announced is insane. I mean, WWE did the UK last year and sold 62,296 tickets for Clash of the Castle at a venue that can hold over 78,000 when set up for wrestling/boxing. 

I know WWE claim they sold 80,355 tickets to Summerslam '92 (the last wrestling event to do Wembley), but from what I've heard it was closer to 76,000 sold. AEW might not sell out Wembley, but they might beat Summerslam '92.

Not too bad for a company that isn't WWE.

Where did you hear those figures? 

It's pretty amazing for a show that hasn't announced a match.

10 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Where did you hear those figures? 

It's pretty amazing for a show that hasn't announced a match.

It was from WrestleTix on twitter, I'll link to both tweets. 

I did misread the initial tweet somewhat as they stated AEW have likely sold over 60k and had 6,100 or so tickets remaining, and then an hour later posted that AEW had opened up the whole stadium. So, the ticket allocation was probably closer to 70,000 before opening up the rest of the stadium. 

First Tweet
Second Tweet

• Thanks 1

The seat map as of 6:50pm GMT tonight;

O0yB2Uh.png

A lot less blue than I was expecting with zero matches announced. If they announce Stings retirement match for All In then wrestling fans from around the globe will be buying up those remaining seats. 

I got an even higher resolution image here: Imgur Link

Edited by Daweii

Well done to them for filling Wembley but I will never understand paying to go to a wrestling or boxing or MMA event where for most of the seats you're having to watch on a screen anyway as you're too far away from the ring.

6 minutes ago, villaajax said:

Well done to them for filling Wembley but I will never understand paying to go to a wrestling or boxing or MMA event where for most of the seats you're having to watch on a screen anyway as you're too far away from the ring.

we went to wrestlemania in miami. my mate was dead chuffed when he got us these great presale seats on the lower tier. unfortunately they had these massively thick plastic palm trees on each turnbuckle that, from our vantage point, covered most of our view of the ring and we had to watch most of the event on the big screens

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villaajax said:

Look, all I'm saying is there's an amount of money I'm happy to part with to be in the same building as Tay Melo. 😬

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/05/2023 at 08:36, Dodgyknees said:

Absolutely love this belt 

makes the Smackdown titles look cheap 

I just don’t like the logo in the middle the original design was a masterpiece.

21 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

I just don’t like the logo in the middle the original design was a masterpiece.

I think the swooshes in black might improve it, but as it stands I love the belt.

6 hours ago, Chindie said:

I'm not a big wrestling fan but given I'm interested in a bunch of things that run tangential to it I pick up a load by osmosis. The appeal is basically the mix of soap opera style storylines combined with theatre and acrobatics. Slap that onto it's own little world where those 'in the know' literally have an inside understanding of the game and it's got that cult fandom thing down to a tee.

And of course it helps that literally everyone involved in the thing is a larger than life personality with varying levels of personal issues and drama that is unrelated to the job persona, which in turn leads to it generating it's own scandals, news etc. And hence why so many of them end up in these threads - decades of personal strife and pushing physicality to the limit all the time means they all end up dying tragically. Sometimes they even go totally nuts like Benoit. It's an interesting world.

moving to the wrestling thread

so i used to be well into wwf/wwe...all through the attitude era and still find myself watching old raw/smackdown/ppvs from time to time. it was sensational television. obviously i knew it was all scripted etc to the point that i often fast forwarded the matches to the dramatic conclusion and the various goings on between matches but, as you say, it was a soap opera.

however when i hear people talking about wrestling now, this part in bold i really don't get. when i watched it through my teens/early 20s, we talked about what happened as if it was real...even though we knew it wasn't, the same way our mums would talk about eastenders or corrie with their mates.. but now it seems that people are more talking about it like they're critiquing the decision by the powers that be to go with a certain 'angle'. how it was great that mr x 'put over' mr y. the decision for this guy to turn 'face'. irrespective of the fact that it's just hasn't got the attitude (for lack of a better word) it used to have, the books by the various wrestlers plus podcasts etc have ruined the magic somewhat...IMO anyway.

• Like 1

Â