The Wrestling Topic

Vandrell

My mate just sent me this video to watch from last nights Raw.

After not watching wrestling at all for nigh on 6 years after it went a bit shit, i think CM Punk just could have possibly made it interesting to me again. One of the best promos ive seen in a looooooong time.

Im not gonna watch it again but i may be keeping an eye on it to see when he comes back as its obviously a work but if done right this could be the start of something of Austin/Rock/Flair like proportions.

I'm hoping it is a shoot.

I'm also hoping CM Punk is booked to lose against Cena at MITB, but shoot pins him, and walks out of there with the title.

If it is a work, then got to give huge props to Vince for actually letting it happen, CM Punk literally said everything that people have been saying is wrong with the WWE. If Vince is letting him run with that as a gimmick, then damn, he might actually be seeing the light.

He wont pin him if the speech was unscripted. They will just pull another Montreal Screwjob if they have to, they were right to do it to Brett Hart back in the day and they would be right to do it again if this is for real. No individual is bigger than the company.

I saw the video on the internet earlier and I had the same reaction as Ingram. I havent watched Wrestling for more than 10 years other than the odd episode with my nephew (and we went to the WWE show in Birmingham last year) but the video got me interested. It seems very well stage managed though, the speech ended on a cliffhanger and there has been no attempt to take videos down from YouTube so it really might be part of the plot. Either way WWE just got infinitely more interesting for millions of people.

I hope that's real. It certainly sounds like he's not finished when he's cut off.

BUt similarly to other people, I'm slightly interested now.

However, if it isn't real (and bear in mind I barely know who CM punk is, never mind where he sits on the WWE hierarchy) the line

"this might sound like sour grapes, but it's not" sounds to me about as false as they come. He just sounded bitter that he's not as marketable as other people.

Wrestling is as much about the appeal to the fans of a wrestler as it is about wrestling. As Mick Foley says in his book "I got more cheers pulling a smelly sock out of my pants than I ever did doing real wrestling"

My mate just sent me this video to watch from last nights Raw.

After not watching wrestling at all for nigh on 6 years after it went a bit shit, i think CM Punk just could have possibly made it interesting to me again. One of the best promos ive seen in a looooooong time.

Im not gonna watch it again but i may be keeping an eye on it to see when he comes back as its obviously a work but if done right this could be the start of something of Austin/Rock/Flair like proportions.

Incredible video.

Never liked CM Punk but that speech was beautiful.

Of course it's a work, Vince knows exactly what the internet fans will make of it, the guy is a genius.

Punk is quality though, I don't see it often but I did see an episode a few months ago when he quoted a line from a Fugazi song :D Did he ever do the Pepsi Plunge after he left the indie circuit? That was around the time I lost interest in wrestling in general, but it was thought he'd never use not only due to the name, but mostly due to the fact it makes HHH's finisher real weak.

I just watched it too. Anyone remember when The Dudleyz left ECW and were tag champs, they cut a 'shoot' in which they said they were taking the titles and laying them at the feet of Vince. It was great. Naturally, they lost the titles and they didn't go anywhere :D I think a similar thing happened when Taz left too? The lack of a mention of TNA in the 'shoot' makes me believe more than anything that it's a work. Vince would never ever allow them to be mentioned, but the others are fair game

Of course it's a work, Vince knows exactly what the internet fans will make of it, the guy is a genius.

Punk is quality though, I don't see it often but I did see an episode a few months ago when he quoted a line from a Fugazi song :D Did he ever do the Pepsi Plunge after he left the indie circuit? That was around the time I lost interest in wrestling in general, but it was thought he'd never use not only due to the name, but mostly due to the fact it makes HHH's finisher real weak.

Idd, doesn't stop me marking out and hoping it was real though! (There's no way he'd have got to say as much as he did if it was a shoot, he'd have been cut off nearly straight away, and it'd never have gone out on TV, it might be "live" but there's still a delay). It's funny though because most of what Punk says is true, Vince would be a lot richer if he wasn't so shite at putting out a decent product. I don't know any smarks that actually enjoy most of what the WWE put out these days. Constantly wasting pushes and with no real logic to the booking.

The official line is the Pepsi Plunge is too damaging to his knees to be done as often as the WWE would require. I'd like to see him do it in big matches, but yeah, you can't really take a normal pedigree seriously once you've seen someone do one from the top rope. Still that's a problem I have with most moves these days, there's so many that are all flair whilst not looking like they'd actually hurt. Pretty much everything sin cara does for instance, sure it looks pretty with all his high flying, but honestly you'd just stand right back up from most of it it looks like there's no force behind any of it.

Sorry, what's a shoot? Wasn't that aired out on television then?

Slightly confused...

A shoot is something unplanned or unscripted. If he just went out there and started talking trash about the company without it being planned it would have been a shoot.

Yeah, it was aired, hence why it probably wasn't a shoot. There's too many people it'd have to get past, they dip the audio when there's excessive swearing, yet would allow this to go out "live" if it wasn't planned? Like all live TV there's a delay just in case something happens that shouldn't, giving them time to cut it from the feed.

It will have been what's known as a "worked shoot" a scripted piece that's meant to look like a shoot, but isn't. In all likeliness he will have been told to go out there and talk shit about the company, and Vince et all were sat out back pissing themselves laughing at it.

Whether this was scripted or not, CM Punk is absolutely right with everything he says.

I don't know if he is going to leave after the Money In The Bank PPV or not. I have a feeling he may want to return to ROH, but Vince and the WWE should be doing all they can to keep CM Punk. He is the most talented wrestler they have on their roster and he is the best at cutting promos, he knows this himself, I'm sure most of the WWE locker room know this and after reading a WWE forum to see the general reaction to this promo, it seems the majority of WWE fans recognise this as well.

This guy could be huge, I mean on the level of Stone Cold, The Rock, Bret Hart, HBK etc and the WWE need to recognise this and do all they can to keep him.

This guy could be huge, I mean on the level of Stone Cold

This was CM Punk's 3:16.

Now it's up to the WWE to actually make good use of the heat and give him the proper push he deserves. I don't have much faith in that considering how many pushes they've wasted recently.

Rumour has it CM Punk wants to take time off, so what they should do is let him leave with the title, maybe even let him defend it on ROH although I can't see Vince doing that as it'd be acknowledging a rival, I'm surprised he even let it be mentioned, create an interim championship, and build up some heat for a unification match with CM Punk returning as the top heel in the company.

This guy could be huge, I mean on the level of Stone Cold

This was CM Punk's 3:16.

Now it's up to the WWE to actually make good use of the heat and give him the proper push he deserves. I don't have much faith in that considering how many pushes they've wasted recently.

Rumour has it CM Punk wants to take time off, so what they should do is let him leave with the title, maybe even let him defend it on ROH although I can't see Vince doing that as it'd be acknowledging a rival, I'm surprised he even let it be mentioned, create an interim championship, and build up some heat for a unification match with CM Punk returning as the top heel in the company.

Throw that AWFUL belt in the bin! WCW Style.

Sorry, what's a shoot? Wasn't that aired out on television then?

Slightly confused...

A shoot is something unplanned or unscripted. If he just went out there and started talking trash about the company without it being planned it would have been a shoot.

Yeah, it was aired, hence why it probably wasn't a shoot. There's too many people it'd have to get past, they dip the audio when there's excessive swearing, yet would allow this to go out "live" if it wasn't planned? Like all live TV there's a delay just in case something happens that shouldn't, giving them time to cut it from the feed.

It will have been what's known as a "worked shoot" a scripted piece that's meant to look like a shoot, but isn't. In all likeliness he will have been told to go out there and talk shit about the company, and Vince et all were sat out back pissing themselves laughing at it.

A shoot is not necessarily anything unplanned it is when you break kayfabe and talk from a real perspective out of character.

This was a shoot in a sense but it was worked. As in it was planned but it reflected Punk's true feelings. I can't believe WWE are letting him go over something as trivial as ownership of his ring name.

Anyway MITB in Chicago should be explosive. They have the best live crowd there and with it also being Punk's hometown I expect a reaction for Cena similar to this.

A shoot is not necessarily anything unplanned it is when you break kayfabe and talk from a real perspective out of character.

This was a shoot in a sense but it was worked. As in it was planned but it reflected Punk's true feelings. I can't believe WWE are letting him go over something as trivial as ownership of his ring name.

No, a shoot doesn't even have to be talking, there can be a shoot in a match, such as when Puder putting Angle in a kimura lock. It is anything that isn't a planned work. You can even have kayfabe shoots if a heel does something in character that wasn't booked. A shoot has nothing to do with kayfabe and everything to do with doing something the company doesn't want you to do.

Like I said, it's a worked shoot, a work that's meant to look like a shoot, but isn't.

I'd stick money on Punk already having a new contract signed up, you don't push a guy like this without having his future secure, it does serious damage to the WWE if he goes now after that promo, it adds real legitimacy to his claims that can otherwise just be laughed off as standard heel behaviour. The wanting ownership of his ring name is interesting, and one that I find pretty hard to buy. The WWE have historically only gone after ownership of wrestler names that they developed, guys that own their own name and gimmick that they bought to the WWE are generally allowed to keep theirs. Personally I think it's just a story put out there to help sell the story.

maybe even let him defend it on ROH although I can't see Vince doing that as it'd be acknowledging a rival, I'm surprised he even let it be mentioned

Eh, they let ECW 'invade' when they were in trouble to financially to give them more exposure (in fact, wasn't it to coincide with the first PPV in an attempt to boost buys?), and it worked. Letting the titles go anywhere reeks of WCW though, as said above, he'd never do that.

And as for giving him a push after this - he is a multi-time world champion, right? The fact that they have the guy as heel when he is straight edge says it all for me. Wouldn't promoting a drug free way of life be a wonderful thing to do for the kids watching at home? Yeah, but what they actually do is make him the bad guy and if anything actually poke fun it. He'll go for awhile, Jericho will come back I hear, then maybe a few months down the line Punk will get a face turn on his return

He uses the straight edge gimmick to emphasize his character whether face or heel.

When a face, he has the say your prayers, take your vitamins, drink your milk approach and as a heel he tells everybody else they are lame and disgusting for not being straight edge and makes him arrogant, so it works either way.

I don't want him to be a face though, he is spot on as an antagonist, his mic work and promos are outstanding. His face persona (at least in WWE) was pretty boring.

maybe even let him defend it on ROH although I can't see Vince doing that as it'd be acknowledging a rival, I'm surprised he even let it be mentioned

Eh, they let ECW 'invade' when they were in trouble to financially to give them more exposure (in fact, wasn't it to coincide with the first PPV in an attempt to boost buys?), and it worked. Letting the titles go anywhere reeks of WCW though, as said above, he'd never do that.

And as for giving him a push after this - he is a multi-time world champion, right? The fact that they have the guy as heel when he is straight edge says it all for me. Wouldn't promoting a drug free way of life be a wonderful thing to do for the kids watching at home? Yeah, but what they actually do is make him the bad guy and if anything actually poke fun it. He'll go for awhile, Jericho will come back I hear, then maybe a few months down the line Punk will get a face turn on his return

With the ECW invasion they were already supporting the franchise financially and were looking to buy them out. The WCW invasion came after they'd already bought them up.

Although Rumour has it Vince is looking to start buying up franchises again, so who knows what will happen.

He's a multi-time world heavyweight champion, but 2 of them came after cashing in the MITB contract. He hasn't really had a hard push where he actually looks unstoppable, he's always relied on having help to get there.

And as Wainy says, Punk is like Austin, he works best as a heel. His gimmick isn't really a gimmick either, he's as straight edge as they come, which is why it works so well (and is another reason why it wasn't a shoot, if it was he'd have ripped into the "wellness program" and pointed out the high levels of drug use in the WWE still *cough*Mayson Ryan*cough*).

With the ECW invasion they were already supporting the franchise financially and were looking to buy them out. The WCW invasion came after they'd already bought them up.

Although Rumour has it Vince is looking to start buying up franchises again, so who knows what will happen.

Wrong invasion. I imagine hogso was referring to the "invasion" in the 90's when ECW were just starting to put a bit of pressure on the big boys, and were looking for publicity for their first PPV.

If you ask me, that move by Vince was because he saw that ECW were gathering a "cult" following, if you will, but didn't see them as a serious threat. Therefore if he supported them it woudl look like he was giving them a massive boost (which he was), and so give him some credence with their fans, whilst not seriously endangering losing any of the WWF's fans

Â