Red Dead Redemption

PompeyVillan

Got the Deadman's Gun soundtrack off iTunes, and it's bleedin' awesome. I've done about two or three missions in BW and Marston has really grown on me. One of the better protagonists in an action game. The song tied in quite well with his personality I think. I just have this feeling that some shit is about to be tossed my way towards the end. You can sense his growing frustration at this point, but some sort of reckoning is due I think, mainly because this game has a slightly different tone to it compared to GTA IV despite the level of violence being just about the same. Simply brilliant game in my opinion.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was thinking about RDR earlier.

It's probably the tautest story driven game Rockstar have done, it's brilliant in fact.

But it doesn't have the replay value of something like GTA did. GTA4 had some evidence of that (it just isn't as fun as the older iterations), and RDR seems to be the next step on to me, it's a brilliant game but when your done, your more or less done. Theres little to piss about with single player wise, especially if like myself you did a lot of the side quests while you played the story.

Was thinking about RDR earlier.

It's probably the tautest story driven game Rockstar have done, it's brilliant in fact.

But it doesn't have the replay value of something like GTA did. GTA4 had some evidence of that (it just isn't as fun as the older iterations), and RDR seems to be the next step on to me, it's a brilliant game but when your done, your more or less done. Theres little to piss about with single player wise, especially if like myself you did a lot of the side quests while you played the story.

Spot on, I was quite obsessive about going for 100% completion as I played through but since I finished it I haven't touched it, not even for multiplayer. But maybe it's more like a film or a novel, I personally wouldn't go straight back and watch or read something I had just consumed.

Maybe it's a hopeful sign of where games could be going though, that they can contain an affecting storyline and characters you actually care about (characters full stop you could argue), that a story can be told through a game in a way it can't in other mediums. I read an argument that Red Dead could have been even better if around a third of the 'filler' missions had been cut, I'm not sure if I agree with that but if games are ever going to recognised as 'art' then something like Red Dead is a good stepping stone.

Saying all that, the game I've played most this year is MW2. Screw the artistic merit, the multiplayer is like crack, especially when a few mates play regularly too.

Actually, I thought the storyline almost felt like an afterthought in a brilliant world. Mexico seems to drag on forever, and then suddenly you've killed everybody you need to kill, then the story line changes a little and you're out to kill somebody else. The pacing seemed way off, lots of missions felt a little like a chore to do with no real relevancy to the storyline, then it all happens at once then goes back to doing nothing again.

Plus, the whole thing just seemed a little weak, somebody left you to die so now you're trying to kill them? Well that sounds complex. The story only really comes into shape towards the end, when you get into Blackwater, before that it never really seemed that interesting.

It's still probably game of the year though.

Actually, I thought the storyline almost felt like an afterthought in a brilliant world. Mexico seems to drag on forever, and then suddenly you've killed everybody you need to kill, then the story line changes a little and you're out to kill somebody else. The pacing seemed way off, lots of missions felt a little like a chore to do with no real relevancy to the storyline, then it all happens at once then goes back to doing nothing again.

Plus, the whole thing just seemed a little weak, somebody left you to die so now you're trying to kill them? Well that sounds complex. The story only really comes into shape towards the end, when you get into Blackwater, before that it never really seemed that interesting.

I agree to an extent. But I think once the theme of the game hits home (which for me was during a mission in Mexico), it really lights up as I found it to be more of a journey towards the inevitable. Things sort of fell into place then.

To add, I think the game starts well, with the Bonnie missions and helping out the police, even the getting to Mexico, the entire game at that point seems brilliant, it just seems in Mexico the game loses its way and you start doing missions for missions sake, rather than doing them out of an interest in the storyline.

I just started playing this at the start of the week, finding it very easy. Futhermore I cant find an option to change the difficulty setting anywhere, does it only let you choose at the start of the game? But i dont remember setting it then either.

The auto aim means you just cant miss really, well im still near the start of the game so I'm hoping it gets harder.

I just started playing this at the start of the week, finding it very easy. Futhermore I cant find an option to change the difficulty setting anywhere, does it only let you choose at the start of the game? But i dont remember setting it then either.

The auto aim means you just cant miss really, well im still near the start of the game so I'm hoping it gets harder.

Try increasing the aiming difficulty in the menu and things should be slightly more difficult for you. Personally I think they found a good level in terms of difficulty. There are some spikes here and there, but the legendary and random "Rockstar wall of difficulty" never pops up, which is a good thing in my opinion. The story is strong enough to want to see it through to the end, but more importantly I find the theme and tone of the story to be much more engaging than any GTA I've ever played.

I couldn’t disagree more than you with that.

Try increasing the aiming difficulty in the menu and things should be slightly more difficult for you. Personally I think they found a good level in terms of difficulty. There are some spikes here and there, but the legendary and random "Rockstar wall of difficulty" never pops up, which is a good thing in my opinion. The story is strong enough to want to see it through to the end, but more importantly I find the theme and tone of the story to be much more engaging than any GTA I've ever played.

Yeah thanks for that, I actually die a few times now. Way too easy before, where's the challenge in pressing the target button and shooting without being able to miss? They should have had it default that you aim your self.

Was still too easy until getting to Mexico. Now its becoming a proper game :)

Yeah thanks for that, I actually die a few times now. Way too easy before, where's the challenge in pressing the target button and shooting without being able to miss? They should have had it default that you aim your self.

Was still too easy until getting to Mexico. Now its becoming a proper game :)

Mexico can feel a bit drawn out, but stick with it. It's worth it. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I can't wait for this.

Hands on Preview

Also, meet your new horses..

med_105.jpg

Yup. The 4 horses of the Apocalypse.

Undead Nightmare will not only introduce a standard zombie horse to tear down the dusty trails with in the infected open-world, but Marston will also be able to tame and ride the Four Horses if he happens to find them roaming in the wilderness. It looks like these horses from Hell will be tough to wrangle though...

Each horse has a special power, making them especially enticing to track down. Death can explode any zombified heads that he comes into contact with; Famine attracts a swarm of insects and has inexhaustible stamina; Pestilence is a disgusting horse with open sores and bleeding eyes, but has a high pain threshold; and finally, War creates a blazing trail of fire wherever he goes, setting zombies alight as he gallops across the open plains.

med_107.jpg

med_109.jpg

med_106.jpg

med_108.jpg

I think I've finished the game, well 98% complete the only thing i havent got is the sharpshooter 10 rating. Cant disarm 6 people in one go.

But theres this little thing that sticks in my mind about a ghost stranger which the game never explains who he is or why he "haunted" you. Am I supposed to encounter him again at some point, or something just to explain what he was all about.

Enjoyed the game, but like I've said before it wasnt enough of a challenge (apart from killing cougars and bears with knife / dynamite). Found it far too easy with no option to change difficulty level apart from changing to manual targetting.

Some of the side missions were really annoying like picking herbs.

You can cheese the disarm thing you know.

You need to disarm 6 people without reloading. Hole up in the saloon in Thieves Landing, use the rife with lots of ammo and blast away. You wont get the law after you and there are plenty of people who want a gun fight. Dead Eye refills your ammo but it doesnt count as a reload, so just take some consumables which refill your Dead Eye if you need it.

Â