The iPhone Topic

mrchnry

My brother has Apple TV and he can now control that with his iPhone. So that's now his stereo, car stereo and his TV completely controlled by his phone. I wonder if the next step is drawing his curtains with the press of a button on it..

iPhone is great, but mine has broken so I need to send it in for repair :(

I was playing music and browsing the net, when it crashed - screen froze and the music looped the same 3 seconds of music over and over. Had to do a reset - upon resetting and connecting to the computer I receive an error message. I've tired everything from support forums, o2 iPhone support could not help, I'll try Apple support tonight, if not - I'll take it in to o2 to send off for repair, deep joy.

I have, it does a full reset and then comes up with the same error message when trying to activate the iphone through itunes, i've tried different machines also.

"iTunes cannot activate your iPhone because the SIM card is not inserted or a SIM PIN is required. Disconnect your iPhone, make sure the SIM card is inserted correctly and, if you use a SIM PIN, tap Unlock to enter it, and then reconnect your iPhone." is the error message.

If I hit the info button it says:

IMEI: Unknown

ICCID: Unknown

They'll probably send me a new SIM and I bet that wont work... Sigh...

• 2 weeks later...

I have purchased this on O2 - contract.

Is the 3G and wi-fi free for the term of your contract? I'm pretty sure it is, but just thought I'd ask to see if anyone has the same phone/contract.

I will ring up tomorrow to make sure.

Worth asking here though.

I have, it does a full reset and then comes up with the same error message when trying to activate the iphone through itunes, i've tried different machines also.

"iTunes cannot activate your iPhone because the SIM card is not inserted or a SIM PIN is required. Disconnect your iPhone, make sure the SIM card is inserted correctly and, if you use a SIM PIN, tap Unlock to enter it, and then reconnect your iPhone." is the error message.

If I hit the info button it says:

IMEI: Unknown

ICCID: Unknown

They'll probably send me a new SIM and I bet that wont work... Sigh...

Well iPhone update, I took the phone into the 02 store a week last Thursday and they sent it away for repair, had a call the following Thursday to say that Apple said the software issue was 'beyond repair' and so they had replaced the phone and it needed collecting.

It now works brilliantly and I had forgotten how much I love the phone... Ace.

I am a big Apple fan, but the actual piece of hardware isn’t that great IMO. Year on year Apple seem to be making hardware that isn’t as good as it used to be. Maybe in the old days they spoilt us, but I ve taken back two iMacs, a Macbook pro and an iPhone in the last few years for repair. Would say that the technical response has always been good.

Took said iPhone back to Apple store last week. Booked a session at the Genius Bar. No questions asked and they replaced it on the spot. Very impressed by that. Had bought it from well know shop, but after both my wife and I were victims of card fraud have refused to deal with them.

But in general the iPhone for its system and software is fantastic.

Just bug fixes for Safari, Camera etc.

Software wise I've always been extremely pleased with the performance. The only thing imo that lets the iPhone down is the inability to forward a text message, something that simple should be standard, I hope it will be provided in a future update

I believe there is an app available for forwarding messages..

There's also an app for sending photo's you take to other phones via MMS.

Not 100% as I don't actually have either.

And Laura - there are many technical things I can run you through doing, like forced recovery mode... but frankly it's not really worth it as you can get an appointment in any Apple store very easily, and there geniuses are... genius. They'll probably fix it in minutes... if not they'll give you a replacement phone.

I got an appointment the next day, at a time which suited me best (10am) at the store in the Bull Ring about a week before Christmas, when the store was very busy. If you go on their website you can reserve a time for tomorrow and you'll be seen straight away.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking to finally get an iPhone - I've been on O2 for years and I've had the option to upgrade since Oct 08 so I can change to an iPhone any time now.

My contract ends Aug/Oct time so if I go to iPhone will it just continue as normal and I renew come Aug/Oct or will the contract start again for another year from when I change to the iPhone?

Reason why I ask, I want to get an iPhone but then in Aug/Oct, I want to move onto a pay as you go sim as I'm going travelling. My friend bought an iphone from USA and put an orange sim card in and it works fine.

Â