The iPhone Topic

mrchnry

i am buying a iphone.

right now, i have a phone, and a 20gb ipod which is only 4gb full, which i carry around with me everyday.

so combining the 2 is great for me. the 2 mega pixel camera doesn't worry me, as i have a 5 mega pixel camera i can take out when i need to, which isn't very often, and if i look on my current phone, i have about 2 pictures.

it all depends on what you want in a phone. the iphone looks great and has some great features like youtube and safari. however if you need a business type phone, which has practically everything you could ever want in a phone, go for the 8gb nokia n95. it might look as nice as the iphone, but it certainly does alot more, and is certainly alot cheaper.

Mike, www.cnet.co.uk have good reviews and phone comparisons on there too, all impartial. I guess it's all about individual needs. If you're looking for more business use then the N95 offers wifi, though you do have to pay for the sat nav I've heard.

It's probably be the viewty for me. I've had sony ericssons for a while and want a change, and I've never really been a fan of Nokias. They feel too cheap and also the interface I've always found clumsy plus the battery lifes poor. But each to their own I suppose.

Mike, www.cnet.co.uk have good reviews and phone comparisons on there too, all impartial. I guess it's all about individual needs. If you're looking for more business use then the N95 offers wifi, though you do have to pay for the sat nav I've heard.

It's probably be the viewty for me. I've had sony ericssons for a while and want a change, and I've never really been a fan of Nokias. They feel too cheap and also the interface I've always found clumsy plus the battery lifes poor. But each to their own I suppose.

Thanks Stew I've had a look at the site. Still undecided - like the sound of the HTC product but dont think 02 do it

• 8 months later...

Bumping an old thread because of a funny story.

Im sure a fair few people know that the updated iPhone for 2008 (the iPhone 3G) came out recently, its shinier, more powerful and more cheaply priced. Apple plan to monetise the phone by selling "apps" on iTunes (apps are essentially small programs which could be anything from a game to a map to all kinds of enhancements to the music player)

If third parties make apps, then apple will take a 30% cut of the asking price. I think that the third party can set whatever price they want, the market will decide what it will and will not buy.

Anyway, last week someone made an app called "I am rich" which simply put a picture of a red ruby on the iPhone's screen. "I am rich" cost $999.99 to buy. I think it was ridiculed by the kind of people who care about this kind of thing and apple took the "i am rich" app off of iTunes after a day or so. After a bit of digging, it was revealed that eight people spent a thousand dollars on this app. (more reading)

Much hilarity and piss taking must have taken place, because one of the people who bought the app has given an interview.

iPhonesavior.com"]

"I Am Rich" Buyer Lashes Out At Media For Calling Her An 'Idiot'

debbie_norom_iphone.jpg

LOS ANGELES, CA - Debbie Norom, who allegedly purchased the $999.99 "I Am Rich" iPhone app, has every right to be angry after several highly visible websites called the eight individuals who bought Armin Heinrich's highly controversial iPhone application from Apple's popular AppStore, 'idiots'. A post featured on Gizmodo called the now infamous 'Crazy 8', 'morons' and 'dumbasses' who fell for an idea some considered brilliant. Norom insisted she has no regrets purchasing the wildly popular "I Am Rich" application for her iPhone, lambasting the media as "Bastard people" for their vicious name calling.

"Bad things always happen to me, sometimes twice a day," said Los Angeles resident Debbie Norom, pictured above next to her Smart Car covered in bird droppings. "That doesn't make me a moron. I happen to like expensive trendy stuff. I'm not an idiot! 'I Am Rich' is pretty cool especially now since it's gone. That makes my app a valuable collectors item worth more than $1,000 dollars if I sold it on Ebay. Can I do that?"

i_am_rich.jpg

I_am_rich The $1,000 "I Am Rich" app did nothing more than display a glowing red jewel on the iPhone, which serious developers considered a travesty of a mockery of two shams. Many iPhone faithful who first discovered the app thought it was a joke until one user's Visa card was charged the excessive fee. His AppStore review was a painful lament amounting to a sissy style, man-whining plea for Apple's to step in. Public outcry from various blogs eventually caused Apple to pull "I Am Rich" from the AppStore after eight forward thinking US residents, including Debbie Norom already purchased it, in addition to one genius in Germany and an international Mensa member in France.

"I feel really bad for other people who bought that app like me because public ridicule is so hurtful. We're real people with real lives and lots of money, not morons like everyone is reporting," Norom said choking back angry tears, "Some jackass stopped me and asked if I wanted to buy his mint condition, sealed copy of Windows Vista for $1,000. Even an idiot knows not to install that crappy program even if it's free."

The "I Am Rich" app was available for only one day before Apple yanked it from the AppStore without any explanation, causing Pete Mortensen from Cult of Mac to mourn its loss. A popular iPhone wallpaper spoof on Flickr called "I'm Rich Bitch!" quickly replaced the authentic app, featuring a stylized Apple logo in the center surrounded by a red glow like the original. Unlike the real deal, this digital art 'spoof' can be downloaded to use on your iPhone for free.

The guy who made the app made $5,600 in a day for what would have been a few minutes work. Fair play.

I quite like how the article makes a point of mentioning that the girl is standing next to a car with a ton of birdshit on the window too. Im not sure its relevant, but it made me smile.

Well I caved in and bought an iPhone3G the other week, have to say so far its all positive, mainly because it syncs with my apple comps seamlessly and my apple email account

Some of the apps are actually quite good too, even the free ones (I have bought a couple of games for it but most of the stuff I've downloaded is free) and if anyone wants a great free app it has to be remote, turns you iphone into a remote control for your itunes - works superbly

Wifi seems good, seems much better than my previous phone (a voda branded PDA thingy probably made by HTC) and once you get used to the way the tapping and pinching works the browser is very good. Wifi would be much better if I could find the password to the office network tho ;)

yes its on O2 Ali

How much do you pay a month?

My contract has expired and im looking for a shiny new phone. Id quite like wifi and a lot of storage for pictures of the little un.

£35 a month so I paid £159 for a 16GB black iPhone

You pay less the higher the contract, there is a £30 a month contract too but the allowance is shit for the money - iPhone tarrifs

If you want a £45 a month contract you get an 8GB free and the 16GB comes down in price

If you are insane enough to give them a £75 a month contract then you can have either free

• 3 weeks later...
Can you now send MMS and multiple SMS messages?

I've never felt the need to try and send a MMS so its only now that the issue even occurred to me, and the multiple SMS messages had occured to me but I just thought I hadn't figured it out

But did you ask me this because of the software update last night if thats the case I really don't know

Can you now send MMS and multiple SMS messages?

I've never felt the need to try and send a MMS so its only now that the issue even occurred to me, and the multiple SMS messages had occured to me but I just thought I hadn't figured it out

But did you ask me this because of the software update last night if thats the case I really don't know

No. been offered an early upgrade and wasn't sure if the Iphone would suit, those two things would bug me a little. Its either stay with Viewty or go with Iphone, am very undecided.

Everyone in my office has an iPhone. I've not been there long so didnt get one :( It sucks cause its such an amazing phone I really want one. As soon as I get paid I am going to that Apple Store. Easily the best phone I've ever seen.

I have to say despite hating the whole apple fashion victim thing.. I now have an ipod, well for the last few months, an older one.. modded to 3rd party software so way better.. and the last week i've been playing with iphones. I LOVE the photo galleries :D Very very tempted, but yes for the price you can do better. I spotted an archos wifi thingy 605 i think, that was even better :D

Ok I have never in my life used Itunes before but it seems I have to, how do I put songs on the iphone because I can't click and drag it doesn't seem to let me?

Edit

Hope winamp sort out an update cos I miss it, have worked it out now :P

Â