The iPhone Topic

mrchnry

Dunno if I'm being too obvious here, but this is where you find podcasts on the ipod:

Go to ipod. At the bottom in the black footer there should be a list of things

PLaylists, Artists, Songs, Videos and More.

If you click "More", you'll get a list on the screen, Podcasts should be at the bottom.

If your podcasts aren't there then you haven't synched them right I reckon.

You don't think it's worrying that they are possibly planning to remote kill iPhone's that are jailbroken, despite jailbreaking an iPhone being perfectly legal?

What on earth has this got to do with Android? You need to stop thinking that everything I post somehow has to do with bloody Android.

Jailbeaking is legal, but isn't it effectively getting free apps that un jailbroken phones have to pay for? If so that's losingapple, andthe app developers money. I don't blame them at all for trying to stop it.

But you can make apps so that they check online to see if the app is legit. You can download apps for android and install them yourself without paying but there's no point in it really, google are also bringing in the check the registry for apps.

I just think that apple being able to kill your phone remotely is plain wrong and hope it's illegal in europe.

Worrying how?

From the viewpoint of an Android user.

You're using that A word again.

Can you please try and think about something else and keep this thread on topic?

;)

Killing the phone remotely would almost certainly be a breach of the Computer Misuse Act. You have purchased the phone and it is your property. You may use it in any manner you see fit (unless that use is illegal). Apple would be on very dangerous ground to follow this path in the UK or even on a phone that happens to be in the UK at the time.

Killing the phone remotely would almost certainly be a breach of the Computer Misuse Act. You have purchased the phone and it is your property. You may use it in any manner you see fit (unless that use is illegal). Apple would be on very dangerous ground to follow this path in the UK or even on a phone that happens to be in the UK at the time.

It'd entirely depend on the method of killing and any terms you agreed to with the phone surely?

I mean if your use of the phone on a mobile network or access to the app store and app store apps was reliant on you accepting not to modify the phone in any way then surely it'd be perfectly legal for them to wipe the imei number and block access to any app store apps on the device?

Afterall you've bought the hardware, but your use of the software on it is still reliant on acceptance of the user agreements, if you breach them then it's perfectly legal for them to withdraw your use of the software.

Most EULAs would not stand up in court. In the UK you would be protected from such nonsense by the Unfair Contract Terms Act. You cannot sign away statutory rights in UK law.

A purchaser could also make a case under the Sale and Supply of Goods and Services Act in that if you bought a phone and the manufacturer has now stopped your phone from functioning as a phone then it contains a defect by allowing such an action. You cannot separate parts of the whole; it is not a phone without the software. (If you don't pay for the software then there is no contract formed anyway). You would be entitled to a refund from the retailer. I can't see O2 / Orange / CPW etc liking that option very much. They would have to defend every case separately via the small claims procedure.

Also under UK law, you enter into a contract with the merchant of the credit card on which you made your purchase. They would also be jointly liable with the retailer for the defective device.

Worrying how?

From the viewpoint of an Android user.

You're using that A word again.

Can you please try and think about something else and keep this thread on topic?

;)

As an Apple user I think that Steve Jobs is in danger of killing the iphone - no doubt about it. In 12 months time the Android market will be an awful lot closer to the App store in terms of quality and quantity and then it will be purely down to what the handset can do.

The remote kill is anon starter - can just see the lawsuits flying in in the USA. Jobs would never risk it.

They will happily put stories out there to scare people away from jailbreaking though.

And yes, you are right that they are unlikely to start killing their customers phones, especially when the people they do block will probably just go to Android and never come back.

iPhone's already have a remote kill. If I let you connect to one of my calendars from an iphone or ipad, I can perform a factory reset on your device.

And yes, I have tested it.

Â