The iPhone Topic

mrchnry

TESCO is launching the cheapest iPhone deal the UK has seen in a huge challenge to Britain's mobile giants.

The supermarket giant is slashing the price of a monthly package to £20 a month on a one-year contract.

The must-have handset will go into 100 stores on Monday

Its move could trigger a full blown price war in the New Year — when VODAFONE is also due to begin selling the iPhone.

The handset is currently only available from O2 and ORANGE.

Tesco mobile chief executive Lance Batchelor said: "We're delighted to make iPhone available to our customers.

"It shows what a serious player in the mobile market we've become."

Brits have snapped up more than two million iPhones since it first hit the UK two years ago.

It was voted Britain's coolest brand earlier this summer.

Tesco last month outlined plans for a huge expansion in telecoms.

It wants to ring up nearly £2billion of annual sales through mobile, home phone and broadband deals.

Linky

TESCO is launching the cheapest iPhone deal the UK has seen in a huge challenge to Britain's mobile giants.

The supermarket giant is slashing the price of a monthly package to £20 a month on a one-year contract.

The must-have handset will go into 100 stores on Monday

Its move could trigger a full blown price war in the New Year — when VODAFONE is also due to begin selling the iPhone.

The handset is currently only available from O2 and ORANGE.

Tesco mobile chief executive Lance Batchelor said: "We're delighted to make iPhone available to our customers.

"It shows what a serious player in the mobile market we've become."

Brits have snapped up more than two million iPhones since it first hit the UK two years ago.

It was voted Britain's coolest brand earlier this summer.

Tesco last month outlined plans for a huge expansion in telecoms.

It wants to ring up nearly £2billion of annual sales through mobile, home phone and broadband deals.

Linky

I'm guessing you won't get the amount of minutes, texts and free internet that you get with O2?

I don't mean to be incendiary and I know that 99.9999% of people reading this will have already started drinking from the Apple fountain... but iPhones really aren't all that good anymore. Yeah they were great when they first came out but they've now been overtaken by Android phones. The original iPhone was not quite as good as the original T-Mobile G1 (HTC Dream), now the Hero is better than the 3GS and the new Android phones like the Droid and the Xperia X10 really leave the iPhone behind.

Each to their own but I would urge anyone thinking of getting an iPhone to at least look at what else is on offer.

I don't mean to be incendiary and I know that 99.9999% of people reading this will have already started drinking from the Apple fountain... but iPhones really aren't all that good anymore. Yeah they were great when they first came out but they've now been overtaken by Android phones. The original iPhone was not quite as good as the original T-Mobile G1 (HTC Dream), now the Hero is better than the 3GS and the new Android phones like the Droid and the Xperia X10 really leave the iPhone behind.

Each to their own but I would urge anyone thinking of getting an iPhone to at least look at what else is on offer.

I'm not drinking from the iPhone fountain, however the iPhone is still the best smart phone out there. The phones you have mentioned try to do what the iPhone does, yet don't do it as well. They haven't left the iPhone behind and no smart phone currently on the market is as good as the iPhone. Have you tried using an iPhone yourself or are you just Apple bashing, like so many people do for no reason?

I was looking in Stuff magazine just the other day and they still have the iPhone rated as the best smart phone. Now surely they know more about a good phone?

I just extended my contract after looking at everything else, including phones you mentioned above that friends have. Strangely they all want an Iphone and not the phones they do have.

I've found the opposite. About 50% of the peope I know with iPhones are getting Android next. That's not a throw away comment either, they like their iPhones but are slightly disappointed at various bits of it that Android does better.

I'm not drinking from the iPhone fountain, however the iPhone is still the best smart phone out there. The phones you have mentioned try to do what the iPhone does, yet don't do it as well. They haven't left the iPhone behind and no smart phone currently on the market is as good as the iPhone. Have you tried using an iPhone yourself or are you just Apple bashing, like so many people do for no reason?

I was looking in Stuff magazine just the other day and they still have the iPhone rated as the best smart phone. Now surely they know more about a good phone?

Odd that Stuff magazine found the iPhone the best smart phone when T3 has the HTC Hero as the Gadget of the Year 2009 and as Phone of the Year 2009 then as one of the top gadgets of the past 10 years:

http://www.t3.com/features-gallery.html?articleId=12697&pic=/images/TTT172.tenyears3.htchero.jpg&id=89

2009: HTC Hero

Winner of both Gadget of the Year and Phone of the Year at the 2009 T3 Awards, the HTC Hero is the best Android phone yet, and the only mobile to date that matches the iPhone in most respects - it even bests Apple's phone in certain areas. Google's open-source OS means it's a joy to use as a phone, messenger, media player, browser and app platform - there are 17,000 apps and counting at the Android Market - but the Hero also won plaudits for HTC's handset design. With its understatedly stylish looks, decent battery life and stunning multi-touch screen, it's a veritable cornucopia of techy delights. We can't wait to see what HTC does with Google's high-fl ying platform next.

The Droid wins Phone of the Year 2009 above the iPhone 3GS:

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1945379_1944278,00.html

Everybody likes Android, Google's open-source smartphone operating system. But a smartphone operating system isn't all that satisfying without an actual kick-ass smartphone wrapped around it. Now Android has one: The Droid is a hefty beast, a metal behemoth without the gloss and finish of the iPhone, but you don't miss it. The Droid's touchscreen is phenomenally sharp and vivid, it has an actual physical (not great, but good enough) keyboard, and best of all, the Droid is on Verizon's best-of-breed 3G network. It's Android's first credible challenge to the iPhone. Price: $300.

As I said above, each to their own but you're obviously going against popular media opinion that the iPhone is still the best smartphone.

Out of my study group, 14 have Iphones, 5 have Nokias, the Nokia people also want Iphones, the Iphone people guard it with their life.

Actually... I think there is a samsung in there too.

That's because Nokias are rubbish.

Â