Rugby Union: General Chat (inc 6 Nations)

chrissmith921

Who will win the 6 Nations?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the 6 Nations?

• England
    • France
    • Ireland
    • Italy
    • Scotland
    • Wales

Ahahaa.

England simply have no excuse for being piss poor, the player base they can pick from is 20 times bigger than everyone elses bar maybe France. In theory they should walk this Championship but alas they have to appoint a stubborn forward minded clearing in the woods as manager and hope for the best.

I fear they day they actually take the heads out of their arses and realise they can do so much better, but until then i shall have a good laugh.

Englands problem is under pressure they resort to how they're taught at a young age - set piece rugby...

We used to play against the RFU Schools all the time (Milfield etc) and they were all taught the same thing - set play after set play after set play - never encouraged to think for themselves.

Therefore, when struggling, they resort to robotic rugby rather than gambling on chances that sometimes pay off, and sometimes dont... But I see no difference in losing by 10 points than losing by 2 - so better to go for it than not...

Englands problem is under pressure they resort to how they're taught at a young age - set piece rugby...

We used to play against the RFU Schools all the time (Milfield etc) and they were all taught the same thing - set play after set play after set play - never encouraged to think for themselves.

Therefore, when struggling, they resort to robotic rugby rather than gambling on chances that sometimes pay off, and sometimes dont... But I see no difference in losing by 10 points than losing by 2 - so better to go for it than not...

Totally agree. We seem to have a bunch of players who are unable to think for themselves and play what's before them, as opposed to rigidly following the prescriptive directions of under-qualified coaches. Against Ireland, we seemed determined to try and run it, even though the conditions probably weren't suited to it on this occasion. I'm almost following English rugby just out of pride and stubborness now and feel slightly ashamed to be endorsing the back-slapping and utter shite that we play on a regular basis.

It seems to be drilled in from an early stage though, I dont think theres anything Johnson and co can do about it - which is kinda my point.

You'd spot the odd good player who would do things off-the-cuff when we played these schools but the majority were making calls off the back of 3rd/4th phase ball and eventually they'd run out of ideas. You can almost see the exact parallel with the national side now.

We had our set plays of course, everyone did, but the difference was (I believe...) we were encouraged to drop them should the opportunity arise, where-as the RFU schools would stick to them rigidly - perhaps that mentality has crept through at the top level now and you've got players who, while technically are very very good, are weak when it comes to broken play and having to make key decisions at key times... as you say, such as altering a game plan in accordance to the conditions.

Open in as much as all 5 teams will enjoy beating Scotland? It's not even started yet and I'm depressed :cry:

Sometimes it's nice to be able to predict the future. Sometimes, not so. :cry:

• 2 weeks later...

Sat 13th Mar 10 14:30 Ireland v Wales Croke Park

Sat 13th Mar 10 17:00 Scotland v England Murrayfield

Sun 14th Mar 10 14:30 France v Italy Stade de France

Wales, England, France.

Going to be two tight games and one cricket score this weekend I reckon.

Wales started much more sensibly, but the line out is still rubbish. Ireland looked a little edgy so far, but starting to get territory now...

Â