The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

7 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I gave him 3 rounds at most. The only flush punch Canelo landed was the uppercut in the second or third. 

Most definitely

20 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Too big for canelo. Complete mismatch. He is almost a cruiserweight.

Silly fight for canelo to take

I don't blame Canelo for taking the fight, he must have been supremely confident, I mean Bivol is decent but he's hardly Rocky fielding is he 🤣

Seriously though, Canelo carries the extra weight well and I didn't think it looked like a mismatch visually but the difference is that. Canelo has to bulk up (naturally of course) to make that weight whereas Bivol is fighting in his natural class. 

19 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

I don't blame Canelo for taking the fight, he must have been supremely confident, I mean Bivol is decent but he's hardly Rocky fielding is he 🤣

Seriously though, Canelo carries the extra weight well and I didn't think it looked like a mismatch visually but the difference is that. Canelo has to bulk up (naturally of course) to make that weight whereas Bivol is fighting in his natural class. 

I suppose it’s only half a stone which most of us normal people can put on on a night out with a curry or kebab finish. What is madness is him talking about going up to cruiser which I doubt he will do now. I also would not put it past him getting on the sauce for the rematch

Putting in half a stone through vegan food only, I'm not sure this would be the way to go. Canelo looked a bit slow and laboured, could it have affected him in this way, who knows, but no doubt the better fighter won.

4 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

watched the fight live then took myself back to bed, wide victory for Bivol and never as close as the judges scored it but even they couldn't blag that one.

Bivol looked great all the way through, I had a feeling that this would be the one that **** Canelo over, I loved the way that Bivol wouldn't be baited into deviating from his game plan, at one point when he landed 5 big shots on the ropes and Canelo waved him in so he could try and land a big counter, Bivol just stood there and looked at him, it takes real will power to not just go in for the kill after a flurry like that.

When they asked Bivol if Canelo hurt him and he replied "yes, my arm is very sore...but my head is fine" I think that pretty much sums up the fight.

Also worth noting that Canelo has turned vegan, could that have anything to do with why he looked so slow and gassed throughout? might wanna get yourself back on that diet of Mexican super cows my friend.

That whole "vegan" thing is probably just a defence mechanism to the cheating allegations. 

On 13/05/2022 at 09:49, Follyfoot said:

Looking forward to Charlo v Castano,  first fight was close (at least on 2 judges cards) should be a cracker 

Wow, what a dust up. Kind of a mini Hagler Hearns. Best fight of the year for me. Real shame one of them had to lose, Great line from Castano after the bout asking what was the difference between the first fight and his simple reply was he hit me this time🤣brilliant 

Charlo’s next opponent makes me feel an old man, seems like only five minutes ago his Dad was rated as pretty much top of the tree in in the pound for pound leagues (before that night in Manchester) 

Edited by Follyfoot

10 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Charlo’s next opponent makes me feel an old man

10 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

spacer.png

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Buatsi is so exciting to watch. This fight was perfect for this stage of his career. For me, Buatsi is the best British, light - heavyweight since Conteh.

Was a great fight. Far better than that mayweather borefest

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/61564111

Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez will face Gennady Golovkin in a trilogy fight in September rather than meet Dmitry Bivol in a rematch.

Mexican Alvarez, 31, will return to super-middleweight, where he is undisputed champion, after a shock defeat by Bivol at light-heavyweight.

Alvarez had the option of a rematch with Russian Bivol, but will honour his agreement with Kazakhstan's Golovkin.

"This is the biggest fight in boxing," said promoter Eddie Hearn. 

The fight will take place on 17 September but no venue has yet been announced.

"These are two men that bitterly dislike each other and want to end this incredible series with a blistering KO," Hearn added.

"I truly believe this will be the most thrilling fight between these two great champions and it will be fireworks from the first bell to the last man standing."

Alvarez beat Golovkin in their rematch in 2018 after a controversial draw in 2017, both of which were at middleweight.

Golovkin, who turned 40 in April, has won four successive fights since losing to Alvarez, reclaiming the IBF and WBA (Super) middleweight titles along the way.

Before his defeat by Bivol on 7 May - only the second loss of his career - Alvarez had agreed to face Golovkin on 17 September.

"Unfortunately, we lost, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to try again. The important thing here is perseverance and we're going to do it again," said Alvarez.

"I think those are the two biggest fights in boxing, the fight with Golovkin and the rematch with Bivol."

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

God not again. A fight im not interested in. Of course he wont fight bivol again its a complete mismatch simply on size

Its like bivol fighting fury

"I'll take the 40yr old, please". 

Normal service has been resumed. 

Â