The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Just looking at Gavin you can tell he's a bluenose.

Yeah he's thick as shit.

But seriously watching his interview, I don't think he's convinced himself he can win.

Gavin is not without skill, he had a very good amateur career and can box. But there's a few things to bare in mind:

(1) He's too small for welterweight, he has been campaigning as a junior welterweight and wasn't even big at that weight

(2) He has no power, he won't be able to put a dent in Brook

(3) I can say as a matter of fact that has hardly adopted the lifestyle of a monk outside of the ring at various points in his career, so his conditioning isn't great. 

Basically, Brook, as soon as he realises he can take Gavin's punch, will walk Gavin down and knock Gavin out. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Gavin is not without skill, he had a very good amateur career and can box. But there's a few things to bare in mind:

(1) He's too small for welterweight, he has been campaigning as a junior welterweight and wasn't even big at that weight

(3) I can say as a matter of fact that has hardly adopted the lifestyle of a monk outside of the ring at various points in his career, so his conditioning isn't great.

Basically, Brook, as soon as he realises he can take Gavin's punch, will walk Gavin down and knock Gavin out.

Hearn knows this very well, another easy mismatch to pad Brooks record

Hearn knows this very well, another easy mismatch to pad Brooks record

I agree, however in fairness to Brook he is chasing Khan hard, which would mean something would have to give, as both in my humble opinion claim to be better than they are (which boxer doesn't) and lets face it, it would be fun to see one of them knocked out, which on another note is a real shame Fury v Haye never happened

I think Brook has the more authoritative jab and the superior timing, Brook is a very good boxer himself, and whereas when Khan's on his game I'd say Khan is the better 'boxer', Brook is no slouch. It would be a close fight on a boxing level, very tactical, with Brook's power most likely making the difference. As soon as Khan is hurt his boxing goes out the window and Brook will hurt him.

Fairly comfortable for Khan but he looked sloppy. Comfortable win against a fighter he was expected to beat comfortably, but it wasn't hugely impressive. Maybe he decided to look below par to tempt Floyd into taking a fight next year. :lol:

Khan wasn't very impressive at all. Algieri, if he had any sort of power, would have caused a lot more trouble with the shots he was landing. A card of 116-112 is about fair, Algieri who isn't an offensive fighter caused problems on the front foot but ultimately was out worked and out landed. 

It was funny to see Khan rocked in round 1 by a guy who wouldn't crack an egg, after that Khan was pretty much on his bicycle.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Nice to see paulie malignaggi on commentary, he's absolutely excellent, let's hope Jim Watt isn't going to be involved.

Bullshit stoppage in the Ryder fight, I hate British referees. Howard Foster is a word removed.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Â