The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

So much for Kirkland having some success against Canelo, he took one hell of a beating and was on the receiving end of one of the knockouts of the year so far, great performance by Canelo.

Didnt manage to stay up, sounds like Canelo is back to his best.

What next for him now?

Wow brutal i don't get why he just stands there on the ropes taking it though surely he can move sideways and get out of that situation surely

Edited by AshVilla

So much for Kirkland having some success against Canelo, he took one hell of a beating and was on the receiving end of one of the knockouts of the year so far, great performance by Canelo.

What next for him now?

De La Hoya is talking up a fight with Golovkin for the 'not too distant future', so I guess that's potentially on the cards, incidentally I think GGG destroys him but it'll be a fun fight. 

Other than that, well, assuming Cotto gets past Daniel Geale, I think there's a distinct possibility they both fight in September, that fight fell through due to Cotto's diva like behaviour, otherwise it would have happened this month. 

For me Canelo has outgrown junior middleweight, so he'll inevitably move up to middleweight, outside of Demitrius Andrade (a very dangerous fight for anyone), there's nothing at 154lbs for him anymore. 

Again, assuming Cotto beats Geale, and I don't think that's a straightforward win for him (although the catchweight will weaken Geale), I think Canelo has a great chance to win that fight, in so doing, he'll pick up the WBC and ring magazine middleweight titles, and that will then prime him for a massive unification fight with Golovkin.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

What next for him now?

De La Hoya is talking up a fight with Golovkin for the 'not too distant future', so I guess that's potentially on the cards, incidentally I think GGG destroys him but it'll be a fun fight.

Other than that, well, assuming Cotto gets past Daniel Geale, I think there's a distinct possibility they both fight in September, that fight fell through due to Cotto's diva like behaviour, otherwise it would have happened this month.

For me Canelo has outgrown junior middleweight, so he'll inevitably move up to middleweight, outside of Demitrius Andrade (a very dangerous fight for anyone), there's nothing at 154lbs for him anymore.

Again, assuming Cotto beats Geale, and I don't think that's a straightforward win for him (although the catchweight will weaken Geale), I think Canelo has a great chance to win that fight, in so doing, he'll pick up the WBC and ring magazine middleweight titles, and that will then prime him for a massive unification fight with Golovkin.

I think Cotto beats Canelo, but neither beat GGG. There is talk of Cotto v Mayweather for September

Burns is washed up, I've been saying it for a good while now, he just has no power at all.

Canelo did all that could be asked of him, what a KO though, the second knock down was great as well, the way he leaned away from the left and the hammered that uppercut home was great, it was a pretty straight forward victory for him but Kirkland hasn't fought in so long I don't think anyother result could have been expected.

Canello v Cotto will be the next fight, GGG would be a great scrap and the style would suit Canelo a hell of a lot more than Floyd's, GGG wins it everytime but I think Alvarez would make a good fight of it

Just saw that Andre Ward is back on June 20th.

Quite a break he's had.

He has been in a massive legal wrangle with his promotors which is why he has been out of action for so long. Ridiculous how long he has been out really

He's been a clearing in the woods, and refused to fight under Goosen Tutor since the fight with Rodriguez, he's turned down multiple opponents, and has been an all round diva. I guess he has  gotten what he wanted in the end. In his mind he's a big star, in reality he's not a draw at all, a great boxer yes, but not a draw to a wider audience, let's see if ROC Nation can market him better and get him in more compelling fights.

He's certainly one of the best pound for pound, and really IMO the only one who beats Golovkin - Canelo and Cotto have no chance. But at the end of the day, he really belongs in the light-heavyweight division, so he ought to be moving up there after say, a fight with Golovkin (GGG has said he's willing to fight at 168lbs for Ward). The super middleweight division is pretty weak, although a fight with DeGale would IMO by a compelling chessmatch, the bigger fights, outside of Golovkin are at 175lbs, especially now the Chavez Jr cash cow has been slaughtered. 

Problem with ward is that whilst he beats GGG he doesn't actually beat him up does he, hence why he isn't a big draw, I'd personally prefer to see Canelo and GGG purely because it'd be more entertaining

Well GGG was back in the ring last night, Monroe Jr actually had quite a bit of success against him, he just couldn't live with him in the end though.

I like GGG though there is nothing flash about his persona, he comes into the ring beats people up and that's about it no gimmicks with him.

I liked it when max kellerman told him that Canelo would fight him in the future and GGG said he wanted to fight him now.

A good performance but nor the best I've seen him

Well GGG was back in the ring last night, Monroe Jr actually had quite a bit of success against him, he just couldn't live with him in the end though.

I like GGG though there is nothing flash about his persona, he comes into the ring beats people up and that's about it no gimmicks with him.

I liked it when max kellerman told him that Canelo would fight him in the future and GGG said he wanted to fight him now.

A good performance but nor the best I've seen him

Canelo will avoid him like the plague imo

Sounded like GGG is going all out to get Cotto in the ring, I'd like to see alvarez fight him though, I reckon that would be a great fight until GGG ko's canelo

Edited by leemond2008

Last night was really about the showcase of Roman Gonzalez (on the co-feature to the GGG fight). Gonzalez is a top 5 pound for pound talent with one of the very best skill sets in the entire sport of boxing. Sosa, who's no bum, was utterly destroyed. Gonzalez is just so smooth, he effortlessly lets his hands go with incredible accuracy and his footwork is second to none. Also, what the commentators failed to pick up on is his mastery of distance. He knows exactly how to step in and out of range - defensively, he's brilliant, Sosa barely landed because Gonzalez would step out to make him miss, and when on the inside he was parrying most of the punches and landing his own.

If you didn't watch the fight you absolutely must, this is guy is amazing. 

As far as the GGG fight, well, I think he had no respect for Monroe's power so was prepared to let him land in order to find some openings. What I would say is that Monroe made a very good tactical decision to hold centre of the ring. Monroe, in the first two rounds, came out doing his usual, popping the jab and getting on his bicycle, he's a boxer-mover who has lots of lateral movement and a real athletic quality to his footwork. But that didn't work, Golovkin cut the ring off, drove him to the ropes and corners and beat the shit out of him.

Monroe's tactical adjustment, after round 2, to hold centre of the ring and counter, actually worked reasonably well for a little bit. He was able to smother GGG's work and counter with decent effect. Look, GGG is an A+ boxer on the front foot but in the centre of the ring, he's no where near as effective. 

For me, this underscores why Ward will beat him if they fight. Ward is extremely strong physically, he'll be moving GGG toward the centre. He's also a master at smothering his opponent whilst getting his own work off on the inside. He's also great at just neutralising you in the clinch. That, on top of his highly authoritative jab will spell a very tough night for GGG. GGG will always have a punchers chance, but you know, Ward is just very smart, so it will take something special to land enough on him to stop him. 

Canelo and Cotto on the other hand won't make it out of round 9, I expect to see both get splattered across the ring if they ever step in with him. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

I'll be surprised if Froch v GGG comes off, I don't think Froch has much stomach left for a fight now, he wanted a nice night out and decent payday against chavez Jr but he hasn't fought now in over 12 months and I'm not convinced he will be desperate to take a fight against someone like GGG.

Badou jack and groves will be interesting, Jack didn't look like he had all that much banging power when he fought Dirrell a few weeks back whereas Groves can throw a decent punch. Not a bad fight for Groves to get his name back in the mix

Â