PL: Wigan a Travel & Social

bannedfromHandV

Wigan Game ON

Wigan Athletic have confirmed that Saturday's Barclays Premier League match against Aston Villa at the DW Stadium will take place as scheduled.

Despite a perfect playing surface, there had been concerns for the safety of fans following the adverse weather conditions.

But after an inspection of the stadium and surrounding areas, stadium officials have deemed the conditions safe for those attending.

Wigan do advise supporters to arrive early on the day to ensure safe entry to the stadium, and having done everything in their power to make sure the game takes place would like to announce the following safety notices ahead of Saturday:

Coaches cannot access Car Park 1 (visitors car/coach parking area) due to the surface conditions, which is ok for cars and mini buses.

Coach drivers should enter Stadium Way as normal and continue towards the stadium.

Just prior to the stadium, passengers will alight within 100 yards of the Visitors Stand.

At 3.30pm the coaches will be required to drive around the Stadium under police/steward supervision and will then be re-parked in Stadium Way facing the correct way for their departure.

At the end of Stadium Way (after the game) coach drivers should turn RIGHT ONLY and follow the motorway direction signs - should they not heed this advice they do risk considerable problems.

Wigan Football Secretary Stuart Hayton said: "The Stadium Manager and his team have worked tirelessly to get the surroundings in a fit state for Saturday and I really can't stress enough how committed they have been to their task.

"Only freak weather between now and Saturday can prevent this game from going ahead and that is a tribute to how hard they have all worked."

OS

just booked a cheap coach (megabus) but leaves shudehill, manchester at 1750, does anyone in the know think i'll make it. is wigan wallgate the best bet for the quickest back to manchester after the game, otherwise the next bus is 2000.

Might have to leave a little early so you don't get stuck in the queue from the trains, however Shudehill isn't too far from Piccadilly.

thanks milfner, do the trains from wigan come into piccadilly then, not victoria. i'm trying to do it on the cheap. megabus cost £8 return from brum

Hmm, not sure on that one, I'd say they are at least every 30 mins. Its platform 14 though, its at the far end of the station and I'm pretty sure that Wigan is on the line to Southport, but they'll tell you that when you get your tickets.

thanks milfner, do the trains from wigan come into piccadilly then, not victoria. i'm trying to do it on the cheap. megabus cost £8 return from brum

Hmm, not sure on that one, I'd say they are at least every 30 mins. Its platform 14 though, its at the far end of the station and I'm pretty sure that Wigan is on the line to Southport, but they'll tell you that when you get your tickets.

50/50 split from Wallgate to Picc or Vic. To make 1750 coach, you'd need to be on 1653 from Wallgate to Picc, arr 1735.

how far is the redrobin pub from ground then?

Its only a few minutes walk away mate - Red Robin will be full of villa singing as usual especially as there's buggar all to do around in wigan, the weather will ensure that fans get up early and...villa fans love the piss! :lol:

Today the trains up there are in a mess,due to signal problems lets hope it sorted.im at work till 11 and booked on the 12.20

Right, now the game is on. Anyone got any idea how bad the delays are with the trains?

Those of you who are coming up.

Bring plenty of warm clothing, the forecast for tomorrow is much as today and when I went down to the Town this morning it was still minus 2 at 10.30 and there are plenty of icy pavements.

Otherwise, have fun guys

Those of you who are coming up.

Bring plenty of warm clothing, the forecast for tomorrow is much as today and when I went down to the Town this morning it was still minus 2 at 10.30 and there are plenty of icy pavements.

Otherwise, have fun guys

that sounds like something my mother would of said to me when i was younger. Thanks for the advice though, im ready for it though, i dont live too far away either