• A Young
    • Milner
    • Petrov
    • Reo-Coker
    • Carew
    • Agbonlahor
    • Sidwell
    • Heskey

Excuse my briefness because i'm posting from my phone. First of all petrov was easily the best of our central midfielders. Reo coker, aka the messiah, contributed very little in my opinion and sidwell even less. Infact you could see a clear deterioration in our play when sidwell came on and the first disallowed goal came within minutes of the sub with their actual goal following soon after. Beye did a good job off the ball but we, more specifically ashley, missed warnock a lot. Our best performers were the defense, specifically carlos, and maybe gabby. Special mention to heskey who made an immediate impact after coming on. Personally i'd look to reverting to 451 but failing that i'd consider starting emile against hull. It wasn't the game to bring downing on but i personally felt that when we went to 451 we should have kept gabby upfront and taken carew off. Positives come from our organisation and defensive display but i think we should learn from the footballing lesson that we were taught today.

First of all petrov was easily the best of our central midfielders. Reo coker, aka the messiah, contributed very little in my opinion and sidwell even less

Agreed, petrov was making more tackles and interceptions and i've rarely seen a player not want the ball as much as NRC. Everytime someone was around him with the ball he was pointing and indicating for them to pass it to someone else. Saying that though he was still better than sidwell who was once again rubbish.

First of all petrov was easily the best of our central midfielders. Reo coker, aka the messiah, contributed very little in my opinion and sidwell even less

Agreed, petrov was making more tackles and interceptions and i've rarely seen a player not want the ball as much as NRC. Everytime someone was around him with the ball he was pointing and indicating for them to pass it to someone else. Saying that though he was still better than sidwell who was once again rubbish.

Yeah i think nrc did just about enough to warrant keeping his place next week, although this was more sidwell's doing than his. I do worry that his substitution may signal that oneill feels differently about the matter however.

First of all petrov was easily the best of our central midfielders.

Absolutely, was saying it through the game and all the fans around me in holte were agreeing 100%. He put in some great efforts, breaking up attacks and pushing some forward. HE made one mistake in one of his passes that was a bit dangerous but nothing compared to what he did right.

Whilst the rest of the team sat back watching the ball, he was the only one to make a forward lunge and try to put in a tackle. Did brilliantly on 7 mins to break up a spurs attack, put himself infront of the ball and ended up on the floor after clearing it. I feel that attack woudl have been a goal for spuds.

Cuellar was awesome, simply awesome yesterday. Others of note were beye and Gabby, felt sorry for Gabby at times as he was always having to try to get back in defence where defoe and croach had all the options to stay up front no problem.

Yeah i think nrc did just about enough to warrant keeping his place next week, although this was more sidwell's doing than his. I do worry that his substitution may signal that oneill feels differently about the matter however.

I think he was subbed due to injury.

Spurs didn't deserve to win... they would of deserved to win if they didn't squander all the chances they had. Good teams put away their chances - Spurs didn't - we did.

Also for all the time they had the ball and all the space they found in midield they didn't create clear cut chances, they were restricted to long shots and crossing in for crouch.

Ok folks last post from me on the site and i'm sure most of you will be glad.

Was at the game yesterday, contrary to some opinions on here that i don't watch players that i comment on. Our defence was terrific, with Cuellar having his best game to date in a villa shirt. Maybe there is a player in there after all?

However, from midfield to our forward line we were again poor, although Gabby did work hard from the so called service from our midfield. Particularly in the second half, i watched a team playing the type of football that i have been banging on about here for over a year, free flowing football, skill and guile with players comfortable on the ball. It saddened me greatly that it was the opposition playing this way and not us.

We are indeed light years away from playing the type of football that Spurs played in the second half and i nearly applauded a couple of times, forcing my hands to stay locked in my pockets! The reason for our poor performances for over a year now is simple. We have grafters in midfield, instead of creative quality and neither Milner, or Young are good enough as out and out wingers to carry the creative aspect of our team. For me Young should be removed from the left and played in behind the strikers. Milner should be dropped and replaced by Albrighton, to see if he can give us more of a creative spark?

Our central midfield is a complete joke compared to teams like Spurs and Redknapp should be applauded for his team's style of football rather than ridiculed on this site! I simply wish that we had a manager who has the same foresight as Redknapp to build his teams around skill and technical ability, rather than effort!

We will not win anything with O'Neill in charge. Yes he has improved us, but then again, he has been given the finances to do so and rarely got it right. 4 years and many millions later he has finally built a defence in truth by luck, as Distin was his first choice, but he chose Everton instead!

I will continue to go and see Villa play, reserve games as well, as i am Villa through and through and ache for the time when we will have players who will get people up off their seats in awe of the football our team is playing. Can any of us really say that that has happened consistantly since O'Neill has been in charge?

People on here will continue to make excuses for some of O'Neill's purchases as well as his team selections and indeed tactics. I however, have always called it as i have seen it and i believe O'Neill has taken us as far as he can. Someone like Hiddink would be the next step for me. Hs name alone would attract the better player and he would promote better technical football at Villa Park for the fans, who bloody well deserve it, after having to put up with the drivel of O'Neill's teams!

I wish everyone the best of luck on the site, even one VT who has felt it necessary to call me a liar, which i have never been!

its my ball and i'm taking it home...

why did you wait until your last ever post on here to write something worth reading?

i hope you come back someday because its good to argue about views on football - we're blokes (mostly) and thats what we do...

Spurs didn't deserve to win... they would of deserved to win if they didn't squander all the chances they had. Good teams put away their chances - Spurs didn't - we did.

Our defence is just way better than Wigan's and that's what prevented the avalanche of goals.

I think the second half was as one sided traffic as how they played Wigan.

well we sure as f*ck didnt deserve to win seeing as we had one attempt on goal over the 90 minutes and that was shinned over the line from 6 inches out via the post and two defenders. we had about 10 corners in the first half and the one we scored from ws the only one that young didnt put inch perfect on crouch's head. if football were boxing we would have lost by a unanimous points decision based on possession, passes completed, efforts on goal etc.

Sting - sorry, but how very pompous of you. You are just another punter on just another website - most of what you write (or me, or anyone else) is barely read by anyone else and, if it is, is quickly forgotten. Don't take yourself so seriously. I rarely write on here myself anymore but I do vaguely recall something recently where you appeared to be writing for effect / to wind people up - if you dish it out then expect to take it back and get over it.

Most of what you wrote in your 'Last Post' makes some sense. However as I wrote earlier today (and no-one has responded, how dare they ignore me, I'm off!) I don't believe the solutions regarding changing our playing style are that far out of our grasp - MON may not be a tactical genius, and longer term we may need to make a change, but destabilising the team right now by getting rid would be non-sensical. In a league where Man City and Spurs have, for different reasons, somewhat stolen our thunder in terms of challenging the status quo, I would be very surprised if we don't finish top 7 - anything else will be a bonus and we need to be realistic. More attractive football? - I agree. But wringing of hands and overeactions to our current pretty healthy position - definitely not

well we sure as f*ck didnt deserve to win seeing as we had one attempt on goal over the 90 minutes and that was shinned over the line from 6 inches out via the post and two defenders. we had about 10 corners in the first half and the one we scored from ws the only one that young didnt put inch perfect on crouch's head. if football were boxing we would have lost by a unanimous points decision based on possession, passes completed, efforts on goal etc.

The defender used his arm to push it of the line, Gabby should have just stood there and appealed, the lad would/should have been sent off! We lacked forward options when on the break, if we had some on form strikers the game would have been high scoring as Spurs defended so far up the pitch. The goal spurs scored should have been disallowed and thats a fact, just watch him dip his arm into it. Football is based on goals not fancy passes in your own half.

Thought Foy was their best player, took Carew out of the game

i thought Carew won every header today ? sadly there wasn't anybody behind him each time but that is nothing new

If i was a Spurs fan I'd be disappointed with 1 point yesterday

As a Villa fan i'm disappointed at the way Spurs were allowed to boss play for almost an hour

They seem on the evidence of yesterday better placed than we are to takes Liverpool's spot , yet nobody really stood out for them

I thought Petrov looked the best midfielder on the pitch .. but clearly the spot alongside him needs some work .. be interesting to see how Downing fits into the equation over the coming weeks ...

MOM Cuellar

The defender used his arm to push it of the line, Gabby should have just stood there and appealed, the lad would/should have been sent off! We lacked forward options when on the break, if we had some on form strikers the game would have been high scoring as Spurs defended so far up the pitch. The goal spurs scored should have been disallowed and thats a fact, just watch him dip his arm into it. Football is based on goals not fancy passes in your own half.

oh is it? sorry i didnt realise that - i'm new to the game - i have only been watching it for the last 35 years. in that case i totally agree, lets lull the opposition into a false sense of security by playing absoloutly w*nk for 80 minutes of the game and then try and nick a jammy goal or blame the ref for not gifting us a winner or giving a 50/50 decision to the other team once in a while.

the spurs goal WAS GIVEN AND THAT IS A FACT. i'm afraid that "it should have been disallowed" is actually an opinion - your opinion. my opinion is that it wasnt handball and therefore was a ligitimate goal. my opinion is also that we were lucky to get anything from the match and that spurs were the better team. spurs didnt make many fancy passes in their own half from what i saw. the second half was played almost exclusively in our half, with them in possession which means that despite the fact we were at home against a team considered our equal we were actually camped in our own box defending with our backs to the wall for half of the game.

our first effort on goal was after 10 minutes when gabby scored.

our second was in the 92nd minute. sidwell did miscue one horribly in between but i'd sooner call that a misplaced pass as it was so embarassing.

pass my the paste please, i've just spotted another crack that needs papering over...

oh is it? sorry i didnt realise that - i'm new to the game - i have only been watching it for the last 35 years. in that case i totally agree, lets lull the opposition into a false sense of security by playing absoloutly w*nk for 80 minutes of the game and then try and nick a jammy goal or blame the ref for not gifting us a winner or giving a 50/50 decision to the other team once in a while.

the spurs goal WAS GIVEN AND THAT IS A FACT. i'm afraid that "it should have been disallowed" is actually an opinion - your opinion. my opinion is that it wasnt handball and therefore was a ligitimate goal. my opinion is also that we were lucky to get anything from the match and that spurs were the better team. spurs didnt make many fancy passes in their own half from what i saw. the second half was played almost exclusively in our half, with them in possession which means that despite the fact we were at home against a team considered our equal we were actually camped in our own box defending with our backs to the wall for half of the game.

our second was in the 92nd minute. sidwell did miscue one horribly in between but i'd sooner call that a misplaced pass as it was so embarassing.

pass my the paste please, i've just spotted another crack that needs papering over...

They are not considered our equal, they are our equal, after all their goal was given and the final score was 1-1, despite opinions on how bad we played.

For me last night's match summed up everything that is good and negative about us at the same time.

Friedel had a very strong game in goal. He is so consistent with all the half chances/minor scares in our area and rarely makes a big error. On the other hand for me he doesn't save any of those really good efforts that the opposition have. I know that may sound a weak argument but Friedel doesnt make enough great saves over a season, he will always be an 8/10 keeper and no more. Hopefully Guzan will be able to go even better.

Beye had a very decent game but we looked a bit imbalanced without Young right and Warnock left. But on the whole we look very good at the back with a lot of good options so we cant really complain here like we could in years gone by.

Milner is probably our top player just at the moment, but again I would put him into a similar category as Friedel, as a very good player in his position, but just lacking that extra bit of wow factor to make him a truly great player.

Petrov is doing a good dependable job in there but has a few weaknesses to his game such as carrying the ball, speed and goal threat that limit him overall.

Reo-Coker I've always felt is an excellent player on his day, but we just don't see that cutting edge to his game often enough. For every really good performance he puts in, we see 7-8 really average ones like last night.

Ashley Young I'm not sure what to say at the moment. Over the past 2 seasons you'd probably have said he's our one truly top player. This season nothing seems to be happening for him. He's somehow lost a bit of swagger going past players, and his final ball this year has been 6-7/10 at best. He really needs to prove his worth between now and May to get to South Africa, and also to turn some of these draws into much needed wins for Villa. Very average so far this year.

Up front I'm reasonably happy with how both Gabby and Carew are playing at the moment, and Heskey seems to be in a bit of form to make him a decent option off the bench. As well as they can play all 3 have big limitations, we are lacking that all rounder type of forward who can do a bit of everything, but most importantly hit the back of the net week after week.

I hope that Downing can step up to the mark soon, but I think a creative central player and a striker should be key acquisitions to aim for in Jan.

As a team we seem to do well and put a battling shift in every week. But we aren't good enough at keeping the ball, and creating a good deal of chances in all games. Which in my view separates us from Liverpool and Spurs at the moment.

Yes we will have a few games like the Bolton one where teams play into our hands by getting caught too high up the pitch, and not coping with our set pieces, but any team that has a degree of organisation at the moment - Burnley, West Ham, Blackburn, Spurs, even Wolves, have coped with us fine.

A lot to do to stay up there in my opinion, we look a top 8 or 9 side at present.

They are not considered our equal, they are our equal, after all their goal was given and the final score was 1-1, despite opinions on how bad we played.

if we are their eqaul because we drew with them then hull are as good as man city, the blues are as good as liverpool and we must be better than chelsea.

i would say that the league table is a better indicator than the result of one game and right now we are three points and three places behind spurs. after a third of the season, that would translate to a gap of 9 points come may - and if we are that close to them i would be surprised after yesterdays showing.

its pointless arguing with your logic as far as i can see because you just dont want to accept - or genuinely fail to see - that in footballing terms we were nowwhere near them yesterday. if you want to judge everything by the scoreline then fine, keep your head buried in the sand, but as was the case last season, when the lucky points run out we risk going into freefall again.

Absolutely disgusted with the way we just sat back and tried to defend a 1-0 lead, we were at home ffs! Inviting that much pressure is just asking for trouble, it was always a case of when, not if. We have no chance of being a top 4 side untill we get a winners mentality.

I had typed out quite a long post, but decided to keep it short and sweet. I'm not happy with the way we are playing and I give Spurs alot of credit for their performance yesterday. They're in better form than us at the moment and attractive football. It's frustrating. And although I know many people are just venting their frustrations, I think it is too early to get carried away with the negatives of our season so far.

So a few positives:

* We're playing badly by our own standards and what we know this team are capable of, but not losing many games.

* We're stilling contention for the 'top 4'.

* Downing and Delph could both come into the side and make an impact (Maybe even Albrighton and Delfouneso too).

* Squad depth is good

* There is plenty of the season left to play and we have an opportunity to turn our bad form around.

My final point is that because the squad depth is good, I'm hoping than MON will be looking to sign more quality first teamers in January, rather than stop gaps and squad fillers. Although at the moment, I don't think we'll sign anyone and anyone we do sign will be a bonus.