• A Young
    • Milner
    • Petrov
    • Reo-Coker
    • Carew
    • Agbonlahor
    • Sidwell
    • Heskey

Very impressive defensive performance though. Cuellar and Young excellent. Petrov tidy in periods, Milner stood out for the sheer running he did. Sidwell did nothing except that potshot, very frustrating with Delph, Downing and Gardner all on the bench.

First half we bossed the game could have been two up. Gabby n Cerew putting everything in to it. We deserved the goal lead.

Second half was another story we gave them too much of the ball, Crouch won EVERYTHING in the air without a challenge.

For the whole game we never looked like conceding but it always looked like we gave them too much possession.

Havnt seen the goal but it looked like a handball from where i was sitting,

What pissed me off is our lack of attack. We had 4!!! attacking players on the pitch and we looked clueless as always. We ran out of ideas in the last third.

I cannot wait for Downing because we are crying out for a barry/creative replacement.

But as a brummie in london i'll take the ppoint

UTV!!

Enjoyed seeing a new formation today, having experimented with 4.5.1 and the like I thought 10.0.0. was an interesting one and could have worked if only some of Gabby's defensive work could have resulted in Gabby knocking it forward to, er, oh I can see the floor in the plan now.

Went to the game with a Spurs supporting mate - think he must have enjoyed it because we were absolutely battered second half. Cuellar was incredible, Petrov showed some nice touches, but we don't seem to be able to play the ball through the middle. We only seem capable of playing down the flanks. Huddlestone on the other hand showed a great range of passing and real confidence on the bal - we need a player like that.

Second half was appalling for us and if Duune and Cuellar hadn't been quite so good, my fingernails would be even shorter than they are now. At the beginning of the game, I thought it was going to be one of those where Carew has a good one and A Young looked good too., They were completely out of it second half. Carew loked knackered and the game was crying out for Heskey about 15 minutes before he came on. I haven't been too impressed since he came to Villa, but today all his experience showed and the last 10 minutes we at least seemed to be able to compete, a massive contrast from what had gone on before. Very good camoe from Heskey. He was unlucky not to score from a great effort at the end, but that really would have been floodlit robbery.

I think we badly missed Warnock today. The two Youngs are very good players, and Luke generally kept Lennon quiet, but when a lot of our attacking play comes down the left, it's a real shame when we have two right sided players who both check back inside when they have the ball. It means the whole attack loses momentum, not a great thing for a team geared towards a quick counter attack.

Funny game though - even though we were incredibly lucky not to lose, I can't think of a player who really had a 'mare, apart from possibly Gabby, who looked under par. Then again, he did score...

Funny game though - even though we were incredibly lucky not to lose, I can't think of a player who really had a 'mare, apart from possibly Gabby, who looked under par. Then again, he did score...

I disagree on the point on Gabby who actually held the ball up well and also be honest, look what he's feeding off, how many opportunities does he get, I mean he's feeding off absolutely nothing all season and still has managed 7 league goals.

But like you said, I didn't think anyone really had a dissapointing game. I thought players got tired which isn't as such there fault which resulted in us being dominated, so I don't think the players had a bad game, I just thought there should of been subs quicker than there was. I think Ashley Young has lost his confidence big time, In the 07-08 season he ran and ran at defenders at pace. If you look at him now, there were times he picked the ball up in space on the left and sorta stopped and jinked either way before crossing, it's as if he's scared to take the ball and run at someone with pace like he used too. He keeps stopping which makes him easier to defend.

Well ....

Typical Villa at the moment if I may say so: score from a set piece (a scrappy goal in this case), then sit back, defend well, well-organised and hope to hit on the counter ... it ain't pretty, but it's often effective.

It doesn't matter if it trundles over the line from 4 inches out or busts the net from 40 yards out at 100mph, it still counts as a goal.

Olaf Cuellar and Carlos Mellberg were both amazing.

It's great to see a bit of quality competition for the centre half positions. It's not so great to see the lack of quality competition for the centre mid positions. Really disappointing performance, we were dominated and we were lucky to scrape that point.

I disagree on the point on Gabby who actually held the ball up well and also be honest, look what he's feeding off, how many opportunities does he get, I mean he's feeding off absolutely nothing all season and still has managed 7 league goals.

But like you said, I didn't think anyone really had a dissapointing game. I thought players got tired which isn't as such there fault which resulted in us being dominated, so I don't think the players had a bad game, I just thought there should of been subs quicker than there was. I think Ashley Young has lost his confidence big time, In the 07-08 season he ran and ran at defenders at pace. If you look at him now, there were times he picked the ball up in space on the left and sorta stopped and jinked either way before crossing, it's as if he's scared to take the ball and run at someone with pace like he used too. He keeps stopping which makes him easier to defend.

There was that funny period in the second half where Young/Milner seemed to be playing up front and Gabby was on the wing - did him no favours. I couldn't understand it at all Maybe implying he had a mare was a bit strong - I'm usually very quick to defend him, but he wasn't great today, partly because he was isolated a lot of the time, but he also seemed a little off the pace at times.

kurtsimonw wrote:

... They scored a goal which struck the arm of a player, therefore should not have stood. ...

Except it didn't strike his arm, as the replays show clearly.

Dawson goal

I have looked at the replays several times. On first viewing it looked like he controlled it with his arm (at 0:34 and 1:19) and I say that without my claret and blue glasses on. It looks different from different angles, so I dispute your use of the word "clearly".

Anyway, it's all academic now and you definitely deserved your point from the game.

Does handball have to be deliberate? If so, it wasn't handball. If not, it was. But I'm not clear on the rule to be honest.

Yeah the rules don't help. It shouldn't be difficult really. Handball is handball. Whether deliberate or not, does it really matter? If somebody is 1 yard out and smashes it against somebodys arm on the line and he could "do nothing about it", as they say, who gives a shit? It's handball, intentional or not. It's as ridiculous as saying free kicks are only given if there was intent to foul the player. The only time I'd let a handball go is if the body is behind the hand.

I think there are some overly negative reactions on here.

Our attacking players are in awful form at the moment, especially Ashley Young, as many have said. IMO, though, Milner is another one who is not at his best. To me he's a talented, creative player with added goal threat, not just a workhorse. The workhorse was all we saw today.

We already knew that our CM isn't amazing. Sadly with AY and JM not playing well, we are useless in the final third.

But: Downing is coming back, and he looks like is still very much has what it takes to bring us up a notch. If the others can start playing as well as they can, we will be a very very potent side.

Our defense is easily good enough for top 4. And so is our attack, when on form.

And Cuellar: What a game. He is playing with a glint in his eye these days. It's like you can see him thinking "This Premier League thing isn't so hard after all". I hope the Spanish coach gets to watch the match.

All these 'missed opportunities' are wearing a bit thin with me. I'm fed up of us not turning up when it matters. We got the early goal, they looked rattled, we should have gone on and kept at them. Once again, we sit back ,look to hit them on the break, and piss away the game.

Have to agree on that, 100 %.

We did play a hell of a match i defense, but at best defense is only 50 % of the game. Sad to say, but the way we played I'm happy to get away with at least 1 point.

MOTM: Cuellar.

Positive surprise: Emile Heskey. Made a notable difference, could easily have had a goal on that skillful backwards header near the end.

This was the result I expected and am content with. Villa are simply not a top 4 side without a creative midfielder who dominates, and a top class striker who scores for fun.

Without January improvements, this side is gonna achieve nothing.

Sad but true, IMO.

Pleased with a point after a resolute defensive performance from our back 10! As some have said on here though its not all about attacking and we defended very well.

Don't agree with people regarding our CM. We have Petrov, Reo Coker, Sidwell, Downing, Delph Gardner. The only players i don't rate are Gardner and Sidwell. I thin we lack a goalscoring midfielder with a engine for which Sidwell was bought for imo. But you can't play everyone and with our wide men we need players that can defend and attack in CM.

At the end of the day if you sit back for 45 mins at sometime they will score. Even though the cross for the goal came from a player that should of been sent off for handball and the goal scored was also handball! I'd of been proper pissed off though if we'd have had it disallowed against us.