Guess the sentence (with answer now added)

paddy

What was the result of his day in court?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. What was the result of his day in court?

• Nothing, let off on a technicality
    • Six months ban
    • One year ban
    • Eighteen month ban and big fine
    • Eighteen month ban and curfew
    • Two year ban and big fine
    • Two year ban and curfew

I told you about this a few weeks ago. The guy who was driving up our road and did this to the garden.

Anyway he was in court last week, charged with drink driving (he was twice the legal limit), nothing else, no dangerous driving or speeding or anything as although he was almost certainly speeding there's no evidence. The police rang us this morning to tell us what the result was. So what do you reckon?

I'll give the result in a couple of days

edit: Those who've seen my status on facebook need not vote...

edit: Ok so one person was right. He got 2 years driving ban and a 6 week curfew. Much better than I was expecting. Was expecting 2 year ban maybe but not the curfew (he got charged court costs as well of course)

I don't think you'd post the topic if it was anything like you'd have wanted so i'll go for the other extreme, off on a technicality.

Unless of course it's the old double bluff and you want people to fulfill their secret desire to be outraged when in fact he actually got a decent sentence.

I'm thinking it's the former still though.

I don't think you'd post the topic if it was anything like you'd have wanted so i'll go for the other extreme, off on a technicality.

Unless of course it's the old double bluff and you want people to fulfill their secret desire to be outraged when in fact he actually got a decent sentence.

I am following this line of thought and I can't be bothered voting.

Couldn't you just tell us?

Don't vote then.

I'm interested to see what punishment people think that people who do things like that get as the result was different from my expectations (picking my words carfully) so was wondering what other people would assume. No-one's forcing anyone to vote.

you've been playing too much poker :-)

Don't vote then.

I'm interested to see what punishment people think that people who do things like that get as the result was different from my expectations (picking my words carfully) so was wondering what other people would assume. No-one's forcing anyone to vote.

I think this, though, and the fact that you posted a poll in the first place may have an impact in some people's votes. I'm not criticising you for doing it, just personally I went for an extreme mainly as an assumption purely because you posted the poll in the first place, and I'm sure others will/have too.

Kind of like when someone goes "Guess how much...(whatever)" and you automatically think it must be something that you'd find surprising.

I think this, though, and the fact that you posted a poll in the first place may have an impact in some people's votes. I'm not criticising you for doing it, just personally I went for an extreme mainly as an assumption purely because you posted the poll in the first place, and I'm sure others will/have too.

:D Well I imagine posting a poll would have an impact on the votes such as the fact that they can actually have a vote whereas if I hadn't they wouldn't be able to...

Yeah I understand what you mean though. I was just wondering if what surprised me would be a surprise to other people in this situation.

I'll put the answer up later tonight I reckon, save waiting until tomorrow.

Two year ban and a big fine for me. I've known a couple of people get banned for drink driving in recent years.

One mate had the back end of his Audi Coupe spin out on the Asda island in Tamworth after a couple of pints of wifebeater in The Boot on a Friday afternoon. His car rolled down the bank backwards and he couldn't get out the ditch. He wasn't drunk, but the cops got to him before the recovery truck got there and he eventually got banned for two years. He was only just over the limit. The cops wouldn't allow the breakdown truck to retrieve the car (there was no damage, it was just stuck) and took it away themselves. They then tried to charge him for recovery and storage, which resulted in him eventually handing the car's V5 over to them.

Another mate, sadly recently deceased, had been out on his bike on a Saturday morning about three or four years ago. He got back, parked his bike on the bricks at the front of his house and went into the house to get changed into t-shirt, shorts and flip flops before taking his dog for a walk. He had a few pints while he was out. When he got back home, he wanted to wheel the bike round to his shed at the back of the house. He had his front door open, his dig jumping up and down and running around him and he put the keys in the ignition, simply to release the steering lock. He never started the bike. Two cops jumped on him, charging him with drink driving, despite the fact he was never going to get on the bike and it was not on a public highway. The also charged him with operating a motorcycle without a helmet. He got a two year ban, and as a result lost £10,000 in bonus payments from his work as he could not drive the company van, picking up his colleagues each day.

I don't drink and drive. The police are absolute bastards for punishing it though.

Â