PL: Bolton h Ratings & Reactions 2009/11/07

limpid

Great result - no surprise that when Carew and Gabby get service they are unplayable.

So message to MON, Heskey and Petrov a spell on the sidelines please.

Also the Bolton back 4 had a mare but to be fair most defences would have struggled against our attack and midfield today - Good balance and people playing in correct positions.

Again MON - No Heskey or Petrov

mr dogg - any thoughts on the lottery numbers?

Nah, I'm done for the day. Tomorrow, Chelsea to win 3-0!

Anyway, if anyone wasn't watching on a stream, make sure to see Carews goal. Brilliant control (for a big man!), strength and finishing. Carew at his absolute be(a)st.

Anyway, if anyone wasn't watching on a stream, make sure to see Carews goal. Brilliant control (for a big man!), strength and finishing. Carew at his absolute be(a)st.

you just dont want to share the jackpot do you?!

Love the stubmling nut megs on Cahill, a massive slice of luck, he deserved it though :)

I've been wanting Albrighton to get a chance but...

1 - Young and Milner fit today so no need.

2 - So glad Gardner (silly arse for getting a yellow) and Delfouneso got on. These two have waited their turn patiently.

Well done MON with the substitutions!

I thought the crossing from both Milner and Young was far better today. Luke Young made a difference too, making it harder for Milner to be shut down.

I thought Carew was MOTM today. He had thrown down the challenge to Zat Knight in the press (in a veiled way) and had two CBs with a point to prove working on him, but he was dominant in the air and on the ground. I loved his goal, shrugged off Knight and squeezed it through Cahill's legs. MON would have been delighted to see that for a number of reasons!

Milner needs to have a rest a bit more often because his ball use was miles better than it has been of late.

Gabby is turning into a real centre forward now. No longer a one trick pony.

Sidwell's endeavour was fantastic today but I feel he is a liability in defence and his shooting / heading is terrible - exemplified by him missing an easy shot on open goal on the penalty rebound.

Clattenburg. He made some really good calls, but really looked like he was trying to make some sort of point to our players and thereby giving the Bolton players licence to smash us with impunity. The penalty was a good call, but what about the 5-6 other times our players were dragged down at set pieces?

Finally, big props to Craig Gardner. Gotta love the way he hadn't been on for a minute before he had smashed two of their players and earned himself a yellow card. Protesting his innocence the whole way. Tee hee.

What a super performance. I'll leave the ratings to everyone else, personally it's nines all around for me, as you can't do much better than 5-1 no matter the opposition. Here are my thoughts after the game.

It's been a frustrating year so far. Will we curse all the stupid dropped points or should we be happy we're so well placed after playing poorly for so long? Today's performance suggests the latter, that we may be over the hangover from last year's collapse and getting back to our best going forward. We knew these players had more to show than the stale football of the last months (even in wins over Fulham and SHA), and it's back again. Hopefully it continues.

How good was NRC and how much of it was down to Bolton being utter pants? Important to find out for the rest of the season. I've supported Petrov and bashed Sidwell a bit but I may have to reassess my views. But like I said, maybe this was just an easy game.

Who's going to take our bloody penalties? Important as we seem to win a few.

EDIT: Forgot to add that the most (only?) worrying thing to come out of today is the fact that we keep falling asleep at the end of the half and end of game. MON needs to really drill it into their skulls that you play to the whistle because it's becoming a problem and they are the most demoralising goals. END EDIT

The whole attitude of the team seemed right today. With City drawing it couldn't have gone too much better. Now I hope to see Utd battered tomorrow just to put a little more icing on an already delicious cake.

I always liked the thought of NRC and Sidwell in the middle how did these do? Only the second home game ive missed this season and we score 5.

they did well - much improved on petrov-sidwell. sidwell had a good game but did his usual daft things like heading over the north stand from the edge of the six yard box and hitting the post from a penalty rebound with the whole goal to aim at. nrc looked good too - you could tell he hasnt played for a while and was a bit off the pace at times but as a partnership they were very effective.

terrific knight and cahill couldnt deal with carew and gabby. i was delighted to see both not come back to haunt as no doubt some would have gone that we should never should ahve sold them for the 2019th time. both were completely rubbish today. 20m for cahill? no chance

was good to see our defence so solid and we looked brilliant going forward. great way to bounce back from the spammers defeat.

would have like to have see albrington given a run out when it was clear we was winning this one

Great result and performance. MON will have a luxury problem when Petrov is back again. Excellent to see NRC and L. Young play again. Should be their places to loose now. Ashley Young playing better now as well, and big credit to Warnock getting forward so the defenders cant double up on Young all the time.

Delfouneso clearly has big potenital and showed some great touches on the ball (as did Delph), although too eager to make an impression and not passing when he should have! Great to see the up and coming talents!

The spirit today was great after the midweek result. Bolton were poor, and we capitalised on that. Perfect match to get the confidence back again for the players and the fans. Now for the continuity.