Emile Heskey - MON's worst signing?

avfc89

Is Heskey MON's worst signing todate?  

196 members have voted

1. 1. Is Heskey MON's worst signing todate?

• Yes
    • No

regardless of the results, i think your 'average' Villa fan started losing faith in him that year, especially combined with the europa debacal.

Nope I don't think that holds up to be honest, even on VT (which has the extremes of opinion both ways) he was always around the 75% approval rating in our polls, so your "average Villa fan" always supported MON

But tbh I think MON's worst buy was Downing, in terms of what he's done and the money spent. Davies is an odd one, because he's either been great or awful, Both of those represent much poorer value for money than Heskey, though I'm not sticking up for Heskey because I do think he's poor now

The Heskey signing was reminiscent of Graham Taylor's cock up in signing Cascarino when we were well set to win the league.

It would be great to see who VT posters prefer out of these two in the great donkey derby?

For me Heskey wins hooves down. Hee Haw! Hee Haw! He can't head, he can't dribble, he can't shoot & very, very rarely hits the back of the net. It's also a misnomer that he creates space for others, he doesn't.

He does have a brilliant 59th touch & a great love affair with the floor.

In fairness, rather than a donkey he's more like a lumbering ox.

John Gregory once said that if he had a gun he would shoot Dwight Yorke!

Don't worry though Yorkie, coz if it's Heskey pulling the trigger, he will miss by Emile! :crylaugh:

Nope I don't think that holds up to be honest, even on VT (which has the extremes of opinion both ways) he was always around the 75% approval rating in our polls, so your "average Villa fan" always supported MON

But tbh I think MON's worst buy was Downing, in terms of what he's done and the money spent. Davies is an odd one, because he's either been great or awful, Both of those represent much poorer value for money than Heskey, though I'm not sticking up for Heskey because I do think he's poor now

Yeah I think the average villa fan "supported" him per-say, like myself. I think we were all happy enough to go along with him as manager, but mostly due to there being nothing better out there and you can't deny the success we have had compared to what we did have.

I think more and more we were getting increasingly frustrated by certain actions and what we could have had with a few changes here and there. I would have been equally as happy for him to go as I was for him to stay, I just would have rather he went at the end of the season so we had time to find a new man.

All in all though, I think most villa fans like myself supported him whilst he was manager.

Not even NRC Bicks?

Surely he is top of your list.

He'd be about 4th. He at least has some merits, the bad points far outweigh the good though

4th?

Downing

NRC

Who are the second and third then?

Not even NRC Bicks?

He'd be about 4th. He at least has some merits, the bad points far outweigh the good though

4th?

Downing

NRC

You know the post of mine, you read the bit about Downing, I could suggest you go and read ALL OF IT

The timing of this particular signing was one of the worst if I remember correctly. At the time we had one of our best chances of mounting a serious challenge for top 4, Heskey was exactly what we didnt need at the time.

Heskey Was the beginning of the end for MON. If there had of been some imagination in that particular transfer window it could have been so different!!

We improved season on season under MON

We finished 6th for the last 3 seasons which isn't exactly improving season on season (excluding cup runs...). I know circumstances with other teams mean that this could be seen as improvement but we were in a position where a player that offers more than Emile could of given us more of an edge. Not to say Emile doesn't offer anything eg. what Fabio saw for England, just that it was the Wrong move at the Wrong time. Which for me makes it a bad signing.

Not even NRC Bicks?

4th?

Downing

NRC

You know the post of mine, you read the bit about Downing, I could suggest you go and read ALL OF IT

:lol:

Downing

Curt

Heskey

Coker

FTW! :detect::mrgreen:

Oh FFS - just give the guy a break.

Fair play to you Woody, you've always defended him on this site. I may be mistaken but surely your in the minority on this one??!!

I think I am, but I standby my point, that No - emile Heskey is not the greatest player in the world............................

But, you don't have a premiership/International career without being half decent. All those managers/players cant be wrong. He must bring something to the table - thats maybe not obvious to the average fan where of course goals speak volumes.

And even if people dont agree with me, he certainly doesnt deserve the level and constant and abuse he gets on here. Id half understand it if he was a Joey Barton figure, but hes clearly a nice guy who does his best.

Some people say he was at fault for not getting 4th a couple of years back.

Its just ludicrous.

I can only put such a hatred down to the fact he used to play for City. I cant see why anyone would/could hate a guy so so much simply because he doesnt score as many goals as he should.

# Not aimed at you - as im unaware of your opinion of him.

He wasnt at fault, Mon was at fault for buying him...which puts him as one of Mons worst signings IMO.

I think hes absolutely rubish, the chances he's had directly in front of goal to simply scupper. You would wish for just about anyone else in the team to be on the end of those chances.

As for holding up the ball and bring other people into the play, how can he do that from the floor?

He's dire IMO and the sooner we get him off the wage bill and have someone else in who adds something to the team the better.

Heskey is/was a good player. I thought he was going to be an excellent signing when he first arrived and I still think he would have been if MON hadn't decided to try and convert him into an attacking CM'er!!

When he has played well in the past he has been the point of the attack, shifting the CB's around and making space for his partner. We have Gabby playing in this position and therefore, invariably, Emile has to drop deep. He hasn't got the touch, energy (at his age) or vision to play there and be productive.

You can't blame Emile for this. It is MON's fault for buying him and playing him out of position IMO.

But, you don't have a premiership/International career without being half decent. All those managers/players cant be wrong. He must bring something to the table - thats maybe not obvious to the average fan where of course goals speak volumes.

And even if people dont agree with me, he certainly doesnt deserve the level and constant and abuse he gets on here. Id half understand it if he was a Joey Barton figure, but hes clearly a nice guy who does his best.

Its just ludicrous.

So very true.

My heart sinks a little when I see him warm up. I just know we are in for a show of falling over and embarrassing misses. As an opposition player I think I'd raise a big smile if I saw him ready to come on against us.

Fair play to you Woody, you've always defended him on this site. I may be mistaken but surely your in the minority on this one??!!

I think I am, but I standby my point, that No - emile Heskey is not the greatest player in the world............................

Its just ludicrous.

I can only put such a hatred down to the fact he used to play for City. I cant see why anyone would/could hate a guy so so much simply because he doesnt score as many goals as he should.

The strange thing though Woody, as you correctly point out, professional opinion within the game certainly supports your point of view or should that be point of few.

I'm with the majority of fans here in that I don't see what Heskey brings to the table apart from winning lots of set pieces & corners when we are defending. Maybe he would be better as a Central defender.

As regards hatred towards him I feel that comment is a little OTT. Obviously I can only give my own personal opinion here but I honestly feel most fans are frustrated by Heskey as opposed to hating him. As you say he is a nice guy & this shows on the pitch. Again, maybe he would be more endearing if he developed a meaner edge to his game?

Bottom line though is he is DEFINITELY not one for me.

Its just ludicrous.

The strange thing though Woody, as you correctly point out, professional opinion within the game certainly supports your point of view or should that be point of few.

I'm with the majority of fans here in that I don't see what Heskey brings to the table apart from winning lots of set pieces & corners when we are defending. Maybe he would be better as a Central defender.

As regards hatred towards him I feel that comment is a little OTT. Obviously I can only give my own personal opinion here but I honestly feel most fans are frustrated by Heskey as opposed to hating him. As you say he is a nice guy & this shows on the pitch. Again, maybe he would be more endearing if he developed a meaner edge to his game?

Bottom line though is he is DEFINITELY not one for me.

I think a lot of fans are frustrated your right but some just hate him. Frustrated fans don't pick faults with a goal a player has scored like a lot did after Rapid -

'' Typical heskey, got in the **** way like the big lump he is '' - Thats not frustration.

'' well im pleased for 2 of the villa players that are in the world cup squad, the other I dont give a shit, I want him nowhere near my club never mind the national team '' - Thats not frustration

Â