NHL

Vojskovoda

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, sexbelowsound said:

Anyone want to explain the value in Phoenix trading for Datsuyk?

He said he wants to go and play in Russia yet they've given up a 1st and 2nd round draft pick for him.

From Arizonas view, they wanted to add the cap hit from Datsyuk on 7,5 million to get to the cap floor. Its not the first time they done like this, they added Chris Prongers contract in the same way Before. Arizona have a very Young team which will develop and want bigger contracts in the future. Arizona will have room to give them bigger contracts. 

Arizona also rated Jakob Chychrun who they picked with the 16th very highly. They overpaid quite much in my opinion but they have many prospects in their organisation so they probably see it as they can afford it.

Still a great trade from Ken Holland who is a master in this business.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, NoelVilla said:

From Arizonas view, they wanted to add the cap hit from Datsyuk on 7,5 million to get to the cap floor. Its not the first time they done like this, they added Chris Prongers contract in the same way Before. Arizona have a very Young team which will develop and want bigger contracts in the future. Arizona will have room to give them bigger contracts. 

Arizona also rated Jakob Chychrun who they picked with the 16th very highly. They overpaid quite much in my opinion but they have many prospects in their organisation so they probably see it as they can afford it.

Cheers, I didn't realise there was a cap floor as well.

19 hours ago, NoelVilla said:

I know Datsyuk is still playing and still pretty good, but don't tell me Chris Pronger is still kickin it? He must be like 45 by now.

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I know Datsyuk is still playing and still pretty good, but don't tell me Chris Pronger is still kickin it? He must be like 45 by now.

He got a bad injury think eye and had to retire but his contract was so long that he was still on Philadelphia books for a while. Think he works for NHL itself now

• Like 1

Post-concussion syndrome was the reason Pronger retired but he had many injuries. I checked, Pronger turns 42 in October. Pronger's contract runs through the 2016-17 season; he will not retire as a player until then. 

Flyers have had some crazy GM's the last few years. Looks better now with Hextall.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Not NHL specific but in finnish hockey league "my team" Ilves (Lynx in english) is leading the quarter-finals 3-2 in their set, four wins to advance, against their fierce local rivals who's been much more succesful in recent years. Most, if not vast majority of fans and pundits gave them very little chances to even win one game against their opponents, who won the championship in the last season and the regular season this year, while Ilves was the last team to qualify to "wild card"-playoffs (which they obviously won). Most of the Ilves' fans are just enjoying the ride as long as it lasts with the mentality "Let's see one game at a time".

A little bit of background, Ilves has very similar history as Aston Villa, used to be one of the most succesful teams/clubs in the "ancient times", but the last championship was in 1985, they got silver in 1990 and 1998 and then bronze in 1989 and 2001. Beside those they've been in lower half or bottom of the league. They were owned by rich finnish-american businessman who's pumped in the money occasionally to keep the team running, but it's been mismanaged pretty damn horribly since the 90s, and most fans grew to be very disgruntled...sound familiar?

Fortunately, he finally sold the team to local businessmen earlier this year, and the new chairman is legendary ex-player who's considered to know what he's doing, and there's whole new buzz and optimism around the place and fans. Let's hope both Ilves and AVFC will get back to the old success in the years to come (Sooner the better!)

Note: I wonder why I seem to pick the teams or clubs who've been succesful in the past with rich history, but less so in recent years.

Edited by Jarpie
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, sexbelowsound said:

This expansion draft is going to be interesting. I'm assuming the unprotected players that get drafted don't have a choice whether they go or not?

Ducks desperately need Bieksa to waive him no trade clause.

Yes unprotected players don't have a choice. Ducks have another option which is interesting; they can trade with Las Vegas to not pick Bieksa for example. Look forward to the playoffs but as you say the expansion draft is interesting. Which goalies do Vegas pick and how many. Think I read that they could pick as many as 8 goalies and then use them as trade leverage.

It's George McPhee who is GM in Vegas. Anything can happen. He is responsible partially for building the strongest contender to the Stanley Cup in my opinion. He also traded Filip Forsberg against Martin Erat which is considered as one of the all-time worst trades.

Some interesting match ups this playoff. That metro division though.. Anyone who meets WSH or PIT in any of the later rounds are going to get caned. My NYR did the right thing in playing for the wild card spot in the metro as that division is crazy good the last few years.

The Rangers meet Montreal in the first round, not too happy about that - but for the Rangers this is a transport year anyway. We need to offload some of the older useless defensemen and let the young guns (Skjei anyone) take over. If Skjei didn't have to constantly save Staal and Girardi's asses I'm sure he'd be defenseman rookie of the year. Great kid.

I expect MTL to play like Boston did back when Julien managed them, borderline with a lot of ugly play. Hopefully New York's speed and offense (Zucc, Grabner, Kreider) can tear their slow Boston style defense a new one.

I'm hoping that Las Vegas will take both Girardi and Staal off our books - and I'm also leaning on letting Henrik go. He's getting old and slow, perfect for that Las Vegas life. 

• 4 weeks later...
Â