NHL

Vojskovoda

I remember switching on to Channel 5's hockey coverage and the game that was on was Detroit Red Wings vs the then, Mighty Ducks. The latter got smashed but for some reason I thought 'These look alright, plus I know them from that film'. Also, maybe its the idea of the plucky underdog that resonates with me. After all, this is on VillaTalk.

I still remember the players now, Paul Kariya, Steve Rucchin, Sami Pahlsson, Andy Mac, Oleg Tverdovsky etc. Only managed to get to see Teemu in a few games of his first stint though. I've been following them ever since. Watch the highlights of every game on NHL.com and download the full games when I can find them.

So how did you guys choose the team you follow?

Are you guys actually staying up to watch the games?

I got up early and happened to catch overtime for the Hawks/Ducks game 4, but otherwise only stay up for Rangers games.

I was a casual fan for a number of years, then as a fan of the Giants/Mets/Nets I'd browse forums where a lot of members would also be Rangers fans and talk about them, post news, etc. so it made sense.

Thank God for the Rangers these past few years though, Villa the Mets, Giants and Nets have been brutal!

• Like 1

On the weekends they show last nights game early in the morning so I watch some of them. Games in the middle of the week is harder cause its hard to avoid to hear the results.

When they started showing games over here Patrick Roy was in goal for Montreal Canadiens so they became my team. Guy Carbonneau became another favourite player during the Stanley Cup final against LA Kings. He played great versus Gretzky.

said earlier in the thread I just got seriously into hockey about 4-5 years ago so decided to pick Senators. A team with history but not as successful anymore just like Villa plus helps they have Karlsson a once in a generation player for me

I think this will be TBs year. Last night they were awful, but they have so many good players offensively that on a bad day they're still going to create good opportunities. I can't see the mediocre goaltending of the Western teams being able to keep them in it.

I'm fan of two teams in NHL actually, my "first" team is Winnipeg Jets, as I was fan of "Jets 1.0" in my teens during the 90s before they were moved to Arizona, and I'm also fan of Chicago Blackhawks. I think it's mostly to do with the logos and the choice of colors.

I'm from Toronto, so I grew up supporting the Leafs which during my childhood was pretty awesome as we were pretty damn good up until like 2004. Think we only made the playoffs once since then :lol: . Last Stanley Cup in '67 too. It's almost like supporting Villa

I remember switching on to Channel 5's hockey coverage and the game that was on was Detroit Red Wings vs the then, Mighty Ducks. The latter got smashed but for some reason I thought 'These look alright, plus I know them from that film'. Also, maybe its the idea of the plucky underdog that resonates with me. After all, this is on VillaTalk.

I still remember the players now, Paul Kariya, Steve Rucchin, Sami Pahlsson, Andy Mac, Oleg Tverdovsky etc. Only managed to get to see Teemu in a few games of his first stint though. I've been following them ever since. Watch the highlights of every game on NHL.com and download the full games when I can find them.

I had the archetypal British sports fan attitude to American sport. All cheerleaders and franchises and adverts spoiling the game. Until I went for a weeks holiday in New York. We wanted to see an event at Madison Sq Garden just to say we had been there and the only thing on while we was there was a New York Rangers ice hockey game. Neither of us had a clue about ice hockey but thought we would give it a go. It was bloody fantastic. The atmosphere was unbelievable and this was 2002 when NYR were pretty rubbish. So NYR became my team. I started watching some ice hockey over here and while it's a good night out it's not exactly the NHL!!. From that I got into baseball and Gridiron too so naturally I followed other New York teams (Mets and Jets). The Jets are the only ones I have yet to see live but that will be sorted this year at Wembley. 

Any visit to The States now always includes a sporting event of some description. This years trip to Dallas will include Cowboys v Patriots and my first dip into the MLS with FC Dallas v Vancouver. I am also hoping to get tickets for Texas v Oklahoma college football but they will be off the scale expensive!!

• Like 3

Also in Florida you have the issue of most of the people there having moved there, especially from the big Eastern cities like New York and Chicago (that the Yankees have spring training nearby so a lot of Yankee fans retire there and a majority of Yankee fans are Ranger fans...)

Disappointing. Last season we weren't close to the best team in the league and made the Finals, this year it was pretty much 1/2 between ourselves and TB and we manage to **** it up with 3 straight awful home performances. Outscored 10-2 in our last 3 at home. Unacceptable.

Great, great season overall though.

Â