General Chat

Stevo985

I have my iPod on shuffle and the same song has just come on twice in a row. There are 3627 songs on the iPod, I'm wondering if any smart mathematicians can tell me what the odds of that happening are?

1/13155129 or 7.6*10^-8 - so close to the odds of winning the lottery

It's actually.... 1 in 3627... 1/13155129 is the odds of a pre-selected song coming up twice in a row but there are 3627 ways that can happen.

And that's only the odds if he just listened to two tracks. Assuming he was listening for a while the odds would be:

(number of tracks listened to - 1)/3627

It was the first song that came up when I hit shuffle, then it came up again for track 2 of 3627.

Here's another one - on Monday I noticed two particularly ugly women on the train. Today (Friday) I saw them again, but this was a different train line, and a different time. Out of a population of 4,000,000, what were the odds of seeing them on the train again? Obviously if it was the same day/time/line it wouldn't be that impressive but it was completely different.

I should enter the lottery this week.

I have my iPod on shuffle and the same song has just come on twice in a row. There are 3627 songs on the iPod, I'm wondering if any smart mathematicians can tell me what the odds of that happening are?

1/13155129 or 7.6*10^-8 - so close to the odds of winning the lottery

It's actually.... 1 in 3627... 1/13155129 is the odds of a pre-selected song coming up twice in a row but there are 3627 ways that can happen.

But it isn't because ipod shuffle is not actually random 8)

I will be spending all day today trying to find journals and articles on state terror, then skim reading them, taking notes, before spending much of the weekend pretending I've read them to write an unmakred 'literature review' by Wednesday for my dissertation justifying the worth of doing it.

Fun fun fun...

I will be spending all day today trying to find journals and articles on state terror, then skim reading them, taking notes, before spending much of the weekend pretending I've read them to write an unmakred 'literature review' by Wednesday for my dissertation justifying the worth of doing it.

Fun fun fun...

When you're a wage slave you'll yearn for the days you were doing that stuff, believe me.

I've no doubt.

But right now this is just... a slog to say the least. Topic has my interest, if I do it well it genuinely (not being full of myself either here, advisors have said the same to me) could be a great bit of work.

But this part of it is just ballache. I mean you've got to do the research eventually, but because of the nature of what I'm writing I have to read an arseload of generalised things nowhere near the topic.

All to prove that the topic is justifiable as a new piece of work.

Fun fun fun...

I have to do the exact same thing, although I've never done this before. Any tips? =/

Â