General Chat

Stevo985

And the uni's wiki is very careful not to show the main campus, outside of the new Interpol building, as it's not a pretty sight, so they instead focus on the Old College on the seafront which I've never had reason to go into.

Don't bother, my experience of it is it's full of old snack machines that are about 50 years old.

A few of my mates are going Aberystwyth, meant to be pretty good.

Any of them decent footballers?

And the uni's wiki is very careful not to show the main campus, outside of the new Interpol building, as it's not a pretty sight, so they instead focus on the Old College on the seafront which I've never had reason to go into.

Don't bother, my experience of it is it's full of old snack machines that are about 50 years old.

Any of them decent footballers?

Not at all.

My pronunciation is the correct one CM, it's how the locals say it in their native tongue, I should know, half of my mother's side of the family come from further up the Ystwyth valley in Ysbyty Ystwyth (there, a place name with two words and no vowels at all) pronounced Us-But-Ee Ust-With (in both instances Chindie is right about the th/f amalgamation sound at the end, it starts off like a TH but ends like an f, much shorter sound)

Oh and if you were interested at all, Aberystwyth simply means the mouth of the River Ystwyth whereas Ysbyty means A church of some bunch of crusading nutjobs from Medieval times by the river Ystwyth. A local Abbey Strata Florida was the burial place of many Welsh Princes (from which it is rumoured that I am descended) and fittingly my Mothers ashes are also buried there along with the rest of her family

Well tell them not to , it's a ghastly place. Huge gangs of tough sinewy men roam the valleys terrorising people with their close-harmony singing. You need half a pint of phlegm in your throat just to pronounce the placenames. Never ask for directions in Wales , you'll be washing spit out of your hair for a fortnight.

Well tell them not to , it's a ghastly place. Huge gangs of tough sinewy men roam the valleys terrorising people with their close-harmony singing. You need half a pint of phlegm in your throat just to pronounce the placenames. Never ask for directions in Wales , you'll be washing spit out of your hair for a fortnight.

I'm sure that wasn't Aber they were talking about in Not The Nine O'clock News

Aber's not bad really but you do occasionally go stir crazy, and if you're into clubs, you're off to the wrong place.

Some of the locals are knobs, some are alright. We were told to avoid one of the locals pubs, the Vale of Rheidol, like the plague, apparently students going in were just asking for trouble. Then last year we go in whilst rather merry, end up there all there night to chucking out time, the landlord shakes our hands as we go out and tells us they don't get enough students and to make sure we go back.

And then you get the ones that hate us, and come out for a fight. Wheat with the chaff and all that I suppose.

ohhh close but no cigar ....

i just felt it appropiate to quote it after slagging awol off for stealing blackadder quotes in another thread :winkold:

ohhh close but no cigar ....

i just felt it appropiate to quote it after slagging awol off for stealing blackadder quotes in another thread :winkold:

I knew it had something to do with Rowan Atkinson

Â