General Chat

Stevo985

I get all these references, I also remember the footballers in cereal packets for Euro 2000.

And you met Matt Berry!!! :shock: :shock:

I still haven't been able to get my Grand National winnings from my Ladbrokes online account. Just remembered this morning. Logged in and tried to get it but it keeps saying I can't withdraw it as there is an error. £200 sitting there! Anyone have any idea why this is happening?

I still haven't been able to get my Grand National winnings from my Ladbrokes online account. Just remembered this morning. Logged in and tried to get it but it keeps saying I can't withdraw it as there is an error. £200 sitting there! Anyone have any idea why this is happening?

Im pretty sure Bof had exactly the same problem but i think it was with PaddyPower.

Are you trying to withdraw to a different card? I think you can only withdraw to the card you made a deposit with.

Couldn't suggest anything other than calling them. They're normally pretty helpful over the 'phone.

Also, you are able to withdraw money from your online account in cash from a shop (you just need to take the card associated with your account and have your log on details, I think).

The gaffer has just informed us that it is upto us if we take Friday off to play golf, sorry...watch the wedding, but it will be without pay!

Tosser! :x

If you're a permanent employee of a company, surely that is illegal, as it is an official bank/public holiday ....

The gaffer has just informed us that it is upto us if we take Friday off to play golf, sorry...watch the wedding, but it will be without pay!

If you're a permanent employee of a company, surely that is illegal, as it is an official bank/public holiday ....

Apparently its not a 'paid holiday day' is the line he's coming out with. He say's its down to his discretion if he pays you or not. And he says he's not.

Apparently its not a 'paid holiday day' is the line he's coming out with. He say's its down to his discretion if he pays you or not. And he says he's not.

Any employment lawyers out there ...?

AFAIK, this friday constitutes a paid public holiday, but I don't know the law on this in minutae.

From looking on the tinterweb, he cant stop us taking the day off as it is a bank/public holiday, but he doesnt have to pay us. Also, how do i stand if ive never signed a contract? Ive been with my firm for 9 years now.

Not the case Jon

"every full time employee is entitled to 28 days paid holidays a year." (thanks to the last Gvmt :-) ), but that includes the typical BH's for the year. So you have

New Years Day

Good Friday

Easter Monday

May Day

Whitsun

August BH

Xmas Day

Boxing Day

i.e. 8, so the law states that anyone working 5 days a week must be given a minimum of 20 days if they have been given the above BH's off.

A lot depends on the wording on your contract of employment

Richard if you have no contract of employment then you will have to have some sort of "work rules" that all abide by. When you joined the company did you sign any sort of acceptance letter? Basically you can be screwed on big style without the backing of agreed T&C's - things not only for holidays but also for notice periods etc

Do you get paid for the Royal Wedding Bank Holiday?

Clarence House has advised us all that Prince William is marrying Kate Middleton on Friday 29th April 2011 and it has been decreed that this will be a Bank Holiday. Irrespective of your feelings towards The Royals, this will probably mean you get an extra day’s holiday so it can’t be bad, can it?

Before you buy the champagne and hang up the bunting, are you so sure that you are going to get paid for this day off? Assuming you are going to simply because it’s a Public Holiday is not such a sound bet as you might have thought.

If you were an employer, how would you feel about losing a day’s productivity and having to pay your staff for sitting at home watching the telly with a box of Kleenex in front of them? My guess is that the first thing you would say is ‘why the hell didn’t they get married on a Saturday like everyone else?’.

Well, they aren’t. So, what does that mean? Surprisingly, it turns out to be quite a complicated question.

The starting point is, as always, your contract of employment. Look at the section that covers ‘Bank Holidays’ – what does it say about them?

There are four obvious possibilities.

The contract says you are entitled to paid Bank Holidays and they are specifically mentioned

If your contract says that you are entitled to Bank Holidays and lists them – e.g. Good Friday, Easter Monday, Christmas Day, New Year’s Day etc, then obviously there will be no mention of the Royal Wedding. Since it is not covered, you are not automatically entitled to a day’s pay.

Whether you work or whether you get paid if you don’t is entirely at the discretion of your employer. Working on the day of the Royal Wedding will only result in normal pay – you won’t be paid at a plus-rate for overtime nor will you get a day off in lieu.

Not coming in to work will constitute absenteeism and employers will naturally be suspicious of any employee claiming to be ‘not feeling well’ on the day of the Royal Wedding.

The contract says you are entitled to paid Bank Holidays and they are not specifically mentioned

If your contract just says that you get Bank Holidays off then that means any and all Bank Holidays even if the number is increased (or decreased, too). Thus you are entitled to a day’s paid holiday and there is nothing the employer can do to stop you taking it.

Of course, if you are needed, they may well offer you an incentive (overtime, a day off in lieu) but they are not obliged to nor are you obliged to accept. It’s just a case of supply and demand.

Your contract says that Bank Holidays are treated like any other working day

If your contract says that Bank Holidays are ordinary working days then it is quite clear – you have absolutely no entitlement. If your company says you must work, then that is what you must do.

Your company is closing for the day

If your company shuts on a normal working day you are in a ‘lay off’ situation. Legally there is no work for you to do (even if there is, really) and the company must pay you at the normal rate for that day although not for overtime or bonuses unless these are guaranteed.

These are all ‘worst case’ type scenarios – i.e. where the employer and employee are in potential conflict over what the entitlement is. In practice, your employer should be posting a memo to all staff stating the company’s position and there is no excuse for them not advising you of this in good time. So, if you aren’t sure of what the score is, ask your boss direct or go to your workers’ representative for clarification.

No doubt there is a good reason for choosing a Friday however it would seem that the Royal Family are, yet again, so far out of touch that they cannot conceive of the chaos that their decision will be causing such as the:

-National loss of productivity

-Lost wages as companies have to pay for absent staff (particularly badly affected are small businesses)

-Number of disciplinary actions brought against employees who skived off on the day

It won’t be joyous news for everyone – maybe it’s time someone told the Royals that.

Not the case Jon

"every full time employee is entitled to 28 days paid holidays a year." (thanks to the last Gvmt :-) ), but that includes the typical BH's for the year. So you have

New Years Day

Good Friday

Easter Monday

May Day

Whitsun

August BH

Xmas Day

Boxing Day

i.e. 8, so the law states that anyone working 5 days a week must be given a minimum of 20 days if they have been given the above BH's off.

A lot depends on the wording on your contract of employment

I guess this covers things like full time restaurant staff etc and other leisure/retail industry workers.

So, basically, all BH's are just part of a 28 day entitlement, and this additional day is only granted at the benevolence of your employer?

Swindle!! :lol:

Â